User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Op..... You're my god damn hero.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people buy expensive art to adorn their walls. Others, like  many of us, like to adorn their walls with transferables!  

Some art is more expensive than others, but we all have an eye for good "art" and appreciate those who collect the finer pieces.

Hats off to you sir.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own a business, which I built from scratch with a $500 loan from my parents. In 1999, before I started my business, I was dirt poor. Oh, the memories.

This is my way of making up for the toys that I couldn't buy when I was a little kid. I had Gobots, when I was a kid. Remember those things? The poor kids Transformers.

If you're going to be an attorney, I suspect you will have some pretty big toys, one day, too. Aren't attorney brief cases destructive devices?

View Quote

My respects, sir.  To start from the bottom, start your own business, and be successful enough to be where you're at right now with all your toys and two m240s.  My hats off to you.

I do hope my briefcase ends up being a DD haha.  With any luck, that will be the the most valuable tool I can carry into battle, even with my HK sear and m16.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome t read about...but where did your pictures go?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice. I've hunted for a transferable factory 240 with no luck. Enjoy hem, and nice finds dude!
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn man.. nice!

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
All of the pictures disappeared
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll put up some new pics once I can assemble the guns.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'll put up some new pics once I can assemble the guns.

View Quote

Need any help?

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#10]
That's insane that you have two transferable 240's! The 240 was my 3rd favorite, behind the M2 and MK19. Very fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I was wondering if you were on Arfcom...

Just happened to be in the shop when you were picking up one of your toys last Novemberish.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Hi Aguas.

I wish they had an attached range there. That'd be awesome.

I'd let you shoot whatever it was I was picking up.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hi Aguas.

I wish they had an attached range there. That'd be awesome.

I'd let you shoot whatever it was I was picking up.

View Quote

ROFLMAO. Man can you imagine a full auto firing range right there?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]

This is a fully transferrable legally registered NFA machine gun.

One of my factory FN M240Bs being assembled by the armorer at Silencer Shop, my favorite class 3 dealer in the central Texas area.

The other one, I am going to assemble myself.

Here it is...fully assembled...

People say that the M240 is a sturdy MG; however, I am never going to allow it to be scratched or dented. I am going to baby these things.

The M240B is a beast, weighing in at 27 pounds. It is way too unbalanced to reliably shoot off the shoulder. It's more of an emplacement gun.

My M60E6 shoots very smoothly off the shoulder and balances well, like in the below photo. I tried holding the M240B up to my shoulder, and it feels totally awkward and unbalanced.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a pretty gun.  Why are you so concerned about dents & scratches on a machinegun?  I can't imagine the value would be affected significantly.

Question on your M-60:  how reliable is it?  I hear from early adopters that it was far more reliable than the worn-out 1919s they'd been using, and from late users they were pieces of crap that had to be wired shut and the M240 saved the day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Backbencher,

I'm a collector, and I like my MGs in pristine condition. It's just a personal thing.

On your 1919 vs M60 vs 240 point, I'll leave that part of your question to the experienced historians and operators of this board. As to the first part, my M60 is very reliable. But then again, I don't shoot it to the extreme volume that the military shot the old M60s, and I don't take it out in wet and hot humid conditions, which may have been the culprit for some of the reliability issues of the old M60s (as a comparison, the first six months that I had it, I shot around 15,000 rounds, although now that the newness wore off, I'm down to like 500 rounds every two or so months).

The M60 that I have is the E6 version. It still has some of the design issues/complaints of the old M60. For example, the bolt still wears down and has peening issues. For that reason, I have extra new in the bag spare part of everything, except the buttstock. It'll eventually need the spares.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These transferable guns all started off as FNMI M240s. In the 90s, the Army did testing on the M60E4 versus the M240E4. The M240E4 won the competition. FN then started upgrading 1000 of the M240s for the Army. I was told that the 6 or so known FNMI  transferables were upgraded at the same time, and then stamped by FNMI to 'B' status. I asked a knowledgable dealer why FN allowed the guns to get into the civilian market, and his response was that they were sent out for some sort of exhibit or testing. Whoever first had the guns then registered them right before the 86 cut off. Thanks to that person, whoever they were, we at least have some, even if very few, in the registry.  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DLO registered side plate gun or a MAG58. Those guns are much more affordable at around $100,000, and, I hear that they perform just as well. Those are still rare, but I hear that if you turn over enough stones, you can find one.

