Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 1:18:40 PM EDT
My Google searches haven't really yielded what I'm looking for and other than just putting pieces here and there together, I haven't seen a specific list, so here goes...

Are there specific things I want to check for/look at/ask when buying a MG (most likely a M16, in my case, if I decide to pull the trigger)?  Some things I've gleaned from lots of reading are:

-Call NFA Branch and to ensure the SN is in the registery.  (Can an end-user do this, or does it require FOIA forms and more wait?)
-If possible, check the physical condition of the receiver (weld marks, pin holes, mag fit?)
-Try and be sure of the parts that are coming with the lower.  A 6920 bolted onto a M16A1 probably wouldn't be quite as much as a complete M16A1 carbine or rifle.

Personally, I'm more concerned with the lower, as if it was an original upper, it would probably get wrapped up and put in the safe and I'd just shoot my existing uppers.

I'm sure there are others, so I welcome any thoughts.  I wasn't sure if I should put this in the general NFA section or the M16 section, so sorry if this is in the wrong spot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
After buying machineguns for over a decade my advice at this point is to just buy an M16 from one of the reputable dealers out there and call it a day.  (Unless it a personal friend/family member you know and trust)

Given the pricetags that these items cost, the wait time for the transfer, and the amount of potential online scams out there on subguns or sturm now-a-days... the risk of buying from an individual isnt worth it anymore to save a couple thousand bucks on a $20,000+ item.

The last machinegun I purchased from an individual recently turned into a friggin nightmare and I followed all of my previous offered advice about protecting yourself when buying from an individual (i.e. meeting them in person, inspecting the gun, confirming the F4 was legitimate, signing a mutal sales contract with established timelines and responsibilities.)  

The issue is there are just people out there who own these guns who are fucking nuts and that can turn the most basic process of performing an NFA transfer into a stressful drawn out mess.  Unfortunately,  its not a question of if.... but really just a just a question of when you step on one of these landmine like neurotic current owners who is selling off one of their guns.

If you really want to be sure you can also buy from a reputable dealer and also go visit/inspect the gun in person as well to be extra safe.

Edited to add

-Call NFA Branch and to ensure the SN is in the registery. (Can an end-user do this, or does it require FOIA forms and more wait?)

You cannot confirm any information about the gun from the NFA branch unless you are the current owner.  A FOIA request takes a ton of time and the current owner has to file it, you as the potential future owner cannot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
As stated I wouldn't buy from anyone who wasn't a reputable dealer, to many crazy ppl out there
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you really want to be sure you can also buy from a reputable dealer and also go visit/inspect the gun in person as well to be extra safe.

Edited to add

-Call NFA Branch and to ensure the SN is in the registery. (Can an end-user do this, or does it require FOIA forms and more wait?)

You cannot confirm any information about the gun from the NFA branch unless you are the current owner.  A FOIA request takes a ton of time and the current owner has to file it, you as the potential future owner cannot.
View Quote

Thanks for the replies.  As it turns out, I called NFA branch shortly after writing my post to check on a suppressor (approved the day before I called!) and asked them about looking up an item and was told there was no way to do it.  Seems kind of silly, as there's no way to confirm you don't have a forgery.  I understand the issue about it being under the tax code, but just the simple information that something is registered would seem to be a good thing, since you're already seeing the alleged Form 4.  But, it is what it is...

My thoughts were that I would try to go through a "local" dealer (in FL) so that I could see the item, and from here and elsewhere, I have the usual names.  It just seems that even the more reputable places still have people who say something wasn't 100% right, even if it wasn't intentional by the dealer.  

So given it's best to see/handle the item, anything else to add to my list...besides get spousal buy in?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies.  As it turns out, I called NFA branch shortly after writing my post to check on a suppressor (approved the day before I called!) and asked them about looking up an item and was told there was no way to do it.  Seems kind of silly, as there's no way to confirm you don't have a forgery.  I understand the issue about it being under the tax code, but just the simple information that something is registered would seem to be a good thing, since you're already seeing the alleged Form 4.  But, it is what it is...

My thoughts were that I would try to go through a "local" dealer (in FL) so that I could see the item, and from here and elsewhere, I have the usual names.  It just seems that even the more reputable places still have people who say something wasn't 100% right, even if it wasn't intentional by the dealer.  

