Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2014 3:03:23 AM EDT
Greetings,

Looking at getting an UZI as a first MG.  I've already looked around
(online) a bit, and reasons that I like this platform include--

- good price point for me (call it ~$11K-13K, with some wiggle room)
- looking for an actual "shooter" >> collector piece
- can shoot  9 mm on most ranges (and I have a local range that allows full auto)
- suppresses pretty well (better than rifle calibers, anyway)
- seems to be a good supply of spare parts... if you buy the right conversion, anyway.

But, there still seem to be a number of variations, even among legally-registered / transferable
full-auto UZI's:

- looks like the "slotted bolt" UZI's are the cheapest and least desirable (but I would guess, have
their fair price)
- if I understand things correctly, both Group Industries and Vectors were built from the
start as FA SMG's; is there a big difference between the two?  If so, how much $$-wise?
- Also-- UZI parts kits can be had pretty economically nowadays (minus barrel/receiver); can
I purchase one of these and use for spare parts?  (esp. the FA bolt)
- anything else I should know?

Thanks,
SD

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:41:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Group Industries was the US company that copied the IMI Uzi Model B.  They ran into financial trouble and were bought out by what came to be known as Vector Arms.  Vector bought tooling, receivers, etc.  So, I'd think they are pretty much the same, but I haven't handled either.

I own an IMI that was imported Action Arms.  It runs great.  Vector and GI's seem to be the most popular though.  I just wanted a registered receiver gun and found the IMI local that was a 1 owner gun from the mid-80s.  Once I fondled it, the search was over.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Both of my SMGs were/are Vector guns.  I sold the full size and kept the Mini.  Both great guns. I had 0 trouble with either.  .22 kit in the full size ran GREAT.

current "Pimp" Mini UZI
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Greetings,

Looking at getting an UZI as a first MG.  I've already looked around
(online) a bit, and reasons that I like this platform include--
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']
- good price point for me (call it ~$11K-13K, with some wiggle room)
- looking for an actual "shooter" >> collector piece
- can shoot  9 mm on most ranges (and I have a local range that allows full auto)
- suppresses pretty well (better than rifle calibers, anyway)
- seems to be a good supply of spare parts... if you buy the right conversion, anyway.
But, there still seem to be a number of variations, even among legally-registered / transferable
full-auto UZI's:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']
- looks like the "slotted bolt" UZI's are the cheapest and least desirable (but I would guess, have
their fair price)
- if I understand things correctly, both Group Industries and Vectors were built from the
start as FA SMG's; is there a big difference between the two?  If so, how much $$-wise?
- Also-- UZI parts kits can be had pretty economically nowadays (minus barrel/receiver); can
I purchase one of these and use for spare parts?  (esp. the FA bolt)
- anything else I should know?

Thanks,
SD

View Quote

First, I would recommend a registered receiver Uzi for sure.  A far as that goes, it easier to know you are getting exactly what you think you are getting when you get a Vector/Group Uzi.  If you know for sure that an IMI conversion never had a slotted both in it originally, and it was converted 100% to full auto spec, then those are great as well.  I didn't want to deal with the risk, and picked up my Vector for $7720 from David Spiwak at the beginning of 2013.

Your other questions...

-Slotted Uzis are either a registered bolt so it can be used in other guns, or the receiver itself is registered.  If the receiver is registered, it sucks, b/c you can't even put the bolt in other guns, nor can you replace the bolt or swap it for 45 and 22 bolts.  I wouldn't bother buying a slotted bolt gun when another $1000 can buy you a proper receiver gun.  If you see a slot in the bolt, just walk away.  You are already spending $10k+.....get what you want.

-Yes, Uzi parts are nice and cheap.  You can have all of the spare parts and use them as needed.  Although it takes a while for anything to wear out on these guns.

For inspiration...
Uzi Video

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, I'd say take a walk (figuratively) over to Uzitalk.com and go through the Reference Library and Uzi forums.

