Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2015 3:28:51 PM EDT
Greetings,

Seriously considering a Sterling SMG as my next FA purchase.

Things that interest me about the Sterling include historical aspects; relatively light weight (6 lbs)
vs something like the UZI (7.72 lbs); decent availability of surplus mags / other parts; and relative
availability / economy of 9 mm ammo.

That said, I'm still trying to figure out what represents the best option for this platform; e.g., I've
read that the PAWS Sterlings aren't very good.  On the other hand, the Andrewski builds on DLO
tubes seem to get pretty high marks.  But, are these made to the original specs?  (e.g., can I use
surplus parts in them?).  Etc.

Would be especially appreciative of info from those who have experience with this gun.

Thanks!

SD

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of the sterling, but I'm also a bit of a purist. Would only be happy with a semi-auto conversion or one of the few transferable factory English or Canadians.

Don't care for the DLO tube guns. They work well as shooters, but aren't Sterlings. This may have changed, but last time I looked at one, because the tubes are sten tubes, the cocking handle slot is wider than that of the actual factory Sterling. Noticed it instantly and didn't like it. There may be other differences.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of the sterling, but I'm also a bit of a purist. Would only be happy with a semi-auto conversion or one of the few transferable factory English or Canadians.

Don't care for the DLO tube guns. They work well as shooters, but aren't Sterlings. This may have changed, but last time I looked at one, because the tubes are sten tubes, the cocking handle slot is wider than that of the actual factory Sterling. Noticed it instantly and didn't like it. There may be other differences.
View Quote

I believe some of the DLO tubes were Sterling, not sten tubes.  I've heard people refer to Sterlings built on sten tubes as Stenlings.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I believe some of the DLO tubes were Sterling, not sten tubes.  I've heard people refer to Sterlings built on sten tubes as Stenlings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I call them too, but you never know what it really is until you see it. I've seen many called Sterlings which were Sten tube guns.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently had my F4 approved and took possession of my Sterling. It was built by Frank Hatten of AMA on a DLO tube. I've only had it to the range three times but I really like it!  It's easy to shoot and very controllable.

Not a very good pic, but here's mine

This was my fourth or fifth mag fired through it. Full auto, one trigger pull at 15 yards.

And a video of me and a buddy shooting it.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/U5SBvEhA9gY[/youtube]

Sterling Video
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Back about 12 years ago, a group of Raleigh guys got a group buy together, and at the time I didn't have the cash. It would have cost a total of about $4k.

That's one of my regrets, not scraping up the money.

You won't go wrong with a DLO Sterling, especially if it's an Andrewski build.

The problem will be finding one: these guns rarely come onto the market. And when they do, they seem to sell for more than a Vector UZI.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info so far-- nice pics.

"these guns rarely come onto the market. And when they do, they seem to sell for more than a Vector UZI"
View Quote

Yes, this is the kind of info I'm also looking for-- what's a good price on a
"decent" build?

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Awesome! The subsonic looked especially controllable.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I don't have any FA stuff but I did shoot Sterling's in Iraq - long story.   I was amazed by how controllable, accurate, and easy to hit with it is for a 9mm subgun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a DLO tube, Andrewski built Sterling.  This tube gun is exactly like a Sterling and has the crinkle finish.  Someone earlier in the post mentioned that he thought all tube guns had incorrect dimensions compared to a Sterling.  This is not true.  He is thinking of a Stenling as someone also mentioned.  A Sterling tube gun built correctly is identical to an original Sterling.

I bought my tube for 3000 (I think), had the build completed for, I don't remember but I bet I have 5000 maybe in it?  

Uzi prices have jumped a lot.  I bought mine about 8 years ago for 5000, now I think people want more then 10000?

They are similar guns in terms of how they feel when shot and ROF.  I think the Uzi wins in terms of adaptation, mainly you can get a .22 kit for it

If I could own just one, Id get the Uzi, but I like the Sterling as its weird compared to all the other MGs I have, and I like to show it to my Star Wars nerd friends as my Stormtrooper Blaster...

If its your 1st MG, I wouldn't get either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:31:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a DLO tube, Andrewski built Sterling. This tube gun is exactly like a Sterling and has the crinkle finish.
View Quote

Sounds good -- from what I can tell, everyone thus far seems to suggest that the Andrewski built Sterling
is likely the best option available.

If I could own just one, Id get the Uzi, but I like the Sterling as its weird compared to all the other MGs I have,
and I like to show it to my Star Wars nerd friends as my Stormtrooper Blaster...
View Quote

I actually already have a full-sized UZI, and like the Sterling as a bit of a sleeker, lighter 9 mm
Subgun.  (don't see getting rid of the UZI, for the foreseeable future anyway)

Just out of curiosity, what would you suggest as the ideal "1st MG"?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sounds good -- from what I can tell, everyone thus far seems to suggest that the Andrewski built Sterling

I actually already have a full-sized UZI, and like the Sterling as a bit of a sleeker, lighter 9 mm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a DLO tube, Andrewski built Sterling. This tube gun is exactly like a Sterling and has the crinkle finish.