You're really paying for the history and the rarity when it comes to the FNMI M240.

I'm learning about the history of the gun. Next is to learn how to operate and assemble the gun. If tomorrow, ATF miraculously approved the gun after one week, I wouldn't know how to assemble it or even use it. I was told that you can change the rate of fire. Really?
View Quote

Yes, you can adjust the rate of fire.
The gas regulator plug is attached under the barrel.
Turning it opens/closes it a set amount.
On the M240E's I used in the Corps, the rate of fire was altered from 750 rpm at the smallest setting, and could be adjusted to 850 rpm and 950 rpm.
We were told this was to allow for the gun to be more reliable when it got dirty.
Too much carbon build up causing the gun to slow down? Open the gas regulator up some.

Honestly that didnt make much sense to me, but that is what we were told.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's a pretty gun.  Why are you so concerned about dents & scratches on a machinegun?  I can't imagine the value would be affected significantly.

Question on your M-60:  how reliable is it?  I hear from early adopters that it was far more reliable than the worn-out 1919s they'd been using, and from late users they were pieces of crap that had to be wired shut and the M240 saved the day.
View Quote

Machineguns value in general is inherently tied to its condition.  (just like any other collectible)

Unfired/Excellent specimens bring the most dollar and worn/beat-to-hell guns the least with every grade in between.

A Colt 1921 can double in price from $25K on the low end to $50K on the high end based off condition and composition of original parts/finish.

The more rare/exotic the item the more condition seems to play a role in pricing.  

It wouldn't surprise me that between the two NIB M240s in this thread (assuming starting condition, etc. are equal), if you shot one and kept the other NIB, I would bet the one that is shot loses $10K in value  the minute you pull the trigger and put a couple of belts through it, compared to the one that remains NIB.

Put some wear/tear, scratches and dents on it and you are going to widen that gap even more.

There are some corner cases where fired guns with the bugs that have been worked are worth more because the NIB variants were notorious for having issues.   However  that is more the exception than any sort of rule.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
i put a dummy round at the end of each belt.. it easily doubles the life of the bolt. i rock my MK43 as much as i can.
i pat my buddies down to make sure they dont have metal clips and stuff on their gear or clothes so not to scratch the shit out of it.
i enjoy my shit. life is to short to count every nickel.

Quoted:
Backbencher,

I'm a collector, and I like my MGs in pristine condition. It's just a personal thing.

On your 1919 vs M60 vs 240 point, I'll leave that part of your question to the experienced historians and operators of this board. As to the first part, my M60 is very reliable. But then again, I don't shoot it to the extreme volume that the military shot the old M60s, and I don't take it out in wet and hot humid conditions, which may have been the culprit for some of the reliability issues of the old M60s (as a comparison, the first six months that I had it, I shot around 15,000 rounds, although now that the newness wore off, I'm down to like 500 rounds every two or so months).

The M60 that I have is the E6 version. It still has some of the design issues/complaints of the old M60. For example, the bolt still wears down and has peening issues. For that reason, I have extra new in the bag spare part of everything, except the buttstock. It'll eventually need the spares.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Bad ass.

Someone obviously made some good decisions in life when they find themselves buying not one, but two 240B's.

Beautiful guns OP, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
It's been a long time since I've shot a 240.  I really want a transferable one, but I honestly think I'll have to "settle" for a 58 converted.  Nice gun OP and nice pics!  It's VERY nice looking!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I loved the 240 back when I was a grunt. It was dependable and accurate. I loved it way more than the 60. But I didn't love it more than I loved that sweet sweet Mk19.

