Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2015 8:01:52 PM EDT
Once the form comes back, How hard is it to cut the barrel?  Vice and hacksaw easy or more complicated?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It's really not that hard to do yourself. I sent mine to Rose Action Sports though since I wanted it done right and threaded for chokes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You could probably do it easy with a hacksaw just be careful and make it even and square. Get a square and check it. Go back through and deburr it with a file and some sand paper or whatever and then use some blueing to cover the cut.

My neighbor had a horizontal band saw so I just did that, I would have just done it with a hacksaw otherwise
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm planning on going the Rose Action Sports route on mine.

Give me tools and I always find a way to wreck the project.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How much is it for them to cut it and add a choke tube?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much is it for them to cut it and add a choke tube?
View Quote

I was quoted 165 to cut to 12.5, leave it as cyl bore and mount a scattergun tech front sight (that I supply).
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to do it yourself a simple trick is to use a pipe cutter to scribe a nice square mark around the barrel. Cut with whatever you want, be it a hacksaw, die grinder, band saw, etc. leaving some extra past the scribe. Then use hand files to square the barrel down to the scribe line. Use some sand paper to smooth the end and polish with a dremel if you really want to get fancy. Now if you want to have it threaded for chokes and or bead sight you might just want to send it off as it shouldn't cost much more to the job to add in the barrel cutting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I just sent off my 12" barrel to Rose Action Sports for a Remchoke.  Fast service, nice job, no hassles.  $60 plus $15 return shipping.  

Here is Guncat's info:

Rose Action Sports
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Grease the barrel surface to prevent marking and use a pipe cutter. Make the entire cut with the pipe cutter. Ridgid makes a nice cutter.  Clean up the inside burr with 320 grit sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel.  

This makes a very nice cut.

The scattergun tech sight glues on with Devcon Prosteel epoxy.  I have done several.  I don't recommend using the jig for the rear sight.  Some receivers are different and the jig won't center the holes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The ARwifey wants to make a wind chime, and I told her that she could if she made them from old shotgun barrels.

If anyone could point me in the direction  to acquire a few PM me.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to do it yourself a simple trick is to use a pipe cutter to scribe a nice square mark around the barrel. Cut with whatever you want, be it a hacksaw, die grinder, band saw, etc. leaving some extra past the scribe. Then use hand files to square the barrel down to the scribe line. Use some sand paper to smooth the end and polish with a dremel if you really want to get fancy. Now if you want to have it threaded for chokes and or bead sight you might just want to send it off as it shouldn't cost much more to the job to add in the barrel cutting.
View Quote

This is how I did mine.  I also purchased an XS Tritium Dot sight from Brownells, drilled and taped the barrel, and screwed the sight in using red Loctite on the threads to make sure the sight would stay there.  After the Loctite dried I dressed the inside of the barrel with jewelers files and emery cloth.  Cylinder bore still keeps the pattern of 00 buck pretty tight at HD distances.  I cold blued the end of the barrel but that wore off pretty quickly.  I never look at it from that angle anyway so being unfinished makes no difference to me.  I has not rusted and I SBR'd this about 6 or 7 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have cut several with a hack saw followed by a mill file and then 400 grit paper then cold blue.

The cutting is the easy part.  getting the front sight holes on the top dead center of the barrel is the hard part.  

They were fun projects, but the last two I did I was able to order a factory sbs barrel. made those projects easy.

I was also able to get "youth" stocks that took 2 inches off the oal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#12]
hacksaw worked fine on mine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I used a hacksaw on my smooth barrel.  It didn't come out that well.  (Pro tip - Don't do home Gunsmithing while intoxicated.)

My rifled barrel I had chopped by a real (and sober) gunsmith.  That came out much better.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Ended up having a local SOT do it for 50.00. That was cheap enough to not risk screwing it up myself.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top