So given it's best to see/handle the item, anything else to add to my list...besides get spousal buy in?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited to add

You pretty much have it covered. One thing to remember is that if you buy local you will be hit with sales tax which can be quite expensive on a $20k purchase. IMO it's best to find a rifle from a dealer in a near by state, once you find what you like go home call him up and complete the transaction as an "Internet" type purchase which will be tax free. This will require and extra form 3 or form 4 to be completed and the item must be transferred to a local dealer but dealer to dealer transaction are quick, like 2 ish months but it will save you easily $1,000+
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]

You pretty much have it covered. One thing to remember is that if you buy local you will be hit with sales tax which can be quite expensive on a $20k purchase. IMO it's best to find a rifle from a dealer in a near by state, once you find what you like go home call him up and complete the transaction as an "Internet" type purchase which will be tax free. This will require and extra form 3 or form 4 to be completed and the item must be transferred to a local dealer but dealer to dealer transaction are quick, like 2 ish months but it will save you easily $1,000+
View Quote

I had definitely considered the sales tax, but my major concern with going a Form 3 route is 41P.  I'm not convinced it's going to go down as advertised, but if it does, It would be cutting it pretty close.  Couple that with a couple of reputable dealers nearby (and not many out of state, nearby), I was leaning to instate.

I had originally resigned myself to just not worrying about a MG until after 41P had been finalized/thrown out, but the more I think about it, and the fact that M16 prices seem to have flattened in the short term, well, it has me wondering.  Those "ACR" lowers at Ruben's has me seriously scratching my head (and wallet), I just worry that I don't know enough to make such a big purchase...and so I keep reading on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

As stated I wouldn't buy from anyone who wasn't a reputable dealer, to many crazy ppl out there
View Quote

Lots of good deals on nice guns out there from the individuals who aren't crazy nor dealers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had definitely considered the sales tax, but my major concern with going a Form 3 route is 41P.  I'm not convinced it's going to go down as advertised, but if it does, It would be cutting it pretty close.  Couple that with a couple of reputable dealers nearby (and not many out of state, nearby), I was leaning to instate.

I had originally resigned myself to just not worrying about a MG until after 41P had been finalized/thrown out, but the more I think about it, and the fact that M16 prices seem to have flattened in the short term, well, it has me wondering.  Those "ACR" lowers at Ruben's has me seriously scratching my head (and wallet), I just worry that I don't know enough to make such a big purchase...and so I keep reading on the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't know anyone was still worried about 41P. It's dead in the water as of now, I wouldn't let that sway me one way or another. If you want it, buy it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been screwed by 2 dealers and had to either threaten to turn one into the feds and the other was a 2 year court date wait.  My best advise is to try to pay with a visa (pays the 3% fee) and if they don't have the gun transferred to your dealer in 3 months (check to see what the average form 3 transfer times are.  It use to be lass than 3 months).  Dispute the changes and get your money back.  You can always charge it again if the deal was legit.  

The 2 times I bought from individuals I didn't have a problem with, but after getting screwed twice from the dealers, I would want to try to figure out a way to ensure that my money was being held by a third party until I know the paperwork was completed.  

But I think the best thing you could do is go see the gun and meet the person selling the gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You live in Florida, correct ? I'd recommend dealing with Ruben Mendiola, I now someone who has dealt with him, and there are others on here that also have, very professional and in business for over twenty years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks gents.  I was dangerously close to pulling the trigger on one of Reuben's X serial number A2s, but looks like someone beat me to it.  Right now, the only other thing I'm seeing that's out of FL that's reasonably close is Clyde's, and what they have looks really nice, but a bit too pricey.

I hate playing the "purchase chicken" game with myself, but just want to make sure I'm dotting all my i's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I strongly recommend that you look at the gun or have a knowledgable friend who lives near the dealer look at it for you before you buy.  With the cost of almost all machine guns now, the trip can save you a lot of grief.

Also, in MI as well as several other states, any Internet purchase over $1000 is subject to the state income tax.  Check your state's laws cause if you don't pay it on time, you can be hit by a nice penalty interest on top of the tax.

Best of luck with your quest.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks gents.  I was dangerously close to pulling the trigger on one of Reuben's X serial number A2s, but looks like someone beat me to it.  Right now, the only other thing I'm seeing that's out of FL that's reasonably close is Clyde's, and what they have looks really nice, but a bit too pricey.

I hate playing the "purchase chicken" game with myself, but just want to make sure I'm dotting all my i's.
View Quote

Better to take your time and find what you want than rush and en up with something you didn't really want. Some people buy and sell MGs like they are baseball cards, but i took my time finding exactly what i wanted at a price i knew i could afford because i know unless i win the lottery this will be the only MG i ever own.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
As a non crazy individual who has sold one machine gun, 1 MP5SD Sbr and an HK94 Sbr as well as numerous title 1 guns without a hitch, I'd say get references if you can. Or pay 10-20% and go with Reuben, or other reputable dealer.