Another plus to the 9 mm Uzi is that 25 and 32 round mags are plentiful and cheap.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

Full disclosure - I have a full size FA Vector Uzi (second owner).
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Greetings,

Thanks for all of the input thus far.   One thing that (for me) makes
machineguns (of the transferrable type) so hard to understand is that
most of them were "modified" (from semi)  over 25 years ago... and the
people / company that did the modifications are often long gone... and trying
to understand all the (expensive) HK hammer packs makes my head
spin... LoL...   but I digress.

Vector bought tooling, receivers, etc. So, I'd think they are pretty much the same, but I haven't handled either
View Quote

One forum (for whatever that means) said that the Vector receivers were
"hardened" better than the stock GI receivers; but for practical purposes, it
looks like either will work fine for me.  I just want something that's as well-built
as possible, with lots of spare parts around.  (which is the case, as long as I
can drop in original UZI parts)

picked up my Vector for $7720 from David Spiwak at the beginning of 2013
View Quote

Your video link is pretty cool-- is that the TM SG suppressor you're using?

I took a look at Spiwak's web site; no UZI's near the price you listed at this
time.  He has a "registered bolt" gun for $11K, and Vector/GI copies for
$13Kish-- are these fair prices for the current environment?

Thanks!
SD

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Another plus to the 9 mm Uzi is that 25 and 32 round mags are plentiful and cheap
View Quote

Yeah, you can find those things all over the place.  I believe that both the
Israelis and Germans are dumping their UZI's as surplus right now (and they
had a LOT of them!).

I didn't mention it before, but I already have a Mini-UZI SBR (semi), and being able to
share some accessories with it (esp. mags) is another factor that makes this platform a logical
choice for me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Greetings,

looks like either will work fine for me.  I just want something that's as well-built

Thanks!
SD

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Greetings,

Vector bought tooling, receivers, etc. So, I'd think they are pretty much the same, but I haven't handled either

picked up my Vector for $7720 from David Spiwak at the beginning of 2013

Thanks!
SD

Yes it's a TM suppressor.  Unfortunately the MG that raised the most in price after Sandy Hook was the Uzi.  I bought that one, then thought, "That's cheap for what it is.  I'll get a second for shits" Went to look and the price had almost doubled.  If David has something priced a certain way, it's usually fair.  He's got the best pricing IMO of all the online machine gun dealers.  I just bought an amnesty MP44 for $16,000 in great shape and all matching from him, while other dealers have similar listed for $20k+.  Also just bought an MG34 excellent and all matching pre dealer sample for only $11k.  His pricing is good to go.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You can find an IMI registered receiver without blocking bar for $10-11,000 right now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
You can find an IMI registered receiver without blocking bar for $10-11,000 right now
View Quote

Link?  The only ones I've seen in this price range are of the "slotted bolt" type.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Link?  The only ones I've seen in this price range are of the "slotted bolt" type.
View Quote

Those likely won't be factory mgs at that price, likely - just converted semi model a or model b, but a more "proper" conversion done by removing the blocking bar from a semi receiver.  

These guns could be anywhere from properly, fully converted - meaning trunion reamed to SMG spec, restrictor ring removed, sear slots modified in the receiver and grip boss shimmed to take unmodified full auto fcg/grip assemblies, to as little as having the blocking bar removed, and requiring modifications to FA grip groups, modifications to FA bolts to fit the restrictor ring, and still using semi-spec barrels.

Still better than a married slotted bolt receiver conversion, though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can find an IMI registered receiver without blocking bar for $10-11,000 right now.
View Quote

I bought my IMI fully converted (no blocking bar/ no restrictor ring) from David Spiwak as well for $7450.00 in the spring of 2012. I found that he is usually $500 to $1000 or more cheaper than the other "big guys" selling comparable full auto stuff. His inventory changes pretty regularly. If you just cant wait, Rubin Mendola will have what you want. You will pay top dollar though. Keep looking and what you want will eventually show up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a registered BG bolt UZI in an IMI Model A host.  I got a great deal on it, so if you find a deal on one I would say go for it.  The good news is you won't be tempted to buy a .22 kit!

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Just so I'm clear on this, there are no imported original Uzi factory transferrable machineguns, are there?  They were either imported semi and converted or US built as a factory gun?  Figured the GCA or something would have prevented importing of factory mgs from outside the US.

