Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2016 12:53:19 AM EDT
Could someone with knowledge on what relatively common belt feds can be found on the fully transferable market?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Commonest are gonna be 08/15 Maxims or 1917/1919 Brownings.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had to guess........from most common to least

Browning 1919 series
Browning 1917 / M37 / ANM2
MG-08/15
Vickers
Maxim MG-08
M2HB .50
MG-34/42
HK Belt feds ( due to availability of reg. sears/packs)
Maxim Variants (Commercial / Russian M1910/etc)
M-60 & T161's
Hotchkiss & Jap HMG's (if strip fed counts)
WW1 Era guns (1895 &1914 Colts / 11mm Colt Vickers / Schwarzlose/ Dreyse )
WC 50's (M2 / 1921 / MG52)
Aircraft guns (MG81's / MG17 / Italian / Jap)
Comm block bringbacks (RPD / RP46 / etc)
Stoner 63's / MAG's

There are always the belt fed conversion units......Shrike/Ciener/etc for AR's........
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Browning 1919 series
MG-08/15
Vickers
Maxim MG-08
M2HB .50
MG-34/42
M-60 & T161's
Stoner 63's / MAG's

There are always the belt fed conversion units......Shrike/Ciener/etc for AR's........
View Quote

I'm assuming MAGs are just as expensive as stoner 63s?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Browning 1919 series
MG-08/15
Vickers
Maxim MG-08
M2HB .50
MG-34/42
M-60 & T161's
Stoner 63's / MAG's

Yup......I think they are well into the 6-figure realm......even the MAG-58 pre-samples are nearing 100K

I believe there was (1) transferrable (factory original) M-249 as well.......it was on the market 6 years ago for 550,000.00
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll add two more to the list.

The very rare FG-42. No one really can venture a realistic guess as to how many actually exist. Ive heard too much variance in the numbers, so they sound more like speculative guesses.

The GE M134 minigun.

There are two miniguns currently for sale, and they've been for sale for a while. Every now and then, I get the itch to buy one of them, but then the thought of hauling a battery and gear (forget about shooting it Predator style) and shooting 3000 rounds per minute brings me back to reality. Can you imagine hauling 3000 linked 308 rounds for one minute of trigger time? Other down side? They jam constantly.

There are three versions of the MAG available to civilians: the factory M240, which is exceedingly rare (I've been told by a respected authority that there are six that made it out the FN door); the DLO side plate gun, which is very rare at $100,000+; and the FN MAG58 stamped gun. I have only been able to confirm existence of the FNMI 240 and DLO 240. I've never seen a FN MAG58 stamped gun that was an unrestricted transferable. People use the terms 240/MAG58/DLO240 interchangeably when it comes to the 240 class of guns. You can usually tell by the pricing which gun it is that you're dealing with. $100,000-$140,000 means it is a DLO 240. I won't comment on the price of a FN MAG58 stamped gun because I am in the market for one.

There is currently a Stoner 63 available for $130,000.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Browning 1919 series
MG-08/15
Vickers
Maxim MG-08
M2HB .50
MG-34/42
M-60 & T161's
Stoner 63's / MAG's

View Quote

if someone adds ballpark prices to the list, then this thread will be complete

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The very rare FG-42. No one really can venture a realistic guess as to how many actually exist. Ive heard too much variance in the numbers, so they sound more like speculative guesses.

The GE M134 minigun.

There are two miniguns currently for sale, and they've been for sale for a while. Every now and then, I get the itch to buy one of them, but then the thought of hauling a battery and gear (forget about shooting it Predator style) and shooting 3000 rounds per minute brings me back to reality. Can you imagine hauling 3000 linked 308 rounds for one minute of trigger time? Other down side? They jam constantly.

There are three versions of the MAG available to civilians: the factory M240, which is exceedingly rare (I've been told by a respected authority that there are six that made it out the FN door); the DLO side plate gun, which is very rare at $100,000+; and the FN MAG58 stamped gun. I have only been able to confirm existence of the FNMI 240 and DLO 240. I've never seen a FN MAG58 stamped gun that was an unrestricted transferable. People use the terms 240/MAG58/DLO240 interchangeably when it comes to the 240 class of guns. You can usually tell by the pricing which gun it is that you're dealing with. $100,000-$140,000 means it is a DLO 240. I won't comment on the price of a FN MAG58 stamped gun because I am in the market for one.

