Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2014 6:35:36 PM EDT
Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but I wondered if anyone has experience with this combo out to 200 yds. Only thing I could find were discussions of terminal effects etc. with different barrel lengths, bullet weights and distances but nothing recent specifically dealing only with accuracy (preferably from a rest).

Many thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but I wondered if anyone has experience with this combo out to 200 yds. Only thing I could find were discussions of terminal effects etc. with different barrel lengths, bullet weights and distances but nothing recent specifically dealing only with accuracy (preferably from a rest).

Many thanks in advance.
View Quote

You may want to look in the SBR forum.

Click on ARMORY tab above, then scroll down to Short Barrel Rifle forum.

Short barrels are not less accurate, and are usually stiffer, which increases accuracy. HOWEVER, you lose velocity, so the drop and wind are much more of a factor. IMO 7.5" barrel in 5.56 is a 100 yard or less effective range because of velocity.

If you want 200 yards, maybe consider a 10.5".

But, if it's a range toy, then have at it. I can hit steel at 200 yards with a 7.5" upper and open sights no problem (just did it last weekend again) from a bench.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
One more thing to consider is that AAC does not warranty their cans for use on barrels shorter than 10.5 inches. This may prevent a problem when finding the data you are looking for with that particular combo.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Many thanks for the reply and I will check in over at the other forum. Actually I already have the 10.5 but due to increasing physical problems from an ancient Vietnam shoulder wound I have increasing trouble supporting the leverage from the extra length of even the 10.5 for good off-hand groups from 200m and less so I am switching to the 7.5.

I teach firearms marksmanship and self defense shooting but due to my own view of the legal risks (I am an attorney as well) associated with using a rifle/carbine for self defense I limit that training to shotguns and handguns. As such, and since I am also not a hunter my rifle/carbine teaching is for marksmanship fundamentals and range use so terminal ballistics etc. are not all that important to me .

Again, many thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Many thanks for the reply and I will check in over at the other forum. Actually I already have the 10.5 but due to increasing physical problems from an ancient Vietnam shoulder wound I have increasing trouble supporting the leverage from the extra length of even the 10.5 for good off-hand groups from 200m and less so I am switching to the 7.5.

I teach firearms marksmanship and self defense shooting but due to my own view of the legal risks (I am an attorney as well) associated with using a rifle/carbine for self defense I limit that training to shotguns and handguns. As such, and since I am also not a hunter my rifle/carbine teaching is for marksmanship fundamentals and range use so terminal ballistics etc. are not all that important to me .

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like you need a good two point sling to help with "weight" out front. Although 3 inches of barrel is only a few ounces.

You can shoot one handed fairly well with a properly set up 2 point.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you elaborate on that?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top