Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2016 7:35:17 PM EDT
I might have the opportunity to pick up a Reising. I really don't know much about these guns, but i was told they're fast, and that's what I like! My primary concern is mags. I heard 30 rounders are out there, but are they no longer being produced? Anyway, thoughts on the SMG would be appreciated! Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want fast, then you should consider M11 in stock configuration.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Keystone Arms has reportedly bought all of Ken Christie's inventory, including his magazine dies, and plans to start producing them. See here.

They do run fast, but not as fast as they seem. I was guessing mine ran around 1000 rpm, but when I clocked it  I was getting a little less than 800. They sometimes seem tempermental. Some days mine will run flawless. Others, not so much. Using the same ammo, mags, etc.  

It's a fun gun, but I don't pull it out all that often. I bought it so I would have a closed bolt gun for the Knob Creek subgun match. It also gives me a "Classic" gun for the matches that have that category. But I haven't been to one of those since ISSMC ended.

Here's a run from that match:

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! Availability of mags was my primary concern. I'm going to arrange for a test fire of the gun, but it seems to be what I'm looking for!
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a relatively active Reisings Forum on the machinegunboards.com website.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had mine for about 9 years and it has luckily been 99% problem free.  I think because it is final year production gun (1957).  With about 1,000 rounds or so through the gun, I haven't had to replace any parts and if you need any, most of the them are available at Numrich and Sarco.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
seems like a pretty cool gun

cheap way to get into FA

they have a bad military reputation because they rusted out real bad in the jungles of WWII and jammed a lot

but the police used them stateside with good results

so just don't take it to Guadalcanal and you're golden

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they have a bad military reputation because they rusted out real bad in the jungles of WWII and jammed a lot
View Quote

On top of this, these guns all had hand-fitted parts at the factory.  Reportedly the GIs in WWII were used to stripping guns, throwing all of the parts in a vat of solvent, clean them, and then reassemble.  But this gets the once custom fit parts spread around among several guns.  With sometimes not-so-good results.  

Keep your original parts with the gun.  If you end up needing to replace something, it may drop right in just fine.  Or you may need to work on it a little.  But just swapping parts randomly with other guns reportedly is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Reisings are fun SMGs. They were designed in the '30s and thus originally ran lower-powered .45 ammo. If you run them with today's ammo they do run faster than original spec ... but a half-century of use and wear often makes them only reliable with hotter ammo.

Mine ran fine with downloaded .45 ACP. It was a technical pre-war and I bought it with the original FedLabs fitted hard case, and paid a premium. The deep bluing and walnut stock are gorgeous. I did an FOIA request and the Form 5 to the Pittsburgh PD was approved on Dec. 8, 1941, the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor; the Pittsburgh PD was arming up to defend the steel mills, and it was part of a bulk purchase by them, though only a few came with fitted hard cases.

I bought mine without any knowledge of its history for $3.7k; after I researched its history, I sold it for $8.5k to a WWII-fanatic friend who just had to have it. Wish I still owned it ... it ran 100%, but the bluing and wood were so beautiful and perfect, I couldn't shoot it anymore and it became a safe queen. Sigh.

Here she is with the original prewar factory manual, hard case, NIB unfired mags, FOIA report, Pittsburgh LE patches, box of original ammo, etc.:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/reisingrigSMALLsubguns.jpg
View Quote

Tony, I love that story and photo...
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice video (as usual) from Forgotten Weapons on the Reising SMG:

https://www.full30.com/video/4a9f3b7d7b6d231e57c86298ce6da384

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keystone Arms has reportedly bought all of Ken Christie's inventory, including his magazine dies, and plans to start producing them. See here.

They do run fast, but not as fast as they seem. I was guessing mine ran around 1000 rpm, but when I clocked it  I was getting a little less than 800. They sometimes seem temperamental. Some days mine will run flawless. Others, not so much. Using the same ammo, mags, etc.  

It's a fun gun, but I don't pull it out all that often. I bought it so I would have a closed bolt gun for the Knob Creek subgun match. It also gives me a "Classic" gun for the matches that have that category. But I haven't been to one of those since ISSMC ended.

Here's a run from that match:

https://youtu.be/aVsdtHMuT2k
View Quote

I like mine but it is temperamental as stated above . Mine likes the small cap 12 round mags which will be the most available for purchase .
One thing about mine is  I have a spare parts kit and all the parts from kit will fit and run
Who knows they are like a woman hot and cold but fun
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The Reising is a great machine gun for the money, if you find a well tuned one. But, it's not such a great "combat" weapon due to various reliability issues experienced during WWII. The main problem was that the tolerances on replacement parts and the guns themselves were not exact. So, when the US marines tried to change the parts on guns on the battle field, they often would not work at all. Kind of frustrating when you're getting shot at! Due to these issues, the Reising, historically was relegated to rear echelon security duties.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top