Or am I completely off base here?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just so I'm clear on this, there are no imported original Uzi factory transferrable machineguns, are there?  They were either imported semi and converted or US built as a factory gun?  Figured the GCA or something would have prevented importing of factory mgs from outside the US.

View Quote

There's a few pre-68 (Gun Control Act) imports that are fully transferable, supposedly - I've never seen one for sale, but they are Uber rare and priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There's a few pre-68 (Gun Control Act) imports that are fully transferable, supposedly - I've never seen one for sale, but they are Uber rare and priced accordingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured that might be the deal.  Was just curious, carry on all
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Dupe
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are six of them supposedly.  I have an advertisement for one in 1988 in a catalogue.  The price is listed as "EXPENSIVE"  Looking at the mint 21 Thompsons for sale that are also listed at "EXPENSIVE" "$3,000", though, I'm gonna guess the Uzi was about the same.  Pricey for the time, a steal now.  One of those would bring $30k now I bet.  I'd pay it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks all-- after reading through your replies and doing some more looking around, I
think I'm going for a Group/Vector model... I'm not super-concerned with getting
a rock bottom price, just a fair price on a reliable gun that will last (with reasonable use!).

So that brings up the issue of mags and parts-- one of the reasons I selected the UZI
platform in the first place.  Parts seem to be readily available, from any  number of sources--

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/UZI-c22.htm
http://www.dsarms.com/c-725-uzi-parts-accessories.aspx
http://www.danddsales.com/
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/uzi-replacement-barrels/
http://www.uziparts.com/
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1249730.htm
http://www.usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=21
etc...
Can anyone suggest a list of "must have" items?  I've seen the UZI called the "AK47 of subguns" so
I'm guessing there shouldn't be a whole lot of breakages with proper care.

Look forward to your replies-- thanks.

- - - - - -

ETA - any suggestions on a good UZI suppressor?  I've seen the TM-SG1 in the video up the thread; and, I have
a Mystic with the UZI mount... just wondering if there's anything better for this platform in full-auto

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Best suppressor in my opinion is bowers cac 9. It locks up just like the barrel nut on the Uzi. You can also change adapters and put it on a number of guns. I have a Thompson Uzi can as well and it is nice. Cac 9 locks up better. If I could only have 1 it would be bowers.

RTG parts is the place to go for parts.

Don't be afraid to buy a rr imi without the blocking bar. You can always send it to Richard at Bwe to get him to bring it to full smg specs. When you get it back it will be better than new.

Don't buy a bolt. Whatever you do get a rr without a blocking bar.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Passed on a transferable factory FN Herstal Uzi back in the late 1990s. Just wasn't into Uzis at the time, but now that I know how rare it was, I wish I hadn't.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Passed on a transferable factory FN Herstal Uzi back in the late 1990s. Just wasn't into Uzis at the time, but now that I know how rare it was, I wish I hadn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn :(
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I love my Thompson can.

I picked up a spare bolt, top cover, and recoil assembly, and a shorter 8.5" barrel from BWE cause it looks awesome.  It can't hurt to have spare parts even if I'll probably never need them.  Bought 20 25 round mags and 20 32 round mags for $300 too.  Stack deep as they say.

The best thing I did was have the gun mailed off to BWE for them to do a once over on it and install the semi auto feed ramp on it and refinish it while I was waiting on the gun to transfer to me from my dealer (This was before I was an FFL/SOT).  The cost was very fair, and the gun is now perfect, runs perfect with any ammo, and looks perfect, and his work took only a couple weeks longer then the ATF wait time, so it was almost as if I didn't even mail it off.

Once again, I highly recommend contacting David Spiwak.  Tell him Michael Huddleston told you about him.  I've bought tons of stuff from him, and seriously can't think of a better and more cost friendly big time machine gun dealer.  He has always got new stuff going in and out, and he will even contact you to let you know he has something that you were looking for if you ask him to do so, and he will do layaway if you need it.

Good luck with the hunt, and enjoy the Uzi when you get it.  I know you will!

