Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2015 12:38:59 PM EDT
I have 2 different guns right now with suspected gas ring issues. One is a M16 and the other is a AR10T. Both guns are suppressed.

M16 issue- gun has been flawless for many thousands of rounds, recently it has started short stroking when shooting suppressed, no suppressor the gun runs great.

AR10 issue- gun has less than a 1000 rounds thru it, all have been suppressed. I didn't realize the gun had a problem until I switched suppressors on it. With the YHM suppressor it's had since purchase the gun shoots without issue. When I put the thunderbeast on it it short strokes every other round. Switch back to YHM and no issue. My AR10 has the one piece(McFarland I assume) rings fro the factory.

So my question is are all M16/AR15 gas rings crated equal? I have replaced a few sets of rings on different bolts thru the years and have always used the DPMS rings as they are always readily available.

Also are the one piece rings on the AR10 the way to go?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Short stroking with a can doesn't make sense.  Higher bolt velocities that cause the extractor to lose control of the fired case and/or difficulties in loading the next round do make sense.  Aging recoil springs can also cause carrier speeds to accelerate.  Aging extractor springs/worn extractors cause the round to be dropped under those conditions.

Describe the symptoms.  My guess is you see a fired case still in the action.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Short stroking with a can doesn't make sense.  Higher bolt velocities that cause the extractor to lose control of the fired case and/or difficulties in loading the next round do make sense.  Aging recoil springs can also cause carrier speeds to accelerate.  Aging extractor springs/worn extractors cause the round to be dropped under those conditions.

Describe the symptoms.  My guess is you see a fired case still in the action.
View Quote

Maybe I used the wrong term. Both guns eject the spent shell. I might have misused the term "short stroke" to say that both will eject and chamber the next round but the trigger is not reset.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:Maybe I used the wrong term. Both guns eject the spent shell. I might have misused the term "short stroke" to say that both will eject and chamber the next round but the trigger is not reset.
View Quote

If the bolt travels reward enough to pick up a round, it's going far enough reward to cock the hammer.  Is this full auto or semi?

If semi, either the disconnector is not catching and holding the hammer (worn disconnector of weakened spring) or you are inadvertently bump firing.  If full, this is perhaps a bolt bounce problem.  In either case the problem is worsened by the can which is accelerating bolt speeds.

Are you using heavier buffers?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If the bolt travels reward enough to pick up a round, it's going far enough reward to cock the hammer.  Is this full auto or semi?

If semi, either the disconnector is not catching and holding the hammer (worn disconnector of weakened spring) or you are inadvertently bump firing.  If full, this is perhaps a bolt bounce problem.  In either case the problem is worsened by the can which is accelerating bolt speeds.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Maybe I used the wrong term. Both guns eject the spent shell. I might have misused the term "short stroke" to say that both will eject and chamber the next round but the trigger is not reset.

The m16 runs flawlessly in semi, the trigger isn't resetting on full auto with a suppressor. Without the suppressor it runs great.

Edit- the gun usually has a spikes T2 in it, but have tried other H2 and H3 buffers to see if it remedies the problem. I was assuming it was the gas rings becasue it's only happening when suppressed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The m16 runs flawlessly in semi, the trigger isn't resetting on full auto with a suppressor. Without the suppressor it runs great.
View Quote

I think you have a case of bolt bounce exacerbated by the higher bolt velocities when using the can.  You might try a heavier buffer for this.  I assume you have a carbine stock?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think you have a case of bolt bounce exacerbated by the higher bolt velocities when using the can.  You might try a heavier buffer for this.  I assume you have a carbine stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes carbine stock. My issue with going heavier on the buffer is this gun has been flawless for over 4K rounds. It has just recently developed the issue.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes carbine stock. My issue with going heavier on the buffer is this gun has been flawless for over 4K rounds. It has just recently developed the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my speculation on what is happening.

The gun isn't short stroking, nor is the trigger/hammer failing to reset.

It sounds like uou have classic bolt bounce which makes it appear like the hammer isn't getting reset.

When you gun was new, the gas rings were tighter, and the gas port in the barrel under the front sight base was smaller.

As you shot the gun the gas rings started to wear and the port in the barrel started to open up.   The gas rings starting to wear means that there is less friction when moving the bolt back and forth inside the carrier.  If you  extend the bolt from the carrier and stand the whole bolt carrier group face down with the face of the bolt on a hard flat surface the gas rings should be able to impart enough friction to keep the bolt extended.  If the carrier (via its own weight) is able to collapse down on the bolt the gas rings are worn out.

When the bolt carrier slams home into battery their is a tendency for the bolt to slightly bounce open.  (like in the video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=575Q0O41u5s

Two thing keep the bolt from bouncing open.  Friction of the gas rings inside the carrier and the sliding/ reciprocating weights in the buffer that act as a deadblow hammer to keep the action closed.

Putting a suppressor on just agitates the issue as the can pushes more gas back into the bolt carrier group, leading to a higher cyclic velocity.  The faster the BCG goes back the faster it bounces off the end of the receiver extension/buffer tube, which equals faster return velocity and more bounce when the action slams into the barrel extension.

Over 4K rounds what used to work just fine no longer does because the gas rings are worn and the gas port is roughly halfway though its life-cycle and is letting more gas down the gas tube than it did when it was new.

The end result is that the gun still runs without a can attached but the suppressor pushed it over the operating envelope, the BCG bounces open slightly leading to the hammer slightly miss hitting the firing pin.

My suggestion is to replace the gas rings with new ones (doesn't really matter what brand) and put a H3 Buffer behind the BCG and you will probably be back in business for another 4 to 6K  rounds at which point the barrel will be getting close to the end of its service life anyway.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It sounds like uou have classic bolt bounce which makes it appear like the hammer isn't getting reset.

When you gun was new, the gas rings were tighter, and the gas port in the barrel under the front sight base was smaller.

As you shot the gun the gas rings started to wear and the port in the barrel started to open up.   The gas rings starting to wear means that there is less friction when moving the bolt back and forth inside the carrier.  If you  extend the bolt from the carrier and stand the whole bolt carrier group face down with the face of the bolt on a hard flat surface the gas rings should be able to impart enough friction to keep the bolt extended.  If the carrier (via its own weight) is able to collapse down on the bolt the gas rings are worn out.

When the bolt carrier slams home into battery their is a tendency for the bolt to slightly bounce open.  (like in the video below).

Two thing keep the bolt from bouncing open.  Friction of the gas rings inside the carrier and the sliding/ reciprocating weights in the buffer that act as a deadblow hammer to keep the action closed.

Putting a suppressor on just agitates the issue as the can pushes more gas back into the bolt carrier group, leading to a higher cyclic velocity.  The faster the BCG goes back the faster it bounces off the end of the receiver extension/buffer tube, which equals faster return velocity and more bounce when the action slams into the barrel extension.

Over 4K rounds what used to work just fine no longer does because the gas rings are worn and the gas port is roughly halfway though its life-cycle and is letting more gas down the gas tube than it did when it was new.

The end result is that the gun still runs without a can attached but the suppressor pushed it over the operating envelope, the BCG bounces open slightly leading to the hammer slightly miss hitting the firing pin.

My suggestion is to replace the gas rings with new ones (doesn't really matter what brand) and put a H3 Buffer behind the BCG and you will probably be back in business for another 4 to 6K  rounds at which point the barrel will be getting close to the end of its service life anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top