Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Right there with you Tony!!!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, I have a problem. I simply love full auto.

Take a moment and look at the world: How many countries are there that you would actually live in, and raise a family in, that allow civilian ownership of full-autos?

Now realize that there are about 180,000 transferable MGs available for civilian ownership, and probably more than half of those are in museums or in LE inventories which will never be sold to the public.

And how many of those remaining MGs belong to folks who own more than one?

Buy a transferable MG and you are among maybe 50,000 Americans who own one. Out of more than 330 million Americans, these 50,000 individuals get to exercise one of the few great remaining freedoms to law-abiding citizens anywhere on earth.

Every time I shoot my Colt M16A1 or Uzi, I am thrilled by that. Every time I let someone else shoot them, I am thrilled by that same realization, and by their "first-time full-auto grin" when they hand it back to me.

No new $30-40k vehicle has ever made me feel that way. And I don't think it ever will.

Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well part of it is new people in the game. I never took NFA stuff seriously until I heard at the end of 2013 they were talking about 41p. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm looking for my 5th MG
View Quote

Yep. Of the four new gun shops that have opened in my neighborhood since President Obama was elected, half of them sell tax stamp gear like SBR's etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK, as noted above, I do support Nolo's efforts, and I stopped renewing my membership in the NRA when they OK'd the Hughes Amendment to FOPA in '86.

But:

I believe machine guns are still worth sacrificing everything for, to buy at today's prices.

The last new car I bought was in 1994; all were bought used, since then (that includes my two current cars, a '97 Camaro SS and a 2006 Explorer 4x4). My gun collection went from huge to just the ones I could not live without ... all to generate $$$ to buy (and feed) MGs.

OK, I have a problem. I simply love full auto.

Take a moment and look at the world: How many countries are there that you would actually live in, and raise a family in, that allow civilian ownership of full-autos?

Now realize that there are about 180,000 transferable MGs available for civilian ownership, and probably more than half of those are in museums or in LE inventories which will never be sold to the public.

And how many of those remaining MGs belong to folks who own more than one?

Buy a transferable MG and you are among maybe 50,000 Americans who own one. Out of more than 330 million Americans, these 50,000 individuals get to exercise one of the few great remaining freedoms to law-abiding citizens anywhere on earth.

Every time I shoot my Colt M16A1 or Uzi, I am thrilled by that. Every time I let someone else shoot them, I am thrilled by that same realization, and by their "first-time full-auto grin" when they hand it back to me.

No new $30-40k vehicle has ever made me feel that way. And I don't think it ever will.

Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

Couldn't agree it have said it any better myself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

True, but...

a typical .22 caliber revolver in a typical jurisdiction doesn't

- cost 4-5 figures (possibly a year's disposable income for the average working Joe)

- require a 6-9 month wait if you want to buy one out-of-state

- require you to research spare parts availability for a mechanical device that is, at a minimum,
30+ years old (this assumes you plan to actually shoot it, not just collect)

- necessitate careful vetting of the seller (if not a dealer) to make sure you're not scammed

- burn possibly hundreds of dollars of ammo per range trip (you'd have to be pretty hard-core to
do this with a .22 revolver, even at current prices)

Not trying to be disagreeable, I just think there's a bit of difference between the
two.  There are quite a few advantages to modularity, especially if you can only
afford one MG.

Just IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
When you buy a 22 caliber revolver, you don't insist that it also fire 9mm.

True, but...

- cost 4-5 figures (possibly a year's disposable income for the average working Joe)

- require you to research spare parts availability for a mechanical device that is, at a minimum,

- necessitate careful vetting of the seller (if not a dealer) to make sure you're not scammed

- burn possibly hundreds of dollars of ammo per range trip (you'd have to be pretty hard-core to

Not trying to be disagreeable, I just think there's a bit of difference between the
two.  There are quite a few advantages to modularity, especially if you can only
afford one MG.

Just IMO.

I agree with you completely, except to say that versatility is a big factor to the people who put a premium on versatility.

And it's not a big factor to people who don't.

Gun collecting is like any other form of collecting, people like what they like and don't like what they don't like.

I did a thread in the general discussion forum asking what MG people would most want to have, the answers were all over the place.  

It seemed to me that MGs were rated on their coolness factor far more than on their utility.

The MG42 showed up in the thread a lot more than I was expecting.  it's a nice gun but I can think of better ways to send money.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree with you completely, except to say that versatility is a big factor to the people who put a premium on versatility.

Gun collecting is like any other form of collecting, people like what they like and don't like what they don't like.

I did a thread in the general discussion forum asking what MG people would most want to have, the answers were all over the place.  

It seemed to me that MGs were rated on their coolness factor far more than on their utility.

The MG42 showed up in the thread a lot more than I was expecting.  it's a nice gun but I can think of better ways to send money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but...

afford one MG.

Just IMO.

