Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 12:57:59 AM EDT
I'm looking to pick up spare Russian arts for my PPSH-41, and I can't find shit.  I'm really interested in the working parts (Barrel, bolt, recoil rod and spring).  Anyone know of any good shops?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Finding actual Russian parts is going to be very hard. There were several other countries Ppsh 41 guns (usually Hungarian and Polish) that have been imported over the years.

You need to find out which kits come closest to the Russian design.

Most of the differences involve the barrel retaining pin area, rear sight, and trunion spacing.

My gun was a Chinese POS reweld. I had it converted using a Polish kit so it would run and I would have spares. If your gun is a reweld that is not up to shape I can suggest an excellent smith for you.

Hope you are stocked on ammo.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finding actual Russian parts is going to be very hard. There were several other countries Ppsh 41 guns (usually Hungarian and Polish) that have been imported over the years.

You need to find out which kits come closest to the Russian design.

Most of the differences involve the barrel retaining pin area, rear sight, and trunion spacing.

My gun was a Chinese POS reweld. I had it converted using a Polish kit so it would run and I would have spares. If your gun is a reweld that is not up to shape I can suggest an excellent smith for you.

Hope you are stocked on ammo.
View Quote

Thanks.  

I scored a never used old stock Russian PPSH41 barrel, so I got very lucky, and found Russian bolts for very cheap.  I just can not find that damn recoil rod and spring anywhere.  It doesn't even need to be Russian.  I just want a strong spare one.

My gun is a WW2 bring back, so I'm not getting it restored.  I just want to make sure it runs for a long long time :)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I would buy a parts kit ($169 on GB) and keep what you need and sell the rest out as spares on GB.

BTW don't expect drums to work in your gun until they have been tuned to it. I bought 20 drums for my gun and only got 10 that would work well ONCE I tuned them. Two of them would not hold tension enough to work at all. Sold the others off that my gun did not like. If you need help on tuning them I can tell you how to do it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would buy a parts kit ($169 on GB) and keep what you need and sell the rest out as spares on GB.

BTW don't expect drums to work in your gun until they have been tuned to it. I bought 20 drums for my gun and only got 10 that would work well ONCE I tuned them. Two of them would not hold tension enough to work at all. Sold the others off that my gun did not like. If you need help on tuning them I can tell you how to do it.
View Quote

Weird.  Both of my drums run on the gun just fine.  I did order more though just to have, so if those don't run, I will definitely be contacting you.  Thanks for your help.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a 1944 Russian Ppsh41. The barrel was trash so  I recently changed out the barrel and bolt with ones from a post war Polish kit. I replaced the original bolt with the Polish one just in case there may have been a problem with head spacing. Even though the Polish   Ppsh uses the 2 piece hinge pin, it's barrel fit the original 1 piece pin. I shot 3 drums out of my Ppsh with no problems. Also Aim surplus is now stocking Red Army Standard 7.62x25. Romanian made, it's lead core, poly coated steel case. $16.95 per 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I own a 1944 Russian Ppsh41. The barrel was trash so  I recently changed out the barrel and bolt with ones from a post war Polish kit. I replaced the original bolt with the Polish one just in case there may have been a problem with head spacing. Even though the Polish   Ppsh uses the 2 piece hinge pin, it's barrel fit the original 1 piece pin. I shot 3 drums out of my Ppsh with no problems. Also Aim surplus is now stocking Red Army Standard 7.62x25. Romanian made, it's lead core, poly coated steel case. $16.95 per 50 rounds.
View Quote

Thank you.  I got really finding the Russian barrel, but it's good to know the Polish stuff can fit too.

I have and shoot only brass S&B, but wow that Red Army ammo is a lot cheaper.  You have any problems with the steel cases or anything else in the PPSH?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not shot the Red Army brand stuff yet, just got the e-mail from Aim today. But, I have shot just about every type of 7.62x25 through it though. Never had a problem with any country's ammo. My favorite is the Yugoslavian in 70 round white cardboard boxes. But that stuff is stupid expensive now. Some ammo is hotter than others. You can tell by the cyclic rate. I prefer the 35 round mags, it makes the ammo last longer. For parts, you can still find Hungarian & Polish kits with barrels on Gunbroker for around $170.00. Some body on there has a Russian barrel from the Ukraine for $350.00      http://www.ppsh41.com is a good site for information. Plus he has some cool Ppsh videos.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've only shot surplus Rommy through mine. Luckily bought 11 case of the stuff while is was I think $60/case.

