Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2016 3:42:17 PM EDT
Where the hell are the machineguns?
Lately, I haven't seen anything on the advertised market for MGs.
All SWD M11 just disappeared from the face of the earth and DIAS, LL, Sendra RR, you name it.
What the heck just happened?
We experienced a temporary shortage or overflow but not at this extent.
Is it because of 41P or everyone holding it for some reason?
I've been watching the market since early 2000, and it seems pretty bizarre.
Anyone care to explain?

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Fixed supply?

They quit making them for us lowly citizens in 1986.

I thought price and availability were insane 10 years ago, man was I wrong, they were just getting started!
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Even with fixed supply it wasn't that bad.
For example, M11 was always plentiful... even on gunbroker, I don't see a single one for sale.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruben has 60+ MGs for sale.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Nolo's cases has all the potential buyers waiting for cheap new MGs.  I have faith...
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I noticed the same thing - which is why I finally decided to take the plunge this month. I'm a newb in the MG world, but I think these high prices are the new norm (barring legislation). So for me, it was now or never.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
How many Reising MGs do you want?  Plenty of them for sale.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure how many people will want them.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many Reising MGs do you want?  Plenty of them for sale.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I was actually going to post something similar this week. I watch the m16 market closely and recently it has dried up. Normally 20+ transferable for sale on GB I think there are like 5 at the moment. Reuben not all has a page with dozens he has 4? Subguns and sturm is just as bad.

Maybe it's 41p, could be election year, tax refund season, enconomy is finally picking up, etc...
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I''m suspecting that it's strongly related to 41P + tax refund season.

Quoted:
I was actually going to post something similar this week. I watch the m16 market closely and recently it has dried up. Normally 20+ transferable for sale on GB I think there are like 5 at the moment. Reuben not all has a page with dozens he has 4? Subguns and sturm is just as bad.

Maybe it's 41p, could be election year, tax refund season, enconomy is finally picking up, etc...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is this "refund" you speak of?

I always end up paying.....damn gov always wants more, more, more.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't think it's anything really.  It's always in waves. I just keep buying regardless.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm thinking it's got to do with election year coming. If at anytime you've been thinking about buying one NOW IS THE TIME!
$9000.00 for a M-11? WTF
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#13]
No time to buy like the present. I was able to snag a local m11 for $4500 this winter. I want another MG and next year I might have enough spare cash to do so but Im afraid prices will continue to skyrocket with election year and 41p business. Ive been close to buying one of those Sten guns from Rueben but keep talking myself out of it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
^sten, more fun than Mac

I have a feeling that if a republican wins, that we might see more MGs hit the market again.
I think people are nervous, if Hillary gets elected, almost assuredly there will be a ban(on what, no clue yet).  So people are holding onto what they have until we know what the immediate future holds.

If the market gets flooded, prices MAY dip, possibly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm glad I finally got into the market.  41p and Hillary potential finally pushed me over the edge.  Then when I finally decided to buy one, it took me a while to find one at a decent price.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:29:47 AM EDT
[#16]
"shooters" buy and sell guns all the time

"collectors" hoard guns and don't sell them

the higher the price of these guns gets, the fewer of them will emerge from gun collections

the scarcer they get, the more precious they will seem to the people who buy things just for the sake of owning them

3 years ago there were lots of FNC sears on the market

one was for sale for a month for $2700 and no takers

try to find one now.  they all disappeared into collections.

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

the higher the price of these guns gets, the fewer of them will emerge from gun collections

the scarcer they get, the more precious they will seem to the people who buy things just for the sake of owning them

View Quote

That was more then 3 years ago even.

I bought my sear 3 years ago for 4700 and it was a WTB add I had up for atleast a year.  I don't think I've even seen one advertised in the last 4 years.

The last time I saw a $3000 FNC sear was that large batch that hit the market at once (2009?).

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fixed supply?

I thought price and availability were insane 10 years ago, man was I wrong, they were just getting started!
View Quote

No shit.

