Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2015 3:39:53 PM EDT
I just latched onto one of these after lusting after a 308 MG for some time.  I've heard many times they are the most controllable in this class (relatively speaking).  I'll find out for sure in a few months.  

I've also heard that the factory folding stock is quite uncomfortable, especially in full auto.  I'd like to have one, but if it sucks, I'll save the money for something else.

How about parts breakage/good spares?  I've heard that converted Garand op rods may be a weak point.  Anything else?
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never fired any 308 rifles in full auto but I doubt any of them can truly be called "controllable"

What's a BM59 run price wise? I think M14s are around $15K+

Personally I wouldn't mess with full auto in 308 unless it was belt fed and like an M60, but then again that's likely 2-3x the price.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a full-stock select-fire BM-59 - now gone.

Very controllable in full-auto - doubles/triples are easy with practice.

Mag dumps are problematic - belt-fed would be a better option for this.

Never used the folding stock.

Parts were scarce when I owned one 10 years ago - probably worse now.

Got old quickly for me.

IMO, DLO 1919 would be a better option at not a whole lot more cost.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I already have some water cooled belt feds, so my urges to send copious amounts of ammo down range are covered.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Welded USGI M14s and commercial SAI examples probably start at $16K and rise rapidly with pedigree.  I paid $13K, which is on the high side (Ruben at DealerNFA) but the rifle was LNIB complete with factory box and manual.  It doesn't look like it's been shot much at all.  Plus it came with a nice aftermarket Nigerian stock copy.

Mag dumps are problematic.
 What do you mean by this?

I was pleasantly surprised in this area.  There are parts shared with the Garand and some others that can be made from Garand parts without too much difficulty.  There was likely an influx of parts in the last few years as many BM59 parts can be purchased, plus there are parts in the hands of collectors.  I've already purchased a NOS bolt, NOS gas cylinder and used trigger group.  I'll buy some more in the near future as this window is starting to close.  This has also fed a semi-auto BM59 builders craze, so new US made barrels are available as well.  I should be able to put together a reasonable spare parts kit for less than what folks are paying for AC556 kits.

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I already have some water cooled belt feds, so my urges to send copious amounts of ammo down range are covered.  

Welded USGI M14s and commercial SAI examples probably start at $16K and rise rapidly with pedigree.  I paid $13K, which is on the high side (Ruben at DealerNFA) but the rifle was LNIB complete with factory box and manual.  It doesn't look like it's been shot much at all.  Plus it came with a nice aftermarket Nigerian stock copy.

I was pleasantly surprised in this area.  There are parts shared with the Garand and some others that can be made from Garand parts without too much difficulty.  There was likely an influx of parts in the last few years as many BM59 parts can be purchased, plus there are parts in the hands of collectors.  I've already purchased a NOS bolt, NOS gas cylinder and used trigger group.  I'll buy some more in the near future as this window is starting to close.  This has also fed a semi-auto BM59 builders craze, so new US made barrels are available as well.  I should be able to put together a reasonable spare parts kit for less than what folks are paying for AC556 kits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mag dumps are problematic.

Muzzle rise off-hand ....................... OK off bi-pod.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]
My uncle has parts left and right and there are plenty from SARCO and other places.

parts for the BM59 can even be shipped from Italy where there are tons of parts left.

I picked up over a dozen BM59 magazines in brand new condition for about 25 euros each.

Guy mailed it from Italy and it arrived just fine.

No customs issues.

FA is fine and the muzzle brake compensator works very well.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My uncle has parts left and right and there are plenty from SARCO and other places.
View Quote

In case others are following this thread and have similar plans, I have a small comment on this.  Not only are the complete kits by Sarco sold out (the partial kits are still available), their parts were for the BM59E model.  The "E" model was a Garand modified for box mags with the front end cut down by 1/2" to rechamber for 308.  While the back end is identical to the other BM59 variants, those front end parts are not.

But yes, parts are out there and I have also contacted a European seller.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

parts for the BM59 can even be shipped from Italy where there are tons of parts left.

I picked up over a dozen BM59 magazines in brand new condition for about 25 euros each.

Guy mailed it from Italy and it arrived just fine.

No customs issues.

FA is fine and the muzzle brake compensator works very well.

View Quote

Interesting.

How did you go about finding magazines and parts overseas ?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Interesting.

View Quote

Sarco has excellent to nearly new condition Beretta magazines at this point in time.  Check out EBay for BM59 parts and you'll see several sellers from Europe.  Drop them a line.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sarco has excellent to nearly new condition Beretta magazines at this point in time.  Check out EBay for BM59 parts and you'll see several sellers from Europe.  Drop them a line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Interesting.

^Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine runs well, little barrel climb in off hand, on bipod it's very stable. I've had it since NIB and only ran less than a 100 rds through it. More of a safe queen now since .308 got expensive. I bought the original Alpine stock from a guy in Italy who was selling parts to Reese of Springfield Inc. Also got an original bayonet, a modified Garand bayonet, and a Nigerian stock I've never finished fitting the butt plate in. They are pleasant to shoot compared to an M14 in FA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
My BM59 arrived at my dealer a few weeks ago and we spent some time on New Years Day taking it out for a spin.  While it is a bit more lively than an M16, the tri-compensator works exceptionally well to control muzzle rise.  (I can use some more practice though...)  Check out the video and see what you think!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top