There is currently a Stoner 63 available for $130,000.

View Quote

Are the two 240s you recently picked up 2 of the 6 factory guns?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Browning 1919 series
MG-08/15
Vickers
Maxim MG-08
M2HB .50
MG-34/42
M-60 & T161's
Stoner 63's / MAG's

http://machinegunpriceguide.com/ has most of those listed
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
David, yes. They're factory FN guns. If you're ever in the central Texas area, drop me a PM and we'll go shooting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Browning 1919 series
MG-08/15
Vickers
Maxim MG-08
M2HB .50
MG-34/42
M-60 & T161's
Stoner 63's / MAG's

That would be tough......think of the price difference between a C&R Saginaw 1919A4 vs a CATCO sideplate gun.......

same goes for the rest.....original C&R? Rewat? Sideplate gun? Reweld? Registered Dewat?

Caliber /condition/parts availability drastically influence price as well......a 60% rewat 1914 Colt "Digger" in .30-06 might sell for much more than a 95% 1895 gun in 6mm Lee Navy or 7x57mm .

There are just so many variables.......and so many "one-offs" that pop up every now and then.....hell ,there was a Darne beltfed on GB forever for MAC-11 money.......super rare, but in 7.5 French.....and where the hell do you find a belt or links  to feed it? What happens when you chip the bolt face or bust an extractor on that ??

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
David, yes. They're factory FN guns. If you're ever in the central Texas area, drop me a PM and we'll go shooting.
View Quote

God, that's amazing and I definitely will do that.  I've been wanting to get out to Texas anyway.

I just ordered my first beltfed, an MM23ek for my HK sear.  I'm looking forward to the experience.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

God, that's amazing and I definitely will do that.  I've been wanting to get out to Texas anyway.

I just ordered my first beltfed, an MM23ek for my HK sear.  I'm looking forward to the experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on the 23ek.  Glad to see that Mike was able to alleviate any concerns you had.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats David. Please post some show and tell videos and pictures when you get the MM33ek.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Congrats on the 23ek.  Glad to see that Mike was able to alleviate any concerns you had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, Mike's great.  Gave me a great deal that was to the benefit of both of us and is going to tweak the gun a bit for me.

Quoted:
Congrats David. Please post some show and tell videos and pictures when you get the MM33ek.

Absolutely will.  There doesn't seem to be much information or media of the "k" out there at the moment.  I'll attempt to fill some of that gap.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

All the FG-42's I've ever seen have been fed by a side-mounted box magazine, so one that's belt-fed would be rare indeed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
All the FG-42's I've ever seen have been fed by a side-mounted box magazine, so one that's belt-fed would be rare indeed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spoke to someone about the FG42, and he did confirm that the FG42 is a magazine fed, and that it is not a belt fed. I thought that he said that the FG42 could alternate between belt fed and magazine fed, but he said that he meant that it could alternate between open bolt and closed bolt. This person is considering selling me an FG42. I don't know. I'm not a WW2 collector.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I spoke to someone about the FG42, and he did confirm that the FG42 is a magazine fed, and that it is not a belt fed. I thought that he said that the FG42 could alternate between belt fed and magazine fed, but he said that he meant that it could alternate between open bolt and closed bolt. This person is considering selling me an FG42. I don't know. I'm not a WW2 collector.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were some FG42s that were captured and brought back during WW2 and were converted from mag fed to belt fed (utilizing the MG42s top cover arrangement set on its side) as experiments during the US Miltary's development  of the T161.  (which eventually became the M60)

The details and some pictures of the belt fed FG42s are in Kevin Dockery's book on the history and development of the M60 GPMG.  If you don't have Kevin's book  you can get it from Amazon for >$20 and its well worth it, especially if you own a M60.   I had my wife get it for me as a Christmas stocking stuffer a couple years back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in TX? My Mg42 and I live in Houston.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread saddens me.  The hughes amendment sucks horribly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#20]
OP wanted list of common beltfeds.  A $100,000 anything is not common.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
OP wanted list of common beltfeds.  A $100,000 anything is not common.
View Quote

