Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2014 1:48:19 AM EDT
10/9 Update - The price was just changed to $17,500 for me.
I have first dibs on this all original, and all matching 1943 MP40, and I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger, but I'm just not sure what to look for.  Any help from the experts is appreciated.

Here is what is included with it

-6 1943 mags
-2 1943 mag pouches
-Correct Nazi loader
-Slightly comical letter about how the soldier got it, brought it back, and gave it to his toddler son (good old days). He sounds like he was a great and funny man.  Sadly he passed away a while back.

I like history, hence why I buy C&R guns, and not rewats or tube guns, and the letter is neat, and magazines all dated 1943, but really my main thing of interest  is the gun PERIOD.

Couple things I have noticed, questions for you experts, and things to look at.

-That spot near the magazine button.  Is that a repair? Bad / good?
-That spot under and in front of the mag well.  Is that a normal dent?  What could it be?  Problem?
-To bring it home, he had to tap a bolt into the end of the barrel.  He then had a great gunsmith remove the 1/2" of threads from inside the barrel, and re crowned it about 1/2" back into the barrel.  Shoots perfect, and has a very low round count.  Big problem?  Common?  Who cares since it is a low count matching barrel?

That's really it.  Thanks for your help guys.  I really do appreciate it!  I'm pretty much ready to buy this gun, but just want to see what you experts think, and if it's a bad buy, good buy, or GREAT buy!  Thank you!

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice gun, but the price is way high.  Ruben Mendiola has two C&R MP40s on the Subguns NFA ad board right now for $17k and he's always at the very top of the market on his prices.  Not slamming him- he sells good stuff and has an absolute sterling reputation, but if he thinks they're worth 17, then that's what the market price is and just from a quick examination of his pictures, his guns don't appear to have the flaws you note in your post on the gun you are looking at.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice gun, but the price is way high.  Ruben Mendiola has two C&R MP40s on the Subguns NFA ad board right now for $17k and he's always at the very top of the market on his prices.  Not slamming him- he sells good stuff and has an absolute sterling reputation, but if he thinks they're worth 17, then that's what the market price is and just from a quick examination of his pictures, his guns don't appear to have the flaws you note in your post on the gun you are looking at.

YMMV
View Quote

Thanks. Problem is that Rubens guns are non matching, and he believes refinished. That changes a lot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Over priced IMO, probably can get it for $12-15k depending on matching parts, condition, accessories etc... I would try and talk the guy down a couple thousand dollars, if you are buying in person from a friend or someone you know remind them you are saving them time and hassle of having to selling it online, plus the savings of the 10% or w/e the fee the middle man seller would take.

Here is the current market price
http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/german_subguns_5.html
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
We just spoke, and he decided $17,500 would be good. Looks like I'm buying it :)

Quoted:

Spartikis, the chart you reference is for tube guns -- MP40s which came in as parts kits and were built up on tubes of varying quality, and registered here.

The chart for MP40 C&R guns is here: http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/german_subguns_6.html

It lists the average at $17k or so. But most C&R MGs available today are either refinished or SN mixmasters -- an original finish, matching-number C&R MG commands a premium.

In addition, MP40s have been very popular with reenactors, who bought 'em cheap decades ago blanked them, beat the living crap out of them and often refinished them regularly. This one apparently escaped that fate, and that makes it more rare and valuable. (Reminds me of when folks were buying NIB M16A2s back around Y2K for $5k, then cerecoting them black to match their new accessories. Sigh.)

The flaws do not look serious to me. The gun is 71 years old, been through a war, then dragged to another continent in a duffle bag. I hope I look that good when I hit 71 ...

Does it have the original capture papers with it? If not, are you buying from the estate of the GI? An FOIA request would be fascinating. I know, buy the gun, not the story ... but in my experience, while the market may not add much value to such documentation, individual collectors do love it.

So $19k may be top price ... but it's a great example, judging from the pix and info you give.

You can't pay too much for a machine gun; you can only pay it too soon.

Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over priced IMO, probably can get it for $12-15k depending on matching parts, condition, accessories etc... I would try and talk the guy down a couple thousand dollars, if you are buying in person from a friend or someone you know remind them you are saving them time and hassle of having to selling it online, plus the savings of the 10% or w/e the fee the middle man seller would take.

Spartikis, the chart you reference is for tube guns -- MP40s which came in as parts kits and were built up on tubes of varying quality, and registered here.

The chart for MP40 C&R guns is here: http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/german_subguns_6.html

It lists the average at $17k or so. But most C&R MGs available today are either refinished or SN mixmasters -- an original finish, matching-number C&R MG commands a premium.

In addition, MP40s have been very popular with reenactors, who bought 'em cheap decades ago blanked them, beat the living crap out of them and often refinished them regularly. This one apparently escaped that fate, and that makes it more rare and valuable. (Reminds me of when folks were buying NIB M16A2s back around Y2K for $5k, then cerecoting them black to match their new accessories. Sigh.)

The flaws do not look serious to me. The gun is 71 years old, been through a war, then dragged to another continent in a duffle bag. I hope I look that good when I hit 71 ...

Does it have the original capture papers with it? If not, are you buying from the estate of the GI? An FOIA request would be fascinating. I know, buy the gun, not the story ... but in my experience, while the market may not add much value to such documentation, individual collectors do love it.

So $19k may be top price ... but it's a great example, judging from the pix and info you give.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Congrats! If/when I get up to Texas, I'll be begging to dump a mag or two through it ...
View Quote

Gladly.  I'm an SOT now, so I should get it pretty quick too :)
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a very nice gun and a good price is one you can both live with.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It looks like there is a hole drilled thru the receiver......below the ejection port, and in the same location on the (L) side......that shouldn't be there.....

the "dents" you refer to are where the tube was crimped over the trunion......100% proper
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We just spoke, and he decided $17,500 would be good. Looks like I'm buying it :)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Your Mileage May Vary.

My mistake, I'm not familiar with the variations of German sub guns. Congrats on the purchase! Looks like it would be a fun gun
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice. $17,500 is a good price for that gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It looks like there is a hole drilled thru the receiver......below the ejection port, and in the same location on the (L) side......that shouldn't be there.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/011_zps68450157.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/007_zps6ae6d2ae.jpg

the "dents" you refer to are where the tube was crimped over the trunion......100% proper
View Quote

What could that be from you think?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I passed on this gun after all, so if anyone is interested, it is on gunbroker now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top