Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 2:48:17 AM EDT
I recently acquired a factory FN M240B. That gun will be my shooter 240.

I also made an even rarer acquisition: a second factory FN M240B, unfired, that is the 0 gun ('0' being the last number in the SN string).

Here I am holding the receiver. It was quite an experience to hold it. It currently sits in NFA jail. The registered part is the side plate, on the other side. It just began pending form 4.

Here is the original box that the 240 came in. It was necessary to open the box to verify the SN on the gun. My dealer kept the receiver.

Tonight, I unwrapped the box. This is my first time ever opening and unwrapping an M240, so I thought I would take pics and share them.

Barrel

Top cover. Upon handling the top cover, my first thought was, 'it's so small.'

So I compared it to my M60E6s top cover. Surprisingly, the M240 has a larger top cover.

Bolt and op rod assembly.

Trigger assembly

Looks like an ammo carrier. Too small to hold 100, probably holds 50.

Bipod (which I shall never use)

Buttstock. Check out the cool curves.

This is my other M240B. It is also in NFA jail.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice machinegun.  Listening to veterans speak of machineguns, sometimes I wonder if it's not the mechanism or the specific mechanics of a gun that gets it replaced, or makes it the replacement, but the age of the original gun.

IE, M60 replaces M1919, replaced in turn by the M240.  Was the M240 that much a better gun than the M60, or were the M60s just worn out?

FYI, you've posted your pics in a public forum that is available to anyone whether they're registered or not, and all they have to do to repost your photos is to right click, select Copy Image Location, and post that address anywhere on the internet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:15:49 AM EDT
[#2]
What is the significance of the '0' being the last number in the SN string?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Love the 240, a bit harder to clean than the M60 but much better overall.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
That shop in your first pic looks familiar..
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]
How much
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much
View Quote

If transferable, which I believe he said they were in a previous post also he would not be using a dealer If they were post or premay samples, likely around $150k each.

They look like they are in great condition and would be loads of fun to shoot as well as great investments, thanks for posting the pics!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The '0' is allegedly the first one out the door of the FN factory. I don't know how to go about proving that xxxxxx0 was the first, and honestly, I don't think it would matter.  Because it was the 0 gun, I had to do some convincing to get the gentleman to sell to me.  A lot of convincing. In the end, I was just happy to acquire it, first gun or not.

It's ok that it's in a public forum, too. I don't believe in hiding these guns in a dark vault, to never see the light of day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The '0' is allegedly the first one out the door of the FN factory. I don't know how to go about proving that xxxxxx0 was the first, and honestly, I don't think it would matter.  Because it was the 0 gun, I had to do some convincing to get the gentleman to sell to me.  A lot of convincing. In the end, I was just happy to acquire it, first gun or not.

It's ok that it's in a public forum, too. I don't believe in hiding these guns in a dark vault, to never see the light of day.
View Quote

You're lucky. Of all the guns I carried overseas...the m240 will forever hold my heart.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#9]
me likey ...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
You are one lucky man.  Is that not what they say at weddings when you are hooking up with a beautiful bride.  This seems to be about the same thing only more expensive.

I have an honest question.  I'm not trying to start anything...

You said your FFL/SOT kept the serialized side plate so a assumed you took the rest home?

I thought that any "part" of a silencer or MG was in fact a silencer or MG. Would that not prevent you from possessing the rest of the gun even though the SOT kept the side plate?  Can someone explain my confusion.

Honest question.  I don't understand.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You are one lucky man.  Is that not they say at weddings when you are hooking up with a beautiful bride.  This seems to be about the same thing only more expensive.

You said your FFL/SOT kept the serialized side plate so a assumed you took the rest home?

I thought that any "part" of a silencer or MG was in fact a silencer or MG. Would that not prevent you from possessing the rest of the gun even though the SOT kept the side plate?  Can someone explain my confusion.

View Quote

ATF sees and regulates silencers in a completely different fashion than all other Title II firearms.

With silencers they consider any silencer "part" (besides a wipe) to be a silencer itself.  

My understanding is that this is primarily due to folks years ago selling unregulated silencer "kits" at gunshows and that at the end of the day a silencer is really just made up of pretty generic components

Vendor A would be selling washers and threaded "pipe" endcaps, and his buddy vendor B would be selling threaded "windchime" tubes.  To crack down on this the ATF just declared all silencer parts to be silencers unto themselves.  That way somebody who buys a kit of fender washers and a threaded tube is still guilty of having a "silencer" even though they just really have a collection of misc parts you could source from home depot.   They have since taken this position to the laughable extreme via determination letters that even "Chore-Boy" wire mesh brillo pad are now silencers.  (think shoelace machinegun letter)   This is why AAC cant sell you a replacement rachet spring and why you cant take your endcaps and baffles home with you and pick up the tube once the paperwork is approved.