Well if you want to play that game, there's virtually no beltfed that is common.  I think they're the rarest things in the registry as far as transferrable MGs as a class (exceptions for ultra rare machine pistols).  Any of them.  The most common are probably 1919s, and there probably aren't many of those out there that are transferrable anyway.  1000 of them maybe?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
M60s, M1919 registered sideplate MGs, M2s and the ocassiona AN/M2 "C&R. HK21s are rare and MG34s and 42s are the grails IMHO of the transferable MG world.  MG42s can be readily converted to fire both 8MM and .308 (MG3)
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

M60s, M1919 registered sideplate MGs, M2s and the ocassiona AN/M2 "C&R. HK21s are rare and MG34s and 42s are the grails IMHO of the transferable MG world.  MG42s can be readily converted to fire both 8MM and .308 (MG3)
View Quote
I'm with you on MG34 and 42's.  Price vs performance - I would go that route if I was buying a transferable belt fed.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have to agree with David. There is no such thing as a common beltfed.

But I get what the OP is asking. However, we're all machine gun guys. We love talking machine guns. If we're asked about belt feds, we're gonna talk belt feds, and there's a good chance we're going to veer off course a little bit. That's why this board is fun, and not stuffy.

As to the MG34 and MG42 being the holy grail, I'm not sure about that. I'd argue that the M60 is the holy grail of belt fed machine guns from a practical point: 1. It's relatively available, usually there's one for sale every month or so; 2. The parts are now very available because of the Danish military adopting the E6 and USORD ramping up production (I have like five op rods and five barrels and a boatload of NIB parts, ten years ago, this would have been very difficult); 3. The M60 is still relatively modern looking, especially if modded to the MK43 and E6 upgrades; 4. It's relatively affordable, especially if you get a non-military M60; 5. Finally, it's still being used by SEALS, pockets of Coast Guard and Navy (so I am told by Wiki), and the Danes to kick ass.

The MG34 and MG42 might be more of a holy grail from a historical perspective, but if you convert it to a 308, it's lost some of its authenticity.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have to agree with David. There is no such thing as a common beltfed.

But I get what the OP is asking. However, we're all machine gun guys. We love talking machine guns. If we're asked about belt feds, we're gonna talk belt feds, and there's a good chance we're going to veer off course a little bit. That's why this board is fun, and not stuffy.

As to the MG34 and MG42 being the holy grail, I'm not sure about that. I'd argue that the M60 is the holy grail of belt fed machine guns from a practical point: 1. It's relatively available, usually there's one for sale every month or so; 2. The parts are now very available because of the Danish military adopting the E6 and USORD ramping up production (I have like five op rods and five barrels and a boatload of NIB parts, ten years ago, this would have been very difficult); 3. The M60 is still relatively modern looking, especially if modded to the MK43 and E6 upgrades; 4. It's relatively affordable, especially if you get a non-military M60; 5. Finally, it's still being used by SEALS, pockets of Coast Guard and Navy (so I am told by Wiki), and the Danes to kick ass.

The MG34 and MG42 might be more of a holy grail from a historical perspective, but if you convert it to a 308, it's lost some of its authenticity.
View Quote

I'd have to disagree. I've got a nonreweld C&R mg42 that I'm running 308 though and it's just as awesome with current 308 price
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Tony, how many beltfeds do you have personal experience with?  I figure it might be a lot. I'd definitely be curious in hearing which one you prefer of all of them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I've shot quite a few. The ones I have not shot are the M134 and the FG42*, although I'm supposed to be trading belts/mags with an owner of an FG42 sometime. This person, who is a very cool gentleman, is trying to get me to trade my unfired 240 for his FG42. I can't do that!

I can't say which is my favorite. That's like picking a favorite child. That'd be wrong lol.

*so yesterday after I made a post about the FG42 being a belt fed, I spoke to a dealer who confirmed that it was not a belt fed. But then someone else mentioned that the FG42 has belt fed versions, to which my knowledgable friend replied that was like calling the M16 a belt fed because you can stick a Shrike on it. Which brings me to my least favorite belt fed: the Shrike.

David, you're gonna have a really fun time with that MM23eK. I'm thinking of getting one. I have several registered HK items coming in, and don't have hosts for them yet. After I watch your video, I'll make an informed decision.