You can't protect yourself 100% and many things can go wrong, but use your common sense, ask for photos with your name on a piece of paper partly under the gun or ask for specific views.  Does the seller have a verifiable address and phone number? Does he have a work number you can reach him at?  Does he have a history on eBay, gunbroker, AR15.com, etc

A plane ticket, a copy of the form 4, a written agreement of some sort all help to establish whether the seller is legit. Be sure you can check with ATF on the status (there's a box on the form 4 so your dealer can call ATF to check progress.)

If a price is too good to be true it probably is.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As a non crazy individual who has sold one machine gun, 1 MP5SD Sbr and an HK94 Sbr as well as numerous title 1 guns without a hitch, I'd say get references if you can. Or pay 10-20% and go with Reuben, or other reputable dealer.

You can't protect yourself 100% and many things can go wrong, but use your common sense, ask for photos with your name on a piece of paper partly under the gun or ask for specific views.  Does the seller have a verifiable address and phone number? Does he have a work number you can reach him at?  Does he have a history on eBay, gunbroker, AR15.com, etc

A plane ticket, a copy of the form 4, a written agreement of some sort all help to establish whether the seller is legit. Be sure you can check with ATF on the status (there's a box on the form 4 so your dealer can call ATF to check progress.)

View Quote
This,

I have bought one or two MGs. Most of my less then great experiences have been with dealers. Most people I have bought from are great. Just do as the poster above me said.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You live in Florida, correct ? I'd recommend dealing with Ruben Mendiola, I now someone who has dealt with him, and there are others on here that also have, very professional and in business for over twenty years.
View Quote

+1 - I have been very happy with everything I have purchased from him.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This,  

I have bought one or two MGs. Most of my less then great experiences have been with dealers. Most people I have bought from are great. Just do as the poster above me said.

<a href="http://s893.photobucket.com/user/chas8008/media/image_zps55d7add8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/image_zps55d7add8.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This,  

<a href="http://s893.photobucket.com/user/chas8008/media/image_zps55d7add8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/image_zps55d7add8.jpg</a>

Show off!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the comments, folks.  After having a lead on an unbelievable deal on an A2 that apparently had sold before I could get to it, I ended up going with Ruben for a very nice A1.  After visiting him in person and a few weeks of mulling, I went with the markup of a known dealer.  Now comes the wait.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't know anyone was still worried about 41P. It's dead in the water as of now, I wouldn't let that sway me one way or another. If you want it, buy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are right. My NFA buying will be severely limited if it is implemented.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After buying machineguns for over a decade my advice at this point is to just buy an M16 from one of the reputable dealers out there and call it a day.  (Unless it a personal friend/family member you know and trust)

Given the pricetags that these items cost, the wait time for the transfer, and the amount of potential online scams out there on subguns or sturm now-a-days... the risk of buying from an individual isnt worth it anymore to save a couple thousand bucks on a $20,000+ item.

The last machinegun I purchased from an individual recently turned into a friggin nightmare and I followed all of my previous offered advice about protecting yourself when buying from an individual (i.e. meeting them in person, inspecting the gun, confirming the F4 was legitimate, signing a mutal sales contract with established timelines and responsibilities.)  

The issue is there are just people out there who own these guns who are fucking nuts and that can turn the most basic process of performing an NFA transfer into a stressful drawn out mess.  Unfortunately,  its not a question of if.... but really just a just a question of when you step on one of these landmine like neurotic current owners who is selling off one of their guns.

Edited to add

View Quote

Where did you get that information? You can easily call the NFA branch and say you are wanting to purchase a machine gun from John doe,  and want to know if this MG is currently registered to John Doe, so you can proceed with the transfer. How is this complicated?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Where did you get that information? You can easily call the NFA branch and say you are wanting to purchase a machine gun from John doe,  and want to know if this MG is currently registered to John Doe, so you can proceed with the transfer. How is this complicated?
View Quote

I did exactly as you described and was told no info can be given over the phone.  When I pressed the issue about how was I, a responsible citizen, to know that I'm buying something legal, the response was basically, "Yeah, I understand, but we can't help you."

It would be interesting to hear that others had a different experience.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Where did you get that information? You can easily call the NFA branch and say you are wanting to purchase a machine gun from John doe,  and want to know if this MG is currently registered to John Doe, so you can proceed with the transfer. How is this complicated?
View Quote

Have you actually done this yourself?  This is all considered private tax information and disclosure of it is a crime.  If somebody gave you that information, they really shouldn't have.  Now, registry data can possibly be disclosed in a more generic sense.  i.e. Does this particular serial number belong to a transferable M16 presently in the database?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top