Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2014 11:22:26 PM EDT
My new Mac has a Galil stock welded to the back.  I just shortened the stock by 1 1/8" to clear the drum and reduce the LoP a bit.  LoP is now 13 3/8" and it clears the drum when folded.  The stock is still 1/8" longer than "Warsaw" length.

It took a lot of heat and banging to get the stock apart and I have not yet epoxied and pinned the shorter stock.  I have put 1" steel inserts into the ends with JB Weld as reinforcement.  The stock is a bit beat up from removal and need to be refinished.  The plastic spacer is being held by a wrap of tape until I can permanently reattach.

I own 7 drums, have been able to locate 6 of them, 5 of which are working flawlessly (one is getting hung up inside).  The gun itself is bulletproof.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. Never seen a side folder like that. Looks like a good shooter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It's an AK-style stock from an Israeli Galil rifle.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Who ever set up the gun was probably one tall Oedipus Rex!  I am 6'3" with long arms and like a 13.4-14" LoP on full size rifles and shotguns.  14.5" LoP was kind of excessive.  I found a good compromise between comfort and clearing the drum.  The gun worked well as a .380 (except for multiple feeds from the factory Zytel mags with stretched out feed lips).  I had one Zytel unload itself in my range bag on a bumpy road.  I'm on the waiting list for the second batch of Shockwave Technology ZMags (due late August).

There were some issues with the Lage upper jamming when switching from Auto to Semi.  I had a badly worn trip, a weak disconnector spring (disconnector side of the trigger spring).  However, the jams were most likely being caused by a badly bent pin retention spring sticking up into the path of the Lage bolt (this moves even higher when rotating the selector which is what caused both jams) and a slight misalignment coming form the fact that as received form the dealer, the gun had a slightly smaller diameter MP5 takedown pin instead of a Mac pin.

Richard bent my pin retention spring back to the proper shape.  It serves no other purpose but to hold the trigger pin and selector in place.  I replaced the trip, disconnector and trigger/disconnector spring with the Lage competition auto-only trigger which made those parts redundant.  I also went with the Lage hardened steel internal safety block, extended external safety catch, and Lage takedown pin.  Total damage was just under $170 with tax to get it running well.  I'm usually not price conscious but just bought a 40 acre hunting property in the Zuni foothills and I have a long market position so I am cash-poor right now (Clinton-style "broke").  I have a Galil stock hinge rebuilt kit (pin, spring, moon clip--$15) on it's way from Bonesteel Arms which should tighten things up.  The final stock bending, drilling, epoxying and pinning will be done when I see how the hinge sits when open and under tension.  With the worn pin, it currently sits a few degrees counter clockwise in the mount.  Whatever set it takes with the new mount, I will put a compensating bend in the stock so that the buttplate is straight.

As I do on all my slick plastic and even metal military stocks, I covered the buttplate with rubberized cotton friction tape.  It really grips clothing well.  I don't think the recoil will require me finding a 7.62 style Galil stock with a built-in rubber pad.  Although I have found that the "shake" is hard on the scope mounts.  I'm going to see if this 16mm high cantilever mount is strong enough after re-tightening it after it loosened slightly while firing about 500rds.  If not, I have a 20mm non-cantilever mount and I'll add a 4mm paracord wrap to the stock.  I found 1/2" and even a 15mm mount to be too low.

Range report: what can I say?  It's hot as hell outside!  I went out to the desert in the evening a couple times and shot some steel jacks and plastic resealables at various distances after bore sighting.  Used about 7 or 8 72-rd drum loads with Rem yellow box 115gr.  All but one drum worked flawlessly--I caught that drum getting stuck internally so it is not the gun's fault.  It happens to be my most rusty drum (internal and externally) of the 8 with bad pitting of the plate behind the scroll.  I had to modify the feed ramp on one (was hitting the scroll before the stop and jamming--that one is one my my nicest now).  I may just have to increase the spring pre-tension by a turn or so.

700 rpm feels kind of slow.  Even with the buffer spacer that adds about 10%, it sounded more like a typewriter than what I expected from a machine gun.  In fact, it sounded uncannily like typing.  :)  I need to go to a proper range to get it sighted in.
I noticed a little rise after the first 4-5 rounds.  Will probably pick up the Lage reverse canted grip to fight the rise.
I'll be trying it with my Ti-Rant .45 next.  I am on the lookout for some inexpensive 147gr subsonic.  I usually have a lot of fun with suppressed guns but not sure I will like shooting the MG suppressed.  It is a toy for turning money into noise after all . . .

Mike
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on AZ_Mike's suggestion, I bought a Lage Max-31A for my M11A1.

Here is a video of me shooting the gun for the first time.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

wow she runs fast

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Either when I grow up (I'm 33) or when my wife decides to divorce me, I was to get a machine gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Either when I grow up (I'm 33) or when my wife decides to divorce me, I was to get a machine gun.
View Quote

do it!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wow she runs fast  

I have the standard (slow fire) bolt in there.  It is a bit faster than an Uzi but slower than a MP-5.

Lage has other (meaning faster bolts) available.

If you think that was fast, you should see how fast a standard M11A1 runs with the factory .380acp upper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

wow she runs fast  

I have the standard (slow fire) bolt in there.  It is a bit faster than an Uzi but slower than a MP-5.

Lage has other (meaning faster bolts) available.

If you think that was fast, you should see how fast a standard M11A1 runs with the factory .380acp upper.

Thanks

I have a HK sear, a FS Uzi, 5 Mac 11s, 4 Mac 10 45s, a Mac 10/9, and a Mac1a... So I have hear a few mac bolts.

I just thought the Suomi upper would run slower. I want to get one too. Do you have any other videos.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#12]
While I've been meaning to take the gun out again and make some more videos, this is the only other one I have.

I let my wife try it.  She only had a partially loaded drum and did bursts with it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Now if you want to see fast, here is a 275 round mag dump with an American 180.

Note the quantity of brass coming out the bottom.

(Sorry we didn't have any targets left.  I had some gallon milk jugs I'd saved for this but the kid went an shot them up first.)

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

(Sorry we didn't have any targets left.  I had some gallon milk jugs I'd saved for this but the kid went an shot them up first.)

Thanks fuzzball, I need to make some videos one day..

I like the 180, I saw one listed last year for $8k I should have jumped on it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcpUSf7EZ8Y

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would have been a steal....
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, I thought it was a post 86 dealer sample for that price.

Heck I miss the B&G reg Uzi with a host for $3500 too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top