Belt feds are so awesome.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:10:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've shot quite a few. The ones I have not shot are the M134 and the FG42*, although I'm supposed to be trading belts/mags with an owner of an FG42 sometime. This person, who is a very cool gentleman, is trying to get me to trade my unfired 240 for his FG42. I can't do that!

I can't say which is my favorite. That's like picking a favorite child. That'd be wrong lol.

*so yesterday after I made a post about the FG42 being a belt fed, I spoke to a dealer who confirmed that it was not a belt fed. But then someone else mentioned that the FG42 has belt fed versions, to which my knowledgable friend replied that was like calling the M16 a belt fed because you can stick a Shrike on it. Which brings me to my least favorite belt fed: the Shrike.

David, you're gonna have a really fun time with that MM23eK. I'm thinking of getting one. I have several registered HK items coming in, and don't have hosts for them yet. After I watch your video, I'll make an informed decision.

View Quote

A). Do not trade that unfired 240.  That's gotta be one of the top 5 most awesome transferrables out there, and given that it's unfired, it's the stuff collections are built around.  I think you know that though haha.

B). I really am looking forward to getting my hands on that 23ek.  3 months feels longer than any of my NFA wait times and it's already driving me bonkers haha.  I'll do a video of it for the folks on the boards.  I might one-up it for you though.  If I have time, maybe I'll throw it in a case and fly to Texas.  Could make a fun day out of it and you can fire it at that point to your heart's content to decide if you want to order one.  Just to see some of your stuff would be a treat.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:18:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have got a MM23EK.   If we are able to work the BOTW meet I will bring it along if you are thinking about picking one up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have got a MM23EK.   If we are able to work the BOTW meet I will bring it along if you are thinking about picking one up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There we go!  You're all set, Tony.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know of any such thing as a belt fed FG42.  I don't even see how that would be possible.  I'm in the market for a Type 1 FG42 if that's the one he has.

A 240B for an FG42 is a pretty even trade, and actually I "think" the FG42 is worth more.  Kind of hard to say really since the market for 240s and FG42 are very very small.  I would personaly do that trade, but I have a thing for WW2 guns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:34:07 AM EDT
[#32]
What do you want in a beltfed?  I own the following

M60E6
MG34
MG42
23E/21E
RPD

In the order of badass-ness I would say

MG42 by far.  Like WAY by far!!!
M60E6
23E/21E
MG34
RPD

In the order of practicality and user friendliness

M60E6
23E/21E
MG42
RPD
MG34 down at the bottom FOR SURE

Maxims and 1919s are also badass, but user friendliness and practicality are lower with those since they need a good amount of "gear" usually.  Badass though.  Not exciting though like an MG42.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Maxims and 1919s are also badass, but user friendliness and practicality are lower with those since they need a good amount of "gear" usually.  Badass though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Maxims and 1919s are also badass, but user friendliness and practicality are lower with those since they need a good amount of "gear" usually.  Badass though.

Compared to other belt feds, I find this objection to be overemphasized.  I generally shoot by myself and have no problem getting water cooled guns to the range and back.  The most encumbering item is the ammo you will expend.  The wheeled Russian Sokolov mount also helps in this regard.  As with many things in life, time at the gym is not wasted.  

Other than the gun, mount and ammo, which are the necessary items for shooting, the only other items I bring are an ammo can containing some tools and a few spare parts (almost never needed) and a 2.5l Jerry can of water.

Not exciting though like an MG42.

Blasphemy!  

Water cools are different.  The amount of lead these things can throw without pause is truly staggering.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't forget the little guys!

Lakeside Machine minature M2HB
LM mini 1919
LM7
Razorback (I have one, works great in semi, needs some help in FA)
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know of any such thing as a belt fed FG42.  I don't even see how that would be possible.  I'm in the market for a Type 1 FG42 if that's the one he has.

View Quote

I went and dug up my M60 book and the belt fed FG42 was called the T44.

"U.S. MACHINE GUN T44 7.92MM

Manufactured by Bridge Tool & Die Works, Philadelphia, Pa. in 1946 - The gun is a conversion of the FG42 German, Light, Magazine Feed Machine Gun, with the belt feeding mechanism of the MG42 German, Belt Feed Machine Gun. The mechanical solution for the conversion was provided by the Bridge Tool & Die Works. The weapon is gas-operated blowback type combination; air-cooled; bipod supported; with forward handgrip and rear shoulder stock. ......"