All other Title II firearms generally only regulated by the serialized component.

An M16, the only controlled part is the serialize lower.  The upper, pistol grip, stock, etc. is no different from an AR15.  Purchase an M16 and you can take all the "unregulated" parts home with you.

An M240B is no different.  You can take all the non-regulated parts home, except the actual "receiver", which is this case due to its manufacture,  the serialized component would be the right sideplate.  

However, I assume for practical reasons the rest of the receiver (trunion, left side plate, etc.) was left behind at the dealer as well since they are all riveted together to form the actual receiver.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#12]
These are pre-86 transferrable's right?  

At some point have they been rebuilt?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, these are transferable pre-86 guns.

My understanding is that these guns were upgraded at the FN factory to Bravo configuration, and then stamped B.

According to a couple of very knowledgable dealers, who I spoke to, Ed Holtz at Urban Armory being one of them (these guns didn't come from Ed), approximately 6 left the FN factory for various reasons. These became the transferable FN M240Bs.

It's kind of sad that more 240s didn't leave the factory. There's no reason why the 240 shouldn't be almost as plentiful as the M60 in the NFA registry, given that the FN MAG was designed in the 50s. FN had at least a decade before the 68 GCA to import the FN MAG, and 9 years before the 86 cut off (since the M240 was adopted by the U.S. military in 1977). Ultimately, I think FN just wasn't being responsive to the American civilian market, and didn't want to release the M240 to US civilian collectors.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ATF sees and regulates silencers in a completely different fashion than all other Title II firearms.

With silencers they consider any silencer "part" (besides a wipe) to be a silencer itself.  

My understanding is that this is primarily due to folks years ago selling unregulated silencer "kits" at gunshows and that at the end of the day a silencer is really just made up of pretty generic components

Vendor A would be selling washers and threaded "pipe" endcaps, and his buddy vendor B would be selling threaded "windchime" tubes.  To crack down on this the ATF just declared all silencer parts to be silencers unto themselves.  That way somebody who buys a kit of fender washers and a threaded tube is still guilty of having a "silencer" even though they just really have a collection of misc parts you could source from home depot.   They have since taken this position to the laughable extreme via determination letters that even "Chore-Boy" wire mesh brillo pad are now silencers.  (think shoelace machinegun letter)   This is why AAC cant sell you a replacement rachet spring and why you cant take your endcaps and baffles home with you and pick up the tube once the paperwork is approved.

All other Title II firearms generally only regulated by the serialized component.

An M16, the only controlled part is the serialize lower.  The upper, pistol grip, stock, etc. is no different from an AR15.  Purchase an M16 and you can take all the "unregulated" parts home with you.

An M240B is no different.  You can take all the non-regulated parts home, except the actual "receiver", which is this case due to its manufacture,  the serialized component would be the right sideplate.  

However, I assume for practical reasons the rest of the receiver (trunion, left side plate, etc.) was left behind at the dealer as well since they are all riveted together to form the actual receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are one lucky man.  Is that not they say at weddings when you are hooking up with a beautiful bride.  This seems to be about the same thing only more expensive.

Congress, not ATF did this as part of FOPA86.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, that makes sense. I was pretty sure they didn't look like that in 1986

Some beautiful machines you have.  I wish I could build my own
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the word JEALOUS comes to mind to me right now. Must be very nice to be a C3/SOT.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think the word JEALOUS comes to mind to me right now. Must be very nice to be a C3/SOT.
View Quote

He's not. Those are transferrable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

O.o

Didn't think the 240s were transferrable (post-86 and all that jazz). That's a new one on me.

Still JEALOUS.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
O.o

Didn't think the 240s were transferrable (post-86 and all that jazz). That's a new one on me.

Still JEALOUS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

O.o

Still JEALOUS.
Yeah, extremely rare.  Especially in a converted B state from FN.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that ATF treated silencers and MGs the same.  That is why a conversion kit is a machine gun.  Or why a shoestring (at one time) was a machine gun.

I thought the reason you could take an M16 home with you, without the lower is that the M16 parts could be used to build an AR15 and thus where not ONLY used to build a MG.

I'm still confused.

ETA:  OK, after a little research, maybe it is only "conversion kits" that are considered machine guns in and of themselves.

I'm still confused.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you accepting friend applications?

...Off to donate more money to Nolo's lawsuit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#25]

ETA:  OK, after a little research, maybe it is only "conversion kits" that are considered machine guns in and of themselves.

