Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 12:59:50 AM EDT
This thing is awesome.  The rate of fire is very fast, but not retarded fast like the MG42.  It's my matching pre May MG34.  It was barely shot by the previous owner, but for some reason they felt the need to leave it with the bolt locked back for years while not using it, so the recoil spring was majorly worn out.  Besides that, it's in very good shape for a gun that is 70 years old.

I went ahead and picked up some simple spare parts for it to swap out.  Installed a new recoil spring which was about 3 inches longer than the one in this gun!  I also bought a new sear spring and a barrel return spring.  I've read these things are good to replace, but does anyone have any actual instructions on how to change them out?  I have the Collector MG34 MG42 book, but I could not find it in that.  Any help is appreciated!  The gun was running fine as is, but springs are always good to replace after 70 years.

Now I'm on the hunt for a proper MG34 lafette mount for it if any of you have any tips.  Damn the mounts are expensive!  Almost as much as the gun!  Not sure if I can swallow that.  I'd also like a proper MG42 mount as well for my C&R MG42 if you have any tips as well.

Video to come.....

I hope you enjoy the pictures, and thanks for reading.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
She's beautiful.  She needs a BMW sidecar to ride in.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:03:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's beautiful.  She needs a BMW sidecar to ride in.  
View Quote

Get the Lafette tripod

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
What do the E and C triggers do?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That should be an E and a D. Pulling on the E portion is semiauto, pulling on the D is fullauto.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]
34's are so much fun! I've only shot a post sample, but it was fun!  Great looking MG!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That should be an E and a D. Pulling on the E portion is semiauto, pulling on the D is fullauto.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. It's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
WOW. That's awesome. Need video
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful!! The MG that set the precidence for all that followed. The MG34 is just ao regal looking! You should be able to ping maidens at 1500 with that beauty once you get your tripod. As a former MG gunner, i wish i could get my hands on a 34 or 42. Maybe if im ever rich...

As far as direct support maintaience level work on your new MG, try googling the manuals. Im sure someone has translated one. Changing out a recoil spring should be an easy affair, probably could do it just by field stripping. I havent seen an mg34 diagram in a while though. Have fun with your new sweetheart! Try not to burn out your barrels... :D
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top