Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 2:15:40 PM EDT
Where on the M60 is the SN stamped?

Might be a strange question ("on the receiver dummy!") but I recalled that receivers were available to military armorers as replacement parts and it made me curious enough to ask.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
With most Military Contractor MFGed Guns (SACO/Lowell/Maremont/New England/etc.) generally the serial number is on the trunnion from what I have come across.

The next largest group of guns out there are the RIA guns.   The majority of these the Serial # is on the sheet metal, but as referenced by the thread from FALDOC above, some earlier RIA guns were made with trunnions from demilled ex-mil guns so you could see a serial on the trunnion and/or sheet metal.   The later generation RIA guns with their own mfged trunions are just marked on the sheet metal (both maker and serial) and the trunion is clean of any markings what-so-ever.

I am sure there are aftermarket guns made by various C2s out there that have marked some combination of the trunnion, channel, or left/right rails.  (never heard of the rear bridge being marked before but I guess it is possible)
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I my day, didn't touch M60's.
Even I, as a Small Arms Repairman had to send it to Depot Maintenance if the trunnion became loose.
Serial numbers were on the trunnion.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Many thanks for the answers, and my appologies to Faldoc. My google and search-fu is apparently weak.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Most MG's have a specified part of the receiver (for example, the right side plate) that for registration purposes is "the gun" and on which the serial number must be placed. The M60 is unusual in that the whole receiver assembly (a permanent assemblage of parts) is "the gun" and theoretically the serial number could be anywhere on this assembly. The individual parts of the receiver are not generally meant to be replaced, but in fact they can be, and are.  This is going to be a more often-encountered issue as people want to upgrade their 30-year-old M60's to the latest configuration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top