The only issue is with a poll in GD is 99% of people who responded don't have any skin the game. It's just my opinion but when you actually write the check for something worth more than the car you drive it's nice to know you're buying more than just cool factor. I personally want to get as much out of it as possible, be it different calibers, accessories, etc...all things people who are just dreaming about owning a MG don't think about.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The only issue is with a poll in GD is 99% of people who responded don't have any skin the game. It's just my opinion but when you actually write the check for something worth more than the car you drive it's nice to know you're buying more than just cool factor. I personally want to get as much out of it as possible, be it different calibers, accessories, etc...all things people who are just dreaming about owning a MG don't think about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but...

afford one MG.

Just IMO.

I'd agree. If I was asked what machine gun I'd most want? Ma deuce. If I actually was writing the check and have to pay for ammo? M16 or HK sear. Much more practical in reality.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd agree. If I was asked what machine gun I'd most want? Ma deuce. If I actually was writing the check and have to pay for ammo? M16 or HK sear. Much more practical in reality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but...

afford one MG.

Just IMO.

Yes, talking about what you'd like to have is very different from actually buying it.  

But if you look at how the actual MG market is priced out, the buyers seem to generally ignore the "versatility factor".

A Colt M16A1 is priced about the same as a plain-Jane WWII parkerized Thompson 1928A1.

It's not like MG buyers are fighting over the "versatile" guns and ignoring the single-caliber guns.

It's just a personal preference, some guys want a Thompson, some want an M16, some want a M3 grease gun, etc.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I think 41F has dried the market up some.

Frankky transferables are getting to the point you might as well open up shop and get your SOT.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:26:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Frankky transferables are getting to the point you might as well open up shop and get your SOT.
View Quote

Agreed, especially when looking at belt Feds and other MGs that are worth as much if not more than some single family homes.
the cheapest entry level subguns like a mac are Going for what, $5-6k? In a couple years even those will be unobtainable to the avg joe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1

If they become readily available, I'll be looking at an m16 for sure.

Do it for the people Nolo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nolo's cases has all the potential buyers waiting for cheap new MGs.  I have faith...

+1

I'll just form 1 everything.

You can bet that auto FCGs will increase in price tenfold overnight.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Agreed, especially when looking at belt Feds and other MGs that are worth as much if not more than some single family homes.

the cheapest entry level subguns like a mac are Going for what, $5-6k? In a couple years even those will be unobtainable to the avg joe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Autoweapins.com SWD M11/9.  $9225.00. This is the 4-5th $9k + M11 I've seen since Feb.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Autoweapins.com SWD M11/9.  $9225.00. This is the 4-5th $9k + M11 I've seen since Feb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

autoweapons prices are LOL

the best info gunbroker completed auctions, they are generally the "top of the market" prices for guns that are actually being sold.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nolo's cases has all the potential buyers waiting for cheap new MGs.  I have faith...

+1

Nolo case is a poorly orchestrated pipe dream. I would love to see 922(o) go away, would gladly take a major hit in the value of my MGs in exchange for the ability to buy/make new MGs. I don't believe Nolo is the means to see that end.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't want to be the eternal naysayer but I think that even if Nolo was perfect, it would still be useless.

Opening the registry to 100s of thousands of brand new MGs would be the political bombshell of political bombshells.

What do all political battles amount to in the USA?  It comes down to the number of politicians that support it VS the number of politicians that oppose it.

What politician is going to support opening the registry?  How many politicians have even mentioned it in the last 35 years?

There's no harm in trying, but if you're waiting for the registry to open before you buy an MG, I think you're going to die a disappointed man.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't want to be the eternal naysayer but I think that even if Nolo was perfect, it would still be useless.

Opening the registry to 100s of thousands of brand new MGs would be the political bombshell of political bombshells.

What do all political battles amount to in the USA?  It comes down to the number of politicians that support it VS the number of politicians that oppose it.

What politician is going to support opening the registry?  How many politicians have even mentioned it in the last 35 years?

There's no harm in trying, but if you're waiting for the registry to open before you buy an MG, I think you're going to die a disappointed man.

View Quote

The only two congressmen I can ever recall ever being pro MG ownership are Ron and Rand Paul. Good politicians but admittedly some what of outcasts in Washington. While they have at times had a strong following there just isn't the support at this time to get The Hughes or NFA repealed at this point in time. People should seriously just be thankful we have the freedoms we do and continue to fight for what we have.

The left is smart, they realized a long time ago they couldn't just pass one law or win one court case and make guns go away. It had to be a slow and methodical erosion of our second amendment freedoms one at a time over the course of many decades all while changing people perceptions of firearms as a bad thing through use of the mass media and help from celebrities and other social figures the common folk idolize. We need to use that same strategy against them, and win one little battle at a time and slowly build an indestructible foundation of the second amendment for future generations. If we make smart decisions now someday our children or grandchildren may be lucky enough to live in a nation where MGs are legal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

If successful, it would also likely cause the value of an RDIAS to plummet from $25,000 to $25 or less.  Other machine gun values may be relatively unaffected (e.g., Colt made Model 1921 Thompsons) while others affected by more or less significant amounts.

All hypothetical and not probable anyway.

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

And keep in mind that if the Hughes Amendment were judicially invalidated (not likely, IMO), it's not as if Congress
would just stand by and do nothing.  I strongly suspect that the legislative outcome would be something similar to
the reaction after Haynes vs. United States (1968) --  in short that decision gutted the NFA (as it then existed),
So congress just re-wrote the law to comply with the decision...  and I think that SCOTUS actually gave Congress some amount
of time to "fix" the law before the ruling was binding, so there was never a period of "anyone can have an MG".

