Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2015 8:20:53 PM EDT
If I were to modify Glock or Lone Wolf slides with the proper machining to add a Glock 18 selector (that I will also manufacture), how would that be classified?

Considering the fact that the slide isn't considered a firearm and some companies already offer the Glock drop-in sears as a non-NFA item... could I manufacture the slides and offer them with the modified trigger housing/trigger bar for sale as a non-registered item?

I know that the default answer is "contact ATF" but I'm hoping someone here has a preliminary answer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My  Norrell 10/22 was a trigger group and a bolt.
It was a machinegun.

The slide would thefore be the machinegun.

Just like a lightening link is a machinegun
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was a machinegun.

View Quote

So where does ATF draw the line?

The HK trigger groups aren't machineguns, the Glock drop-in sears aren't machineguns, and you can own every piece of an M16 fire control group as long as you don't have an extra pin hole in your receiver...

They sure do a great job of complicating everything.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The Glock selctor is a machine gun by itself. If the HK trigger pack isn't because it won't fit on a semi reciever (there is a shelf on the reciever to prevent it). The M16 parts installed in an Ar15 have been classified as a machine gun even without the sear hole by ATF.

The clearest definition that answers your question is an conversion device is a machine gun. Glock sear, AR DIAS, lighting link, Slotted Uzi bolt, ect.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I were to modify Glock or Lone Wolf slides with the proper machining to add a Glock 18 selector (that I will also manufacture), how would that be classified?

Considering the fact that the slide isn't considered a firearm and some companies already offer the Glock drop-in sears as a non-NFA item ... could I manufacture the slides and offer them with the modified trigger housing/trigger bar for sale as a non-registered item?

I know that the default answer is "contact ATF" but I'm hoping someone here has a preliminary answer.
View Quote

That may be your point of confusion. Those are machine gun conversion devices, and must be registered as machineguns. Most of the ones that are for sale are no complete.

Same deal as a AR15 DIAS or lighting link, both are considered machineguns  in their own right.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That may be your point of confusion. Those are machine gun conversion devices, and must be registered as machineguns. Most of the ones that are for sale are no complete.

Same deal as a AR15 DIAS or lighting link, both are considered machineguns  in their own right.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering the fact that the slide isn't considered a firearm and some companies already offer the Glock drop-in sears as a non-NFA item ... could I manufacture the slides and offer them with the modified trigger housing/trigger bar for sale as a non-registered item?

Shit, you're right.  I forgot that the drop-in sears are sold as 80% complete.

No biggie, I'm fine registering each slide.  I just wanted to make sure I was right in my thinking that they'd need to be serialized and whatnot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No biggie, I'm fine registering each slide.  I just wanted to make sure I was right in my thinking that they'd need to be serialized and whatnot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused.  You understand that nobody can build a transferable machine gun since 1986 correct.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm confused.  You understand that nobody can build a transferable machine gun since 1986 correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure he is an 07FFL/02SOT.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I'll be building these for LE sales/demo purposes for other SOTs because Glock doesn't sell G18's to dealers... they're agency-direct apparently.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Considering the fact that the slide isn't considered a firearm and some companies already offer the Glock drop-in sears as a non-NFA item... could I manufacture the slides and offer them with the modified trigger housing/trigger bar for sale as a non-registered item?

View Quote

'

They are machine guns if you make those mods.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The HK trigger groups aren't machineguns, the Glock drop-in sears aren't machineguns, and you can own every piece of an M16 fire control group as long as you don't have an extra pin hole in your receiver...

View Quote

HK trigger groups can be machine guns, Glock Drop Sears are machine guns.

If you are a new FFL you may want slow down before you start making unregistered MGs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if you make/register slide, you will later have to make/register the lower. To make a factory style G18 you need to modify upper and lower. Thus making slides is a bad idea, modify complete guns and register a single item.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Even if you make/register slide, you will later have to make/register the lower. To make a factory style G18 you need to modify upper and lower. Thus making slides is a bad idea, modify complete guns and register a single item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lower mods aren't necessary, only the trigger housing needs modification along with the trigger bar.  I'm not going to dick around with the frame rails since that was just a CYA move by Glock to keep folks from easily swapping slides around.

I get what you're saying though and I'll probably just make them complete to simplify things.

I know you're a bit of a full-auto Glock guru... do you have a factory 18?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you are a new FFL you may want slow down before you start making unregistered MGs.
View Quote

Discussing ideas and seeking information is how I avoid that, obviously, but thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lower mods aren't necessary, only the trigger housing needs modification along with the trigger bar.

View Quote

Well I am not going to argue with you over it. I know on my factory Glock 18C the lower is different.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#15]
eta

if you want to see it or take pics I will be at nuts2015
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well I am not going to argue with you over it. I know on my factory Glock 18C the lower is different.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lower mods aren't necessary, only the trigger housing needs modification along with the trigger bar.

I wasn't arguing that the factory G18 frame isn't different.  I was just pointing out that modifying the frame isn't necessary for proper function.  The main required changes are in the trigger housing and trigger bar, as I'm sure you know.

Thanks for the offer to see it at NUTS but I'm headed to New Braunfels this weekend.  We'll have to meet at some point since you're in the DFW area.  I could use your input on some of my ideas.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wasn't arguing that the factory G18 frame isn't different.  I was just pointing out that modifying the frame isn't necessary for proper function.  The main required changes are in the trigger housing and trigger bar, as I'm sure you know.

Thanks for the offer to see it at NUTS but I'm headed to New Braunfels this weekend.  We'll have to meet at some point since you're in the DFW area.  I could use your input on some of my ideas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you will have to see it to understand. There is not enough room. That is why most conversions use the other side.  Using the other side requires zero mods and thus reduces the number of conversion parts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm just interested in seeing the pics!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think you will have to see it to understand. There is not enough room. That is why most conversions use the other side.  Using the other side requires zero mods and thus reduces the number of conversion parts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I see what you're saying.  The 17 frame (on bottom) looks a little thicker on the left side (top of the frame in the photo).  I don't know that it will really influence the function though... I'll find out when I actually start testing.

Ultimately, as long as the selector switch pushes down the trigger bar, the magic should happen.  Little nuances can be worked around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Wasn't there some sort of sear thing you could just attach to the back of the slide that made it auto, instead of having to mess with the lower, the trigger, mill the slide, etc.?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wasn't there some sort of sear thing you could just attach to the back of the slide that made it auto, instead of having to mess with the lower, the trigger, mill the slide, etc.?
View Quote

Yes, that is the most common conversion. Got one of those too. Aspix show it trips on right side:

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but some dealers (like myself) prefer a factory-style Glock 18 and they're extremely hard to get.

I was a machinist for most of my life so the milling is simple.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, but some dealers (like myself) prefer a factory-style Glock 18 and they're extremely hard to get.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.  I just wasn't sure if I remembered that type of conversion correctly or not.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#24]
subscribing for future pictures of homework.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was a machinegun.

I think the ATFs new standard is that there is no standard
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#26]
You should probably take a look at a thread over at silencertalk.......

User "Palladium" details about 5 different types of glock conversion units, including a modded slide with G-18 style selector...doesn't require any frame mods......details on pg. 8 of the thread

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7782&sid=4deeb2f7db19acfd16c1ad955c367efb&start=175

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top