I'm still confused.

View Quote

In general conversion parts that are specifically intended to convert a semi-automatic firearm into a machinegun and which require no modification to the semi-automatic receiver are regulated as conversion devices.  Factory full auto parts which cannot be installed into a semi-automatic receiver are in general not regulated items.

A M16 Drop in Auto Sear is designed to convert a semi-automatic AR15 into a machinegun and requires no modification to the host receiver.  A factory M16 autosear cant be installed into an AR15 unless you mod the receiver to M16 spec (making the receiver a machinegun unto itself).  A factory HK sear wont fit into a HK Semi Auto Trigger pack and a factory full auto trigger pack wont fit on a HK semi-auto receiver.  However, a HK conversion sear fits into a semi auto trigger pack which fits onto an unmodified HK semi auto receiver, so they are regulated.

There are some corner case exceptions and gray areas like an M2 Carbine full auto conversion parts fit into an M1 Carbine and unregulated by themselves unless you technically have all of them (at which point they are considered a kit) and a semi auto M1 carbine.  So if you own an semi-auto M1 carbine and purchase an M2 registered receiver,  its probably in your best interest not to take all the unserialized M2 full auto fire control components home with you and store them in a baggie next to your M1 carbine.

A good rule of thumb is if you can buy the parts on the open market as spares, than you are probably clear to take them home with you the day your gun shows up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My understanding is that these guns were upgraded at the FN factory to Bravo configuration, and then stamped B.

According to a couple of very knowledgable dealers, who I spoke to, Ed Holtz at Urban Armory being one of them (these guns didn't come from Ed), approximately 6 left the FN factory for various reasons. These became the transferable FN M240Bs.

It's kind of sad that more 240s didn't leave the factory. There's no reason why the 240 shouldn't be almost as plentiful as the M60 in the NFA registry, given that the FN MAG was designed in the 50s. FN had at least a decade before the 68 GCA to import the FN MAG, and 9 years before the 86 cut off (since the M240 was adopted by the U.S. military in 1977). Ultimately, I think FN just wasn't being responsive to the American civilian market, and didn't want to release the M240 to US civilian collectors.

View Quote

Very cool gun/s.  Thanks for sharing pics and history.

I didn't realize there were any factory FN bravo guns out there.   I assumed they were either all older MAG58s which may have been upgraded or Oefinger side plate guns.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I spoke to someone a few months ago that had just purchased a DLO Mag 58 for $85k.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Doesn't Tiger Valley have a course for these?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that ATF treated silencers and MGs the same.  That is why a conversion kit is a machine gun.  Or why a shoestring (at one time) was a machine gun.
View Quote

Yes, Congress changed that in FOPA86 Also:

The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

However, for the most common machine guns, such as AR, HK, FNC, etc, the conversion part is a single part.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I think an important distinction is that if you read the code, as posted by RenegadeX, and what most dealers will tell you, is that you can not have a combination of parts that will allow you to assemble a complete gun, as that would be deemed constructive possession.

For example, as jb stated above, you can strip and take home the unregistered parts of an M16 if you are pending the form 4. If you have a form 4 pending, you can strip the barrel, pistol grip, bolt, etc, and take it all home with you, thereby leaving the registered receiver at the dealer. The reason is that with the parts that you take home, you could not assemble a gun with those parts (see the code quoted by RenegadeX).

However, if you have a semi auto AR at home, you legally could not completely strip the M16 down to its bare receiver. Which part you could not strip and take home, even though it isn't registered? The GI auto sear (and possibly the M16 trigger assembly) even though it doesn't have a serial number. The reason is that if you take home the GI auto sear and the other parts and you have a semi auto receiver at your home, you could then assemble an unregistered MG, in contravention of the code. That could be deemed constructive possession of an unregistered MG.

For the same reason, there are some people who say that if you don't have a semi auto AR, you could then take home the GI auto sear, own a conversion kit, or own a shoestring, etc. That's because without a semi auto AR, you couldn't assemble a complete MG.

The above is what I have been told by various people and dealers.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great googly moogly.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#32]
[redacted]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Time to buy a helicopter to mount that 240 as a side gunner! Sounds like you can afford it, shouldn't cost much more than the gun.  :)

What a hobby!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think an important distinction is that if you read the code, as posted by RenegadeX, and what most dealers will tell you, is that you can not have a combination of parts that will allow you to assemble a complete gun, as that would be deemed constructive possession.

For example, as jb stated above, you can strip and take home the unregistered parts of an M16 if you are pending the form 4. If you have a form 4 pending, you can strip the barrel, pistol grip, bolt, etc, and take it all home with you, thereby leaving the registered receiver at the dealer. The reason is that with the parts that you take home, you could not assemble a gun with those parts (see the code quoted by RenegadeX).