I wish I'd bought then, instead of "waiting till I could afford it".    The idea of a $4K M16 is pure fantasy now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#19]
My friendly machinegun dealer said it has been near impossible to find inventory lately. He attributes this to several factors; 1) Continued unease about the Global economy - compared to stocks, commodities and even PMs, MGs are a more sound and stable investment (that in itself is an alarming statement). 2) IF 41f is not rolled out properly, it will likely lead to a cluster-fuck of rejected forms until Trustees, Dealers and ATF Reviewers all begin to fully understand the new requirements and processes. People are buying what they want now. 3) There are about 176K fully transferable MGs in the registry. Despite what the Liberal media wants you to believe, gun owners as a percentage of the population is WAAAAY up and that means there is increased interest in MGs as well. Increased demand on a fixed supply means less availability and ever increasing prices. Figure that individual MGs increase in price 10% every time they transfer on a form 4. Are there ups and downs and risk? Certainly but for the foreseeable future it is a rising tide.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
makorov
Just curious who your friendly MG dealer is
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Well part of it is new people in the game. I never took NFA stuff seriously until I heard at the end of 2013 they were talking about 41p. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm looking for my 5th MG
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nolo's cases has all the potential buyers waiting for cheap new MGs.  I have faith...
View Quote

+1

If they become readily available, I'll be looking at an m16 for sure.

Do it for the people Nolo!
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bought my sear 3 years ago for 4700 and it was a WTB add I had up for atleast a year.  I don't think I've even seen one advertised in the last 4 years.

The last time I saw a $3000 FNC sear was that large batch that hit the market at once (2009?).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In January 2012, sears were selling for around $3300 and you would see the occasional one for under $3000

By mid year the price was around $3750

In August 2012 somebody dumped 14 sears on the market priced at $2700 each.

So it was about 3.5 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well part of it is new people in the game. I never took NFA stuff seriously until I heard at the end of 2013 they were talking about 41p. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm looking for my 5th MG
View Quote

The increase in price is 100% due to the new people in the game.

Price is the agreement between supply and demand.

If the supply stays the same and the demand stays the same, then the price stays the same.

If the supply shrinks, the price goes up.  If the demand increases, the price goes up.

Supply is the first half of the equation.  The supply has not changed in 30 years.  Therefore, since the supply isn't decreasing, then the increase in price isn't due to the supply.

Demand is the second half of the equation. Since the supply is fixed, then obviously the price increases are being caused by increased demand.  

What caused the increased demand?

I figure two things:

1. The internet.  Running videos of machineguns on youtube night and day is bound to make new people interested in owning one.

2. Baby boomers.  Lots of engineers, doctors, lawyers, dentists out there are making awesome money and have their house paid off and their kids are through school.  Lots of free cash to buy the neato stuff they always wanted.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
makorov
View Quote

Bernie with B3 Armament in Chantilly, VA. A real stand-up guy. Honest, trustworthy and he knows MGs/NFA. If he doesn't know, he is the first to admit it and he will find out.  IM me if you want his number.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bernie with B3 Armament in Chantilly, VA. A real stand-up guy. Honest, trustworthy and he knows MGs/NFA. If he doesn't know, he is the first to admit it and he will find out.  IM me if you want his number.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
makorov

+1 for B3 Bernie. Great guy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In January 2012, sears were selling for around $3300 and you would see the occasional one for under $3000

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked at my paperwork 11/13, $4500.  I think I put the WTB add up in JAN 13 after not seeing any for awhile.  It was only one of two responses I got (other was $5000).

And as you LOVE to argue with me, they were $3000 each, 18 total, put on Sterm on 08/16/2012.  

50% price appreciation in a little over a year is wild.  Any more incorrect info to post?

Oh, any your wrong about the $3750 mid year too. Average in May 2013 was $9500 for a complete gun.  As you are such the FNC expert you will know that $3200 is a good semi number, $800 for conversion, leaves $5500 left for the sear.  Which I what I observed during that time ($4500+).

SHOCKING, as this is exactly what this chart is showing ($4500-5000 in mid 2013):

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No shit.

I wish I'd bought then, instead of "waiting till I could afford it".    The idea of a $4K M16 is pure fantasy now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fixed supply?

No shit.

$4K?  I paid $800 for an Olympic Arms/Frankford Arsenal conversion !  In the 1980s!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
makorov

I like Berine and Dennis and Jenni Todd. They always set up together at shows. Had some good deals down at knob creek.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I like Berine and Dennis and Jenni Todd. They always set up together at shows. Had some good deals down at knob creek.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
makorov

Yes! Dennis & Jenny Todd are "tier 1" as well
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#31]
it's interesting that reisings seem to have not budged they've been around 5500 for a long while

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FWIW, I believe that part of the reason the number of advertised transferable MGs for sale is that, thanks to the Internet, the number of people who now know that MGs may be purchased by any law-abiding individual has increased vastly -- so that today, many, many more are being sold locally, without ever reaching the Internet sales sites.