'The Weapon transferred to the Museum on 20 January 1966. At that time weapon was appraised at $100.
"  

http://ww2.rediscov.com/springar/VFPCGI.exe?IDCFile=/spring/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=9554,DATABASE=45493592,

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/full/0909-JPG633536159052031329.jpg

Manufactured by Bridge Tool & Die Works, Philadelphia, Pa. in 1946 - The gun is a conversion of the FG42 German, Light, Magazine Feed Machine Gun, with the belt feeding mechanism of the MG42 German, Belt Feed Machine Gun. The mechanical solution for the conversion was provided by the Bridge Tool & Die Works. The weapon is gas-operated blowback type combination; air-cooled; bipod supported; with forward handgrip and rear shoulder stock. ......"

'The Weapon transferred to the Museum on 20 January 1966. At that time weapon was appraised at $100.
"  

http://ww2.rediscov.com/springar/VFPCGI.exe?IDCFile=/spring/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=9554,DATABASE=45493592,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"  

$100! thats insane

Neat design though, like how it feeds from the bottom
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

"  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"  

I'm well aware of that gun, but that is an experimental gun the US pieced together which slowly turned into the M60.  There is no such thing as an actual beltfed FG42.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Soooo nice! I need a 1910 in my life!

Quoted:

Compared to other belt feds, I find this objection to be overemphasized.  I generally shoot by myself and have no problem getting water cooled guns to the range and back.  The most encumbering item is the ammo you will expend.  The wheeled Russian Sokolov mount also helps in this regard.  As with many things in life, time at the gym is not wasted.  

Other than the gun, mount and ammo, which are the necessary items for shooting, the only other items I bring are an ammo can containing some tools and a few spare parts (almost never needed) and a 2.5l Jerry can of water.
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/CTinNV/media/IMG_0284_zpsaqt4zhvc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/CTinNV/IMG_0284_zpsaqt4zhvc.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/CTinNV/media/IMG_0089_zpsaczssnzq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/CTinNV/IMG_0089_zpsaczssnzq.jpg</a>

Blasphemy!  

Water cools are different.  The amount of lead these things can throw without pause is truly staggering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/CTinNV/media/IMG_0284_zpsaqt4zhvc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/CTinNV/IMG_0284_zpsaqt4zhvc.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/CTinNV/media/IMG_0089_zpsaczssnzq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/CTinNV/IMG_0089_zpsaczssnzq.jpg</a>

Not exciting though like an MG42.

Blasphemy!  

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Soooo nice! I need a 1910 in my life!
View Quote

Of course you do!  Take care of it now!  There's nothing quite like personal towed artillery.  

If I ever get another belt fed I very much want it to be an MG42...
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm well aware of that gun, but that is an experimental gun the US pieced together which slowly turned into the M60.  There is no such thing as an actual beltfed FG42.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"  

I mentioned the belt fed FG42 was a US military experimental gun in the progress toward the development of the T161/M60 in my original post on page 1...not claim that it was an original  Rheinmetal or Krieghoff factory model designation.

It appeared that you had questions about how it would even be possible to have a belt feed mech on a FG42.  I just trying to be helpful and pass along information on how it had done in the past.

I suspect that if somebody really wanted a belt-fed FG42/T44 you could probably make it happened for a couple hundred grand for a transferable example or a lot less for a post sample using an SMG Guns repro FG42 as a starting point.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If I ever get another belt fed I very much want it to be an MG42...
View Quote

That's just opposite of what I did.  I sold the MG42 and went with an 08/15.  The '42 was eating me out of house and home the way it gobbles up ammo.  Barrel changes every 5-6 belts and you really need the tripod to stay on target.  And the barrels all seem to give up the ghost too quickly.  Got a few 54R barrels for the 08/15 and these seem to last forever.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:  Got a few 54R barrels for the 08/15 and these seem to last forever.
View Quote

A very much unappreciated point for water cools.  Barrel life is about 10,000 - 12,000 rounds of sustained fire.  I don't know how long they go with shorter bursts and breaks between belts.

I still want the MG42 though...
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#44]
i wouldnt trade even a beat up 240 for FG42...ive shot just about everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top