Never tried the stick mags in mine even though I keep meaning to but I always end up loading the drums up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have not shot the Red Army brand stuff yet, just got the e-mail from Aim today. But, I have shot just about every type of 7.62x25 through it though. Never had a problem with any country's ammo. My favorite is the Yugoslavian in 70 round white cardboard boxes. But that stuff is stupid expensive now. Some ammo is hotter than others. You can tell by the cyclic rate. I prefer the 35 round mags, it makes the ammo last longer. For parts, you can still find Hungarian & Polish kits with barrels on Gunbroker for around $170.00. Some body on there has a Russian barrel from the Ukraine for $350.00      http://www.ppsh41.com is a good site for information. Plus he has some cool Ppsh videos.
View Quote

I only own drums.  I'd like some mags, but am really picky.  It's an all matching Russian WW2 bring back with the amnesty papers, so I'm picky and only want Russian stuff for it, including mags.  Any good places?  Or have any spares? :)
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck on Russian stick mags. I haven't seen any since the 1980's. And since some bastard broke into my truck years ago, I don't have any. All I have seen lately are Polish & Hungarian. The Russian type will be ribbed. My Polish ones are smooth sided. Best bet is Shotgun News and start checking dealer adds. Otherwise see if you can find any Russian WW2 re-enactor units. You might get lucky and someone my have a source. There are a couple in Texas, but I have been out of the loop for years. If you're really willing to roll the dice, contact some of the Ukrainian sellers of Ppsh parts on Gunbroker and see if they can find some. If so, have them send them in 2 shipments. Mag bodies in one and guts in another to lessen the chance customs will intercept them.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#11]
try the EE on weaponsguild
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Will this help you out? PM me if interested.
PPSH41 parts

recoil rod assembly, buffer, oil bottle

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, one more questions....is there a shop that knows how to fix and fit a Russian PPSH-41 barrel?  I know it's kind of a "specialty" gun.  

I bought a brand new Russian PPSH-41 barrel, but the pivot pin notch was opened up a hair too much by the previous owner, so when I installed it today it, the pin slid right in, which is great, but if you tap the front of the barrel hard as if you were removing it (but the pin is actually still in place), the barrel will actually move back around 1/2 a millimeter.  I assume this is not ok, since moving barrels in any gun is not good.  I need someone to fill in the pin notch, then re machine it out.  Money is not an issue, I just want it done right, so it can be mailed back to me, and I can install it.  Besides that pin notch, it is an unfired Russian barrel, so I want to use it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Will this help you out? PM me if interested.PPSH41 parts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/ppsh41_zps9417951c.jpg

View Quote

Sure, as long as the recoil rod is strong enough to push rounds out of a fully loaded drum mag, unlike mine.  I have to load my mags with only 50 rounds if I want 100% function.

Video of it functioning :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sure, as long as the recoil rod is strong enough to push rounds out of a fully loaded drum mag, unlike mine.  I have to load my mags with only 50 rounds if I want 100% function.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will this help you out? PM me if interested.PPSH41 parts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/ppsh41_zps9417951c.jpg

Don't have anyway to test. These parts came from a like new kit.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Ok, one more questions....is there a shop that knows how to fix and fit a Russian PPSH-41 barrel?  I know it's kind of a "specialty" gun.  
I bought a brand new Russian PPSH-41 barrel, but the pivot pin notch was opened up a hair too much by the previous owner, so when I installed it today it, the pin slid right in, which is great, but if you tap the front of the barrel hard as if you were removing it (but the pin is actually still in place), the barrel will actually move back around 1/2 a millimeter.  I assume this is not ok, since moving barrels in any gun is not good.  I need someone to fill in the pin notch, then re machine it out.  Money is not an issue, I just want it done right, so it can be mailed back to me, and I can install it.  Besides that pin notch, it is an unfired Russian barrel, so I want to use it.
View Quote
I can send you info on the smith that did mine but you should be able to get a good enough one locally. What part of Texas are you in?
As for the barrel, you just invert the barrel and cut a new notch. No reason to weld up the old one. Ppsh guns even from the same country are all over the place as far as tolerances. There are often many different factories in the same country and the quality control between them was awful.
As for you not being able to fully load your drum, its not your recoil spring but your drum needs to have its spring tuned which is not too hard.
You can see my Ppsh in this video

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can send you info on the smith that did mine but you should be able to get a good enough one locally. What part of Texas are you in?

As for the barrel, you just invert the barrel and cut a new notch. No reason to weld up the old one. Ppsh guns even from the same country are all over the place as far as tolerances. There are often many different factories in the same country and the quality control between them was awful.

As for you not being able to fully load your drum, its not your recoil spring but your drum needs to have its spring tuned which is not too hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyIiFOuc7z4&feature=youtu.be

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't even think about just putting the notch on the other side.  Thank you!  I am near DFW, Texas if you know anyone who can help.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I didn't even think about just putting the notch on the other side.  Thank you!  I am near DFW, Texas if you know anyone who can help.

Thanks,

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Mike
Houston area I could have recommended a smith that could do it or even Austin but I don't know any good smiths in DFW. The guy that did mine does work for Ohio Ord and post over on Subguns.com and several other NFA boards as FrankAMA.

I would back off the tension of your drum a bit and it might work fully loaded. Ppsh41.com has the method for adjust the drums tension.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Houston area I could have recommended a smith that could do it or even Austin but I don't know any good smiths in DFW. The guy that did mine does work for Ohio Ord and post over on Subguns.com and several other NFA boards as FrankAMA.

I would back off the tension of your drum a bit and it might work fully loaded. Ppsh41.com has the method for adjust the drums tension.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mike

I can drive down to Houston or Austin.  Send me their info if you don't mind.  

Thanks for the tip for the drum spring.  I adjusted mine where they need to be now.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#20]
In the Austin area go with Skot Ingram. I lost his e-mail but his face book page is https://www.facebook.com/skot.ingram

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top