Quoted:
Thanks all-- after reading through your replies and doing some more looking around, I
think I'm going for a Group/Vector model... I'm not super-concerned with getting
a rock bottom price, just a fair price on a reliable gun that will last (with reasonable use!).

So that brings up the issue of mags and parts-- one of the reasons I selected the UZI
platform in the first place.  Parts seem to be readily available, from any  number of sources--

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/UZI-c22.htm
http://www.dsarms.com/c-725-uzi-parts-accessories.aspx
http://www.danddsales.com/
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/uzi-replacement-barrels/
http://www.uziparts.com/
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1249730.htm
http://www.usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=21
etc...
Can anyone suggest a list of "must have" items?  I've seen the UZI called the "AK47 of subguns" so
I'm guessing there shouldn't be a whole lot of breakages with proper care.

Look forward to your replies-- thanks.

- - - - - -

ETA - any suggestions on a good UZI suppressor?  I've seen the TM-SG1 in the video up the thread; and, I have
a Mystic with the UZI mount... just wondering if there's anything better for this platform in full-auto

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Uzitalk.com is a great resource for information.

Have you considered a M11/Nine with the Lage uppers? Using the Lage parts, you could shoot 72 round Suomi drums, 50 round coffin mags, and regular stick mags. The Macs by themselves are pretty junky, but the Lage MFG uppers make them shine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, there was an oroginal IMI transferable about a year ago that sold for something just under $30K.  At that pricing, an IMI conversion or a Group/Vector is just fine for me.  I bought a barely used full size Vector (from an individual, the first owner, not a Dealer) back in '07.  Shoots everything except Rem UMC and weak reloads.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue, and whomever you get it from.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Have you considered a M11/Nine with the Lage uppers? Using the Lage parts, you could shoot 72 round Suomi drums,
50 round coffin mags, and regular stick mags. The Macs by themselves are pretty junky, but the Lage MFG uppers
make them shine.
View Quote

I did look at some MAC / Cobray / SWD / etc. type weapons briefly...  The
big advantage from the start being the lower cost.

However, at my current state of knowledge, it seemed a lot harder to "know" what
one is getting.  And, mags are more of an issue (vs. a virtual "glut" of UZI mags
currently on the market).

I may look at MACs down the road, although, I have some vague notion that
an "M16-type" weapon will be my next FA purchase... (hopefully more on this
later).

Thanks,
SD
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

However, at my current state of knowledge, it seemed a lot harder to "know" what
one is getting.  And, mags are more of an issue (vs. a virtual "glut" of UZI mags

later).

Thanks,
SD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Have you considered a M11/Nine with the Lage uppers? Using the Lage parts, you could shoot 72 round Suomi drums,
50 round coffin mags, and regular stick mags. The Macs by themselves are pretty junky, but the Lage MFG uppers
make them shine.

later).

Thanks,
SD

SD, If you'd be happy with an Uzi, the mac you'd want would be a M11/Nine (only one type of this mac was ever made). Adding the Lage MFG parts (including competition trigger) really makes this option shine. In fact, the Max-31 upper equipped M11/Nine subguns have been beating all comers at the knob creek national subgun matches. Even an out of spec gun is readily fixed and refinished, so no need to "know" what you are getting. That being said, the vast majority of M11/Nines work without problems. Regarding mags, shockwave technologies are making a new mag (30 and 50 rounders) that is proving to work beautifully and is high-quality. Nothing wrong with Uzi's (I have a couple), but given a choice between the two, I'd rather have a M11/Nine and a Max-31 and Max-11 upper with the Lage MFG internal parts.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I have both an Uzi and an M11A1 MAC with an aftermarket upper that takes Suomi mags.  I really have difficulties determining which one I like more.  The Uzi is a classic, but the MAC is much more flexible (and cheaper!).  The use of Suomi mags drives around the MAC mag issue, but Shockwave Technologies has fixed that as well.