So, what if?  Well, Right off the bat, an obvious angle (for those supporting gun control) would be to "update" the NFA tax to something
"more appropriate" (from their perspective)... maybe $10K/transfer, maybe more than that.

The unfortunate reality is that even most gun owners don't support MG ownership, let alone the liberal hipsters
in today's urban centers.  I think the most we would likely ever see would be some sort of "curio and relic" exemption,
such that an original machine gun that was (for instance) over 100 yrs old could be registered/imported.  But even
that's a long shot.  Both the Heller and McDonald vs Chicago rulings were 5-4...  and Scalia (one of the 5) is now
dead.  

The only bright spot I see is that the recent surge in suppressor popularity has introduced a lot of gun owners to
the world of NFA.  (I've read that there was originally every intent to ban suppressors in '86, but debate time ran
out before that amendment could be offered...)

My $0.02

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you guys are forgetting the gun rights freight train that has been rolling non stop for the last 20 years.

Heller, McDonald, CCW in just about every state, constitutional carry in 8(?) states now, shall-sign NFA, removal of defense to prosecution statutes. We have more gun freedom NOW than in the past 100 years (with some obvious exclusions).

Not to mention machine gun tourism. I think if Nolo gets 922(o) abolished, the libs will scream blood in the streets and that'll be the end of it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think you guys are forgetting the gun rights freight train that has been rolling non stop for the last 20 years.

Heller, McDonald, CCW in just about every state, constitutional carry in 8(?) states now, shall-sign NFA, removal of defense to prosecution statutes. We have more gun freedom NOW than in the past 100 years (with some obvious exclusions).

Not to mention machine gun tourism. I think if Nolo gets 922(o) abolished, the libs will scream blood in the streets and that'll be the end of it.

View Quote

Suppose you walked around the local supermarket and asked everyone there if everyone who wants one should be able to buy a brand new machinegun for $800 at the the local gun shop.

Out of 100 random people, how many would say yes?

My guess would be 2 or 3.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Suppose you walked around the local supermarket and asked everyone there if everyone who wants one should be able to buy a brand new machinegun for $800 at the the local gun shop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I'd say 0.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Suppose Nolo's case wins, MGs are legal. How many people are actually going to contact their rep about it?

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Here is one....

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
yep
View Quote

add me to the list please....
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Well, the first thing that would happen is that the national media would trumpet "Now everyone can own a machine gun!!!!"

That alone would make it a political issue. And one the politicians are forced to comment by reporters, etc., it becomes an issue which must be addressed.

In the view of the vast majority of Americans, machine guns are already illegal, and have always been illegal; only criminals can get them. (I'm always amazed by the intelligent, otherwise well-educated people who tell me this is the absolute truth.)

I would expect the public reaction, and the level of controversy, to be equal to the courts ruling that heroin, crack cocaine, etc., are not illegal after all, and may be lawfully purchased and continually used by anyone.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

They're saying that now.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They're saying that now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the first thing that would happen is that the national media would trumpet "Now everyone can own a machine gun!!!!"

That alone would make it a political issue. And one the politicians are forced to comment by reporters, etc., it becomes an issue which must be addressed.

In the view of the vast majority of Americans, machine guns are already illegal, and have always been illegal; only criminals can get them. (I'm always amazed by the intelligent, otherwise well-educated people who tell me this is the absolute truth.)

I would expect the public reaction, and the level of controversy, to be equal to the courts ruling that heroin, crack cocaine, etc., are not illegal after all, and may be lawfully purchased and continually used by anyone.

They're saying that now.

Everyone can already have a machine gun: slide fire stock.

Sounds the same and spits the brass out equally fast, so it's the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:31:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're saying that now.

Nope
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Nope

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're saying that now.

Nope

Not according to soccer mom and dad.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#29]
if machine guns were legal to mfg again, they would probably sell for less than a semi auto like in the old days...
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
if machine guns were legal to mfg again, they would probably sell for less than a semi auto like in the old days...
View Quote

Doubt it. Modern times are totally different and practicality means nothing to so many gun owners out there.  Think of all the neck beards too.  Everyone wants full auto (I'm on the same boat) even though it is mostly pointless and more expensive to shoot and maintain.  Long story short, we are dumb when it comes to being practical than our grandparents, and I'm totally on that same boat.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're saying that now.

Nope

Not even close.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Not even close.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're saying that now.

Nope

Not even close.

Fellas, I get that it's not the same thing.

It's obvious it's not the exact same thing.

My point is that the trend in bump fire stocks are effectively MGs for the masses. If people become attenuated to the sounds and sights of MGs, via the bump fire stocks, maybe...just maybe...people will open their minds.

Who knows what'll happen after that. Maybe one day the distinction between transferable and post sample will disappear from the law. Then I can buy a G36. Just maybe.

But it'll never happen if you guys keep reminding people how inferior their bump fire stock is compared to a real machine gun.

Hope never dies.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top