If I could own just one, Id get the Uzi, but I like the Sterling as its weird compared to all the other MGs I have,
and I like to show it to my Star Wars nerd friends as my Stormtrooper Blaster...

I would really like to hear this as well.
I just purchased my first MG(DLO Sten MKII)  So I was interested in hearing about you contemplating the Sterling
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]

If price wasn't an issue, a RDIAS.  I bough mine a long time ago, does anything, and can I have uppers from a dedicated suppressed shorty .22, an integral LRM-169 upper, up to the .308 shorty uppers.  Its everything all rolled into one.  My second favorite is my HK sear

With that being said, I see sears are >$20,000, and that just goes to show you how desirable they are as they are probably the best all around thing to have

I think considering price, you cant go wrong with a MAC 10 and all its conversions, followed by UZI, then others

Its so personal, everyone has their "best" 1st MG.  I think best would mean convertible.  But some guys would want an original BAR and be happy as their only MG

You certainly can't go wrong with what you have
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If price wasn't an issue, a RDIAS.  I bough mine a long time ago, does anything, and can I have uppers from a dedicated suppressed shorty .22, an integral LRM-169 upper, up to the .308 shorty uppers.  Its everything all rolled into one.  My second favorite is my HK sear

With that being said, I see sears are >$20,000, and that just goes to show you how desirable they are as they are probably the best all around thing to have

I think considering price, you cant go wrong with a MAC 10 and all its conversions, followed by UZI, then others

Its so personal, everyone has their "best" 1st MG.  I think best would mean convertible.  But some guys would want an original BAR and be happy as their only MG

You certainly can't go wrong with what you have
View Quote

Good post/points!
Based on everything I've read, Id agree.....RDIAS/M16 lower, etc. and then HK sear would be my top choices if money wasn't an issue....for all of the possibilities.  

If money is an issue, I understand the WHY of the MAC's, they just personally don't do anything for me.  I guess the machine pistols just don't do anything for me in general.....
I would have chosen a Sterling as a first MG, but I like the look and history of the Sten more for some reason.  EIther way, I like the sterling and based on everything Ive read, IMO OP would enjoy it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#16]
A sten is actually going to be the next gun I buy.  I like the historical place it holds
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

SOME of the DLO tubes were layed out for STEN builds others are cut properly for Sterling builds. The DLO STEN tubes used for Sterling kit builds are known as Stenlings and while perfectly functional, command ~$1,000 less than a properly cut Sterling tube.

The Andrewski Sterling builds (Stan's Gunsmithing) are superb.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Very controllable SMG, I can write my name in the paper while shooting it :)
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I would love to see a photograph of a registered tube that shows the Sterling cuts.  Not sure if parts kits for Sterlings were even around in 1986, otherwise why register a tube for a gun that could not be made?  According to the Guns of Dagenham book, the Mk.4 was phased out in 1994.

My Sterling was made by Andrewski in 2000 on a BARR Armsmaker registered tube.  This was soon after he got permission from BATFE to modify a registered STEN tube to work with a Sterling parts kit.  After seeing the Small Arms Review article on it I knew what 9mm smg to get.  I had tried all the affordable 9's (i.e. not a MP 5 ).  Tried the MP40,  Stens, UZIs, MACs, Smith 76, and the Walther.  They all were functionable but had things I did not like such as wobbly stocks, bitch to load magazines, parts availability, sub-optimal ergonomics, etc.

It originally had the original larger slots of the STEN.  I later was invited to send it back to Andrewski and it was modified (after another round of permissions from the BATFE masters) to the correct dimensions of the Sterling.  It runs like a top, is accurate, the stock locks up solidly, and the magazines load like butter.  Bought the spare parts like a barrel, bolt with recoil spring, grip assy, and  a trigger group when they were still inexpensive.

The only downside is the difficulty in mounting a suppressor.  Been thinking of having an extension made for the spare barrel.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:14:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Rockdoc, here is a picture of my DLO Sterling tubes before I had them built up.

" />

Hope this helps

oh yea

" />
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Can anyone comment on the Sterling SMG's built by Don's Gun Shop in
Fort Myers, FL?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Can anyone comment on the Sterling SMG's built by Don's Gun Shop in

Fort Myers, FL?

View Quote
I thought Don's were mostly Stenlings and I would much rather have a Sterling instead of a revamped Sten. I also remember there were some issues with some of his builds, if it was a general problem or just a few I have no idea.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Found a transferrable Sterling L2A1 for sale (amnesty registered, made in
the Sterling factory in Great Britain in '54).

Just wondering what the fair value of an original piece like this might
be?  (already looked at Machine Gun Price guide, though I don't think
those prices would apply to an original piece like this).  I just can't imagine
that there are *that* many of these guns in the registry.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#24]
A small number (5?) of NIB transferable original Sterlings became available a couple years ago.  They sold for about $22,000 each if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:23:40 AM EDT
[#25]
has to be at least twice of the value of a decent tube gun.   Ruben had some in the factory wrap original Sterlings, they didn't go cheap.   This was 2-3 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top