I do understand that -- first, I would rather buy locally, and many folks will pay a premium to do so. Why post an ad and deal with tire-kickers, when you can show your MG to someone FTF and the can see it's real ... and maybe they are even willing to pay over-market prices?

I only post ads when I can't find someone local. That is happening less and less often.

YMMV.
View Quote

True.

...and I'll add that at this point (30 years later) every fully transferable MG is a "one of a kind" item. Being able to see it, handle it and inspect it is critical. Lots of MGs with issues are sold online as "excellent condition, like new!". The unscrupulous dealers know that given the process, the end buyer typically has ZERO recourse if dissatisfied with a MG purchase upon final transfer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FWIW, I believe that part of the reason the number of advertised transferable MGs for sale is that, thanks to the internet, the number of people who now know that MGs may be purchased by any law-abiding individual has increased vastly -- so that today, many, many more are being sold locally, without ever reaching the internet sales sites.

I do understand that -- first, I would rather buy locally, and many folks will pay a premium to do so. Why post an ad and deal with tire-kickers, when you can show your MG to someone FTF and the can see it's real ... and maybe they are even willing to pay over-market prices?

I only post ads when I can't find someone local. That is happening less and less often.

YMMV.
View Quote

There is Def more desire for FTF transfers when it comes to MG due To their excessive price, not many people like paying $20k+ to some random person on the Internet for a MG they've never seen in person and then waiting 6-9 mo to find out if they got scammed or not.

Plus with the market as hot as it is guns don't sit around long, they get gobbled up by buyers as soon as they are for sale giving the impression of little or no MG for sale. MG can be posted for sale, a deal struck and the ad taken down all within hours or even minutes. A lot don't even reach that point as a lot of sellers have a list of people they know who will buy their guns if they ever choose to sell, I have multiple people who have told me to contact them if I sell mine, and it's by no means a rare MG
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
FWIW, I believe that part of the reason the number of advertised transferable MGs for sale is that, thanks to the internet, the number of people who now know that MGs may be purchased by any law-abiding individual has increased vastly -- so that today, many, many more are being sold locally, without ever reaching the internet sales sites.

YMMV.
View Quote

I tend to agree, but at the same time, I don't see local MGs for sale often.  I did manage to score my M16 through a local classified ad, but that's pretty much the only one I've ever seen publicly listed in my area.  And Jax is huge, with lots of money and lots of shooters.

Even those I interact with on a daily or weekly basis, who are really well-connected in the firearms community up here, don't see MGs for sale very often locally.  I suppose it could be that guns don't get publicly listed because closely-connected people are buying the guns before they hit the open market, so that one has to know a person who has one before that person decides to sell one.  If local guns are indeed changing hands, that's the only way I can see it happening aside from gunbroker or sturmgewehr.  Word of mouth in the area or local publication doesn't seem to yield much in my experience.

Which is why I posted a WTB on sturm for my HK sear and was contacted within a week by a nice dealer in VA who offered me exactly what I wanted for a fantastic price and great payment terms.  Couldn't have gone smoother.  I think, by and large, that's the way business gets done these days.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#36]
one of the least popular guns. nobody wants them.

Quoted:
it's interesting that reisings seem to have not budged they've been around 5500 for a long while

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yep. Ugly, awkward, finicky, expensive mags.

It's like dating a fat chick who doesn't even put out

ETA- Now if somebody like Richard Lage came up with a plug and play upgrade using the original receiver, then you would likely see prices sky rocket.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I tend to agree, but at the same time, I don't see local MGs for sale often.
View Quote

I sold several MGs without placing an ad. Bought my last two without seeing an ad. As mentioned, I have a phone list of people to call when I want to sell, and they also have my number when they want to sell.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Can I join that exclusive VIP club?

Quoted:

I sold several MGs without placing an ad. Bought my last two without seeing an ad. As mentioned, I have a phone list of people to call when I want to sell, and they also have my number when they want to sell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tend to agree, but at the same time, I don't see local MGs for sale often.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#41]
yep
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Mine ran 100%, so not finicky in my experience.

And I don't consider this ugly -- in fact, she was too pretty to shoot, which is why I sold her:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/reisingrigSMALLsubguns.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/reisingreceiver.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA- Now if somebody like Richard Lage came up with a plug and play upgrade using the original receiver, then you would likely see prices sky rocket.

