Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2014 5:49:17 PM EDT
Hey, guys, I have a question. The PD I work for has an old M2 Carbine in the safe. It was given to the PD by a now defunct sporting goods distributor in the late '50's or early '60's. The new Chief doesn't like "icky" guns and wants to see if we can get rid of it. Is there any way to call or write the ATF and see if the gun is on the registry? We have no paperwork with the gun, so I'm assuming it isn't.

Alternatively, since the gun is marked as an M1 Carbine and not M2, if it was never entered into the registry, what would be the legality of removing and destroying the FA parts and selling it as a standard M1 Carbine?

The gun itself has no collector's value anymore except as a shooter. It was highly polished, then high-gloss blued and the stock was sanded REALLY SMOOTH and coated with high-gloss varnish. It is more of a presentation piece but is still highly functional. It runs well with good mags, SA and FA both. I can't remember the manufacturer, I think it was Springfield, but I can't remember for sure.

If it is legal to remove the FA parts and sell as a standard M1 Carbine, I'd love to buy it myself. I love M1 Carbines but can't afford a good, untouched USGI gun. This is a USGI gun, but has basically no collector's value because of the refinish. Like I said, it would make a good shooter.

I'm not suggesting doing anything illegal, nor do I want anyone to think that I am. I'm curious about this, since the M2 is so easily converted back to an M1. If I'm suggesting doing anything illegal, then please let me know. I'm not real well versed on FA and Class 3 stuff.

Thanks for any and all help.

Bub75
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As it's for a PD, there's no danger of any blowback from just you or another officer calling the NFA branch and asking if serial number <x> is on the registry, and if so, is it properly registered to your department. Depending if it's ever been on the registry and/or got properly registered to your department will determine where you can go from there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As it's for a PD, there's no danger of any blowback from just you or another officer calling the NFA branch and asking if serial number <x> is on the registry, and if so, is it properly registered to your department. Depending if it's ever been on the registry and/or got properly registered to your department will determine where you can go from there.
View Quote

This. And let us know what they say. Just hope it's not a form 10.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
"Once a machine gun, always a machine gun" means that, technically, you can't just remove the FA parts and sell it as a semi. Who's to know, though, as long as it's marked "M1"?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Once a machine gun, always a machine gun" means that, technically, you can't just remove the FA parts and sell it as a semi. Who's to know, though, as long as it's marked "M1"?
View Quote

Yeah, but technically, the "machine gun" is the M2 parts.  If the gun is marked as an M1 and it's not in the registry, then remove the M2 parts (because "that's" the machinegun) and it is an M1 again.  If it is in the registry, then the M2 parts need to stay and then it depends on how it is papered as to where you go from there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Double Tap - Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys. I haven't had time to check on it yet but I will in the next couple weeks and let you know.

Bub75
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top