I don't remember ever having any issues with the 240 either. It ate all ammo. I think the only time I saw one jam was because the link was all F'd up. Just keep the top cover gizmos lubed up and shoot that bad boy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

On the M240E's I used in the Corps, the rate of fire was altered from 750 rpm at the smallest setting, and could be adjusted to 850 rpm and 950 rpm.
We were told this was to allow for the gun to be more reliable when it got dirty.
Too much carbon build up causing the gun to slow down? Open the gas regulator up some.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These transferable guns all started off as FNMI M240s. In the 90s, the Army did testing on the M60E4 versus the M240E4. The M240E4 won the competition. FN then started upgrading 1000 of the M240s for the Army. I was told that the 6 or so known FNMI  transferables were upgraded at the same time, and then stamped by FNMI to 'B' status. I asked a knowledgable dealer why FN allowed the guns to get into the civilian market, and his response was that they were sent out for some sort of exhibit or testing. Whoever first had the guns then registered them right before the 86 cut off. Thanks to that person, whoever they were, we at least have some, even if very few, in the registry.  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DLO registered side plate gun or a MAG58. Those guns are much more affordable at around $100,000, and, I hear that they perform just as well. Those are still rare, but I hear that if you turn over enough stones, you can find one.

You're really paying for the history and the rarity when it comes to the FNMI M240.

I'm learning about the history of the gun. Next is to learn how to operate and assemble the gun. If tomorrow, ATF miraculously approved the gun after one week, I wouldn't know how to assemble it or even use it. I was told that you can change the rate of fire. Really?

The 240b can be adjusted from 600 625 or 650 rpm. Gas regulator setting 1 2 and 3. Well that's what my instructor told me this last week. Assembly is pretty simple. Insert oprod/bolt assembly from the rear of reciever. Guide rod spring assembly into oprod. Trigger assembly and pin onto reciever. Slap on the buttstock and barrel assembly and done. Really easy. I fired 1500 rounds on Thursday. It's a blast.

I'm USAF AD.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]
so whats the difference between the 240 and a mag58?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
so whats the difference between the 240 and a mag58?
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#26]
There are many different variations of the FN MAG, of which the M240 is one variant.

The M240 is the U.S. military version of the FN MAG. Even within the M240 class of families, there are many different variations of the M240, of which the M240 Bravo is the most commonly fielded version.

Here is a link to the wiki page which discusses the FN MAG. There is a section that lists all the different variations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_MAG

Here is a link to the family of M240 variations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240_machine_gun

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  There are many different variations of the FN MAG, of which the M240 is one variant.

The M240 is the U.S. military version of the FN MAG. Even within the M240 class of families, there are many different variations of the M240, of which the M240 Bravo is the most commonly fielded version.

Here is a link to the wiki page which discusses the FN MAG. There is a section that lists all the different variations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_MAG

Here is a link to the family of M240 variations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240_machine_gun
View Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_MAG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240_machine_gun
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#28]
What the hell. I know the 240g has three gas settings but the 240b should only has one gas setting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Speaking of MAG58...

Doug had a MAG 58 project gun up on subguns. I tried buying it, but it went quickly.

Did anyone here buy it?

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought about it seriously but I have other things going at the moment in which I can't do both.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#31]

I went to the holding dealer and assembled the guns today. The guns are still pending form 4.

First time I assembled both guns and placed them together.

It was quite fun. I received a lesson on the assembly of the M240 and assembled one, myself.

These are NFA registered machine guns.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#32]

kudos on the spank.

i'm just a lowly engineer who gets frustrated with the oddities of the 240 on a frequent enough basis that i'd never own one even if i had the opportunity!

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#33]
he needs more wear on those feed trays
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#34]
2-7 clicks, bro. Just remember that. Enjoy your new toy!

Also, don't run the gun on the highest gas setting if you have that particular gas plug. You will beat the gun to death. Most of the 240b's have run to a single position gas plug though. What you were told is correct. It's not adjustable like an AR gas block. Remove the barrel and then pull the plug, rotate it and reinsert. I doubt you'll even get to that point. Also, these things like to build up copper. Hope you have a dental pick and some good solvent.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top