However, if you have a semi auto AR at home, you legally could not completely strip the M16 down to its bare receiver. Which part you could not strip and take home, even though it isn't registered? The GI auto sear (and possibly the M16 trigger assembly) even though it doesn't have a serial number. The reason is that if you take home the GI auto sear and the other parts and you have a semi auto receiver at your home, you could then assemble an unregistered MG, in contravention of the code. That could be deemed constructive possession of an unregistered MG.

For the same reason, there are some people who say that if you don't have a semi auto AR, you could then take home the GI auto sear, own a conversion kit, or own a shoestring, etc. That's because without a semi auto AR, you couldn't assemble a complete MG.

The above is what I have been told by various people and dealers.

View Quote

Thanks for helping me understand.

Again, great looking gun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I was over at Cheaper than dirt guns in RR and they have a $275k Parker double barrel 20ga shotgun. I know what I would rather have for that price
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I didn't realize there were any factory FN bravo guns out there.   I assumed they were either all older MAG58s which may have been upgraded or Oefinger side plate guns.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I gotta stop looking at these threads as I will never be able to afford such things.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for sharing... such a sight never to be seen again!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I gotta stop looking at these threads as I will never be able to afford such things.
View Quote

You can get a MAC for under $5k, its no 240B but still loads of fun and a legit full auto
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You can get a MAC for under $5k, its no 240B but still loads of fun and a legit full auto
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Attach a Lage upper to it, and you will have a super cool modern looking gun. It's more fun than any person should have.

As far as cost, I know people who spend $5000 on a TV or motorcycle. Get the gun! Have some fun!

Be careful though, it always starts off with one...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#41]
God; about the only current military machine gun that I have not laid in the prone behind it. They became general issue when I left in 2007. Yes, they were in the inventory before that, but only in Big Army units; I was in the lowly Reserves, so we were still running around with SAWs.

I've fired M60s, M2s, M1919A4s, M1917s, PKMs and RPKs, but never a 240. I feel cheated.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Warren Buffet territory, shot many while deployed, great gun!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

God; about the only current military machine gun that I have not laid in the prone behind it. They became general issue when I left in 2007. Yes, they were in the inventory before that, but only in Big Army units; I was in the lowly Reserves, so we were still running around with SAWs.

I've fired M60s, M2s, M1919A4s, M1917s, PKMs and RPKs, but never a 240. I feel cheated.
View Quote

You should feel cheated.  I really enjoy shooting them mounted on a vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Lmao this is so awesome, I'm actually laughing.  Tony, you are THE MAN!  2 transferrable m240s in like 2 months?!?  That's amazing...unheard of IMO.

Do you mind me asking what you do or what you did do?  I'm almost an attorney, but damn...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I own a business, which I built from scratch with a $500 loan from my parents. In 1999, before I started my business, I was dirt poor. Oh, the memories.

This is my way of making up for the toys that I couldn't buy when I was a little kid. I had Gobots, when I was a kid. Remember those things? The poor kids Transformers.

If you're going to be an attorney, I suspect you will have some pretty big toys, one day, too. Aren't attorney brief cases destructive devices?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Everyone go home, Tony just won the internet forever. Very nice.

David
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#47]
There were transferrable Bravos? Sonuvabtich.....
Now im tempted to sell everything for one.
Like everything.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh damn, I just drooled a little bit on my computer. . .
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Mama Deuce never treated me wrong.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#50]
These transferable guns all started off as FNMI M240s. In the 90s, the Army did testing on the M60E4 versus the M240E4. The M240E4 won the competition. FN then started upgrading 1000 of the M240s for the Army. I was told that the 6 or so known FNMI  transferables were upgraded at the same time, and then stamped by FNMI to 'B' status. I asked a knowledgable dealer why FN allowed the guns to get into the civilian market, and his response was that they were sent out for some sort of exhibit or testing. Whoever first had the guns then registered them right before the 86 cut off. Thanks to that person, whoever they were, we at least have some, even if very few, in the registry.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DLO registered side plate gun or a MAG58. Those guns are much more affordable at around $100,000, and, I hear that they perform just as well. Those are still rare, but I hear that if you turn over enough stones, you can find one.

You're really paying for the history and the rarity when it comes to the FNMI M240.

I'm learning about the history of the gun. Next is to learn how to operate and assemble the gun. If tomorrow, ATF miraculously approved the gun after one week, I wouldn't know how to assemble it or even use it. I was told that you can change the rate of fire. Really?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top