You really can't go wrong with either.  The Uzi costs more and has appreciated at a faster rate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Forget about all the temptation and just stick with Vector UZI or other RR w/o blocking bar.
You will be much happier in a long run.  
Just to let you know, I've numerous machineguns including MP5K, M11, RDIAS, LL, etc.
However, my Vector Uzi is the only machinegun that doesn't need any tweaking.
It works ultra reliably in both 9mm & .22.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Forget about all the temptation and just stick with Vector UZI or other RR w/o blocking bar.
You will be much happier in a long run.
Just to let you know, I've numerous machineguns including MP5K, M11, RDIAS, LL, etc.
However, my Vector Uzi is the only machinegun that doesn't need any tweaking.
It works ultra reliably in both 9mm & .22.
View Quote

Thanks for all the input; based on the info collected (here, and elsewhere), I've already gone on
and initiated the purchase of a Vector UZI.

You mention the .22 conversion, and that's certainly something that I'll be looking at eventually
(shoot more for less $$$'s).  However, based on a fair amount of life experience with semi-auto
.22's (e.g., Rugers, Marlins, etc.) I know they can be a bit finicky to keep from jamming... and I would
assume that FA would only exacerbate the problem.  Any tips/suggestions in this
regard?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You mention the .22 conversion, and that's certainly something that I'll be looking at eventually
(shoot more for less $$$'s).  
View Quote

Based on the reason you give (cost), just walk away.  Anybody who buys a 22lr conversion kit for a pistol caliber weapon "to shoot cheaply" is seriously deluding themselves.  Between the cost of the conversion and mags, you'll easily spend in the neighborhood of $800 before you start "saving money".  You can get over 3000 rounds of loaded 9mm delivered to your door for that.  Far, far more in components if you reload.  If you walk away now, you'll also save yourself the frustration of tweaking the kit and dealing with that crap.

If you have a different reason, or really do shoot a boat load, then keep going.  Don't do it for cost on general principles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Based on the reason you give (cost), just walk away.  Anybody who buys a 22lr conversion kit for a pistol caliber weapon "to shoot cheaply" is seriously deluding themselves.  Between the cost of the conversion and mags, you'll easily spend in the neighborhood of $800 before you start "saving money".  You can get over 3000 rounds of loaded 9mm delivered to your door for that.  Far, far more in components if you reload.  If you walk away now, you'll also save yourself the frustration of tweaking the kit and dealing with that crap.

If you have a different reason, or really do shoot a boat load, then keep going.  Don't do it for cost on general principles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(shoot more for less $$$'s).  

Meh, yes and no.  If he ever sells, he can recuperate some of the costs associated with the conversion.  Even if it's half back, that's still a few hundred.  Gotta throw that into the mix if you're gonna make those sorts of comparative arguments
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Meh, yes and no.  If he ever sells, he can recuperate some of the costs associated with the conversion.  Even if it's half back, that's still a few hundred.  Gotta throw that into the mix if you're gonna make those sorts of comparative arguments
View Quote

True enough, but if you're going to do that full financial comparison, let's go all the way.  The short term benefit (where most of the shooting happens) of recovering a few hundred bucks some time in the future diminishes with time and interest rates.

I fell for the "let's shoot cheap" argument on my Uzi and kick myself every time I look at that kit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

True enough, but if you're going to do that full financial comparison, let's go all the way.  The short term benefit (where most of the shooting happens) of recovering a few hundred bucks some time in the future diminishes with time and interest rates.

I fell for the "let's shoot cheap" argument on my Uzi and kick myself every time I look at that kit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see I'm not the only one.  I've shot my Uzi two times with the 22lr kit.  Put it in the back of one of the safes, and have never looked at the kit since.  9mm all the way!  

You never know though, with the way gun laws are passed.  One day conversion kits for full autos may become grandfathered.  Then it'll be worth $10,000 in 20 years and I'll cash in! lol.  Beats my gold coins as of late
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I see I'm not the only one.  I've shot my Uzi two times with the 22lr kit.  Put it in the back of one of the safes, and have never looked at the kit since.  9mm all the way!
View Quote

Nope, far from the only one.  The only MG I regularly shoot with a 22 conversion is a registered receiver AR.

ETA though I have lusted after a 1919 22 conversion for years...
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top