Mine ran 100%, so not finicky in my experience.

And I don't consider this ugly -- in fact, she was too pretty to shoot, which is why I sold her:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/reisingrigSMALLsubguns.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/reisingreceiver.jpg

I am sure she had a great personality too but I still wouldn't want one
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Got several lowers ready to roll as SOON as Nolo finishes bitch slapping the ATF.
Also, the binary triggers and bump fire stocks are relieving some of the demand.
They're backasswards on holding onto them in case FHRC is anointed POTUS, she'll ban & demand their surrender. Why hold onto them?

My 2¢.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Got several lowers ready to roll as SOON as Nolo finishes bitch slapping the ATF.
Also, the binary triggers and bump fire stocks are relieving some of the demand.
They're backasswards on holding onto them in case FHRC is anointed POTUS, she'll ban & demand their surrender. Why hold onto them?

My 2¢.
View Quote

You're going to be holding onto those lowers for a long time. Do yourself a favor and SBR or sell them as they will never be a MG.

the nolo case was weak to begin with, and last I heard it go rejected by a lower court and they appealed to a higher one? I don't see that ever amounting to much.

Slide fires are a joke, always have been and always will be, they are good for making noise with some buddies but that's it. Most ranges don't even allow them. Binary triggers seem to be a bit more legit, especially the Echo, but at the end of the day it can at best be compare to a 2 shot burst trigger, assuming it runs right and doesn't have hammer follow issues. And when is the last time you've seen a real MG with a 2 shot burst trigger?

MG are going no where, except up in price. Glad I bought when I did and my only regret is not buying another.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Some guys fret about losing money on MGs, they always say it will happen "by the stroke of a pen".

Prince the singer just dropped dead at 57.  Did you think he was anticipating that?  Or did he expect to live to 100?

Anyone looking for a guaranteed ROI was born on the wrong planet.

I don't think I would have 100s of thousands of dollars tied up in MGs but I would buy an UZI and an M16 without a moment's hesitation.

If you play it too safe, your life turns into a big fat boring waste of time.

Buying a low cost MG like a Reising or MAC seems like a no-brainer to me.

Shoot it for a couple years, sell it, pocket the profit.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think plug and play is overrated.

I'd rather have a Thompson than an M16, even though the Thompson is a one trick pony and the M16 is an erector set.

How many regular guns have the ability to presto change-o into other guns?  

When you buy a 22 caliber revolver, you don't insist that it also fire 9mm.

I studied the Reising very carefully, it seems like a nice option for a first time buyer.

Especially now that MACs have jumped up in price so high.

The Reising did not perform well in the jungle, because of corrosion problems.  But it's actually a well designed gun.   Natives of Guadalcanal probably should upgrade to a Thompson however.

As far as looks go, it has that old school MP18 or lanchester wood and steel look, not a bad looking gun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#48]
When you buy a 22 caliber revolver, you don't insist that it also fire 9mm.
View Quote

True, but...

a typical .22 caliber revolver in a typical jurisdiction doesn't

- cost 4-5 figures (possibly a year's disposable income for the average working Joe)

- require a 6-9 month wait if you want to buy one out-of-state

- require you to research spare parts availability for a mechanical device that is, at a minimum,
30+ years old (this assumes you plan to actually shoot it, not just collect)

- necessitate careful vetting of the seller (if not a dealer) to make sure you're not scammed

- burn possibly hundreds of dollars of ammo per range trip (you'd have to be pretty hard-core to
do this with a .22 revolver, even at current prices)

Not trying to be disagreeable, I just think there's a bit of difference between the
two.  There are quite a few advantages to modularity, especially if you can only
afford one MG.

Just IMO.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Very well said and agreed 1000%

[b]

And how many of those remaining MGs belong to folks who own more than one?

Buy a transferable MG and you are among maybe 50,000 Americans who own one. Out of more than 330 million Americans, these 50,000 individuals get to exercise one of the few great remaining freedoms to law-abiding citizens anywhere on earth.

Every time I shoot my Colt M16A1 or Uzi, I am thrilled by that. Every time I let someone else shoot them, I am thrilled by that same realization, and by their "first-time full-auto grin" when they hand it back to me.

No new $30-40k vehicle has ever made me feel that way. And I don't think it ever will.

Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top