Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 5:48:00 PM EDT
Just doing some early research but a close-to-authentic Krinkov clone is probably going to be my next SBR.

I understand that the trunnion is solid and can be drilled without unriviting it from the receiver.  Does anyone have exact drawings of what needs to be drilled?

I understand that that some early imported PAPs have a serial number at the back of the receiver that is not impacted by the drilling but is covered by the stock hinge.  I assume that this is no more of an issue than it is with aftermarket revolver grips (and some factory S&W grips), millions of break open shotguns with the serial number on the water table, etc.  However, it appears that the serial number has been moved to the front of the receiver in recent months and I would try to get one of those guns to avoid the question.

922r is a big open question for Title II with letters saying it is OK for intact guns not made from parts but some disagreeing.  Let's say for the sake of argument, I wanted to follow 922r whether it applies or not.  What needs to be changed on the M92 PAP?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
As for 922r, the low hanging fruit is hammer/trigger/sear, gas piston and magazine.  That's seven parts right there.  Next from there, muzzle attachment, grip and handguard.

I might guess that by going with an underfolder you are looking for 'authentic', but if you haven't used one, they are not great stocks.  If 'authentic' doesn't matter, there are much much more comfortable/practical/useful options out there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the authentic look in mind.  What's wrong with the underfolder?  Width at shoulder?  Cheek Weld?

Mike

PS.  I'm persuadable to go the other "authentic-looking" option of a AKS-74U style triangle left-side folder.  That, a US made muzzle device, and a $29 trigger group would get me to 11 922r parts--only one to go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Both underfolders and triangle type side folders require quite a bit of machining, you better be experienced and have the right equipment. I've done several of the M92 pistol to underfolder SBR conversions, not what I'd call a simple project.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I went with the mantacore ma-5100 triangle stock and stormworkz hinge. Probably the closest to a Bulgarian side folder without all the effort!  I easily drilled my rear trunium with a hand drill and vise to attach the mechanism.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Did the 7 degree angle on the back result in a good cheek weld and sight position?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did the 7 degree angle on the back result in a good cheek weld and sight position?

Mike
View Quote

Turned out perfectly!! I could not have been happier with the look and feel of it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll likely go that route.  Do you have a pic?

Thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll likely go that route.  Do you have a pic?

Thanks, Mike
View Quote

In pre-SBR form

Dunno if pic will work, from my phone/mobile photobucket
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had the authentic look in mind.  What's wrong with the underfolder?  
View Quote

I wasn't aware that underfolder and "authentic" went together on an AKS-74U (Krinkov).  I wouldn't consider myself an AK expert by any means, but I haven't seen that combo an an authentic Krink.  Please educate me if I'm wrong.

Oh yeah - try shooting an underfolder before you invest a lot of time / money in one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:02:07 AM EDT
[#10]
My understanding is that Krinkov is an Afghan (and not at all Russian) nickname for the AK-74U that in the US has come to mean any AK-type SBR with a folding stock and a muzzle booster (the most common being the M92 and M85).

Of course the M92 is not 5.45x39 either!

I'm beginning to think that the Bulgarian left-side folder will look better with a Bulgarian 4-peice booster which unlike the Russian/Yugoslavian one, is actually an excellent flash suppressor too.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I SBR'd a SLR UR 106 ( 5.56) gun. It had the 16" extended barrel and left side full folding stock. I replaced the full stock with triangle, which was just a couple of screws and required no fitting. After approval cut the barrel down. I left about 7/8" on after the front sight base and threaded it 1/2x28". I then added a thread protector  to the threaded extension and slipped a Russian muzzle booster over it. I would rather have a Bulgarian but this works fine and looks better than I thought with a AAC 51 T on it. But can still shoot with the booster installed also.
 I have a buddy that is a C2 and he built a PAP 92 into a select fire with a triangle in 7.62, it's a beast. The triangle is much more user friendly and comfy in both calls in my opinion. If you go the triangle route you can get a long barrel as I did and not have to cut the receiver for a latch and mess with a trunion. That in itself will make up the money spent on a SLR plus you get a chrome barrel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm beginning to think that the Bulgarian left-side folder will look better with a Bulgarian 4-peice booster which unlike the Russian/Yugoslavian one, is actually an excellent flash suppressor too.

Mike
View Quote

I have this exact set up.  I will get a pic of it tomorrow...  The Russian term for the short AK is Suchka (little bitch).
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
All you need is a hand drill and a few bits if you take your time

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The side folder is really nice...  It shoulders great and I can get a good cheek weld.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#15]
That is nice!  Which vendor's booster did you go with?  I've found several that make a Bulgarian 4-piece.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]
CNC Warrior  They are on sale for $79 right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:10:20 AM EDT
[#17]
There are two kinds of AK folks; purists, and everyone else.  To the purist, the only correct stock for any AK is the one the commies put on it (the issue stock for that particular rifle).  So the only 'correct' stock for that rifle is the proper underfolder.  The triangle AKSU stock, while correct for a 'Krink', is not correct for an M92 (If you're a purist).  It's a pretty popular conversion, however.

As to what's wrong with the underfolder; the short version would be that they are wide, have a poor cheekweld, and can be a bit floppy.  I personally don't think they are great stocks, but they are historical and 'correct', if that's your thing.  If you want a 'practical shooter', the underfolder probably isn't the best choice IMO.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Get both? Yes, the "correct" stock for the M92 is an underfolding.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Do what this guy did. Either version of the stock They are beautiful rifles. Although if you are using Yugo parts my vote would be for the more correct looking bottom rifle pictured.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware that underfolder and "authentic" went together on an AKS-74U (Krinkov).  I wouldn't consider myself an AK expert by any means, but I haven't seen that combo an an authentic Krink.  Please educate me if I'm wrong.

Oh yeah - try shooting an underfolder before you invest a lot of time / money in one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had the authentic look in mind.  What's wrong with the underfolder?  

My under folder is way more comfortable to shoot that the AWB compliant Maddi wood thumbhole stock was...
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Nice!! I Have two M92 PAPs with approved Form 1's and the underfolder I was probably gonna send off to have done. But maybe I can do it myself and save a few bucks.

The other one will get a Tromix stock.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
If you haven't seen it already, here's a thread I posted in the SBR forum with
pics of my PAP M92 build--

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/426415_My_PAP___M92_SBR_project.html

...it's been a ton of fun to shoot and quite controllable for what it is.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#24]

I love the Manticore Triangle and the Stormwerkz hinge :0

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top