Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2014 12:34:43 AM EDT
Pardon if this has been posted here before, but I have always had a fondness for the Cadillac Gage Costa Mesa made Stoner 63 Survival Carbine.  Only one was made, but the original designer, Robert L. Gaddis, who may be familiar to all the Randall Knife collectors here, kept his copies of the original blueprints.  When the original was destroyed by BATF back when Cadillac Gage left the firearms business, all of the parts were kept, and they were added to a post 86 receiver, which was milled to the original 1964 specs for the USAF survival rifle competition - which also included the Colt Model 07 SMG and earlier Surivival rifle, and they were compared to the M14 with a special folding metal stock and the standard M3A1 Greaser.    

I will try and find the original USAF test report, which is posted online somewhere,

Here is a nice vid from Knight's Institute for Military Technology.

Enjoy........it turned a pretty sh*t day I was having into a nice one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmlGg06OO0E
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I'm stationed at Aux Field 9, now known as Hurlburt Field.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
JAKnight, small world..........I just got back from Hurlburt a week or so ago.  Bought a couple unusual Ops Core helmets and a gear collection of 2 retiring USAF SpecOps types, who were JTACs and other more high speed fields.

You can always run into neat stuff down there and the surroundings are very nice!

Thanks for your service and hang tight!
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool vid
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool vid
View Quote

+1 very!

Thank you for posting this up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm betting there would be more than one in existence if someone could get hold of the blueprints.

Foia?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Blueprints were lost to the wind until the mid 1990's.  Knight did not even have a set, but he did have a receiver that was modded with some parts that looked like they came from Holland.

Robert Gaddis, who worked for Cadillac Gage at the time, built the Survival Carbine for the USAF testing, along with some other designs for USAF concepts.  He kept a set of blueprints and some other gear.

The current owner of the bllueprints, not Reed KNight, is probably the most rabid (in a good way) Stoner 63 System collector in the world - and a pretty nice guy.

The Stoner 63 Survival Rifle, with a non-reciprocating cocking handle would be a great semi rifle concept today, since you could tool up for several different barrel lengths to be legal in non-SBR states and also tool up for 300 blackout and other calibers.

Look at some of Knight's submissions for the SCAR program..............."Everything old is new again!"

skip forward to 2:27 for the KAC SLICK version and tell me is it doesnt look familiar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnevku6vJrQ
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
That's some neat info I had no idea about. Thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't see it
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of the best designs are old designs.

Depressing that the prototype was destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
COOL guns..

Horrible editing.. It ruined the technical presentation and was very hard to watch.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I too have a warm spot for Stoners

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blueprints were lost to the wind until the mid 1990's.  Knight did not even have a set, but he did have a receiver that was modded with some parts that looked like they came from Holland.

Robert Gaddis, who worked for Cadillac Gage at the time, built the Survival Carbine for the USAF testing, along with some other designs for USAF concepts.  He kept a set of blueprints and some other gear.

The current owner of the bllueprints, not Reed KNight, is probably the most rabid (in a good way) Stoner 63 System collector in the world - and a pretty nice guy.

The Stoner 63 Survival Rifle, with a non-reciprocating cocking handle would be a great semi rifle concept today, since you could tool up for several different barrel lengths to be legal in non-SBR states and also tool up for 300 blackout and other calibers.

Look at some of Knight's submissions for the SCAR program..............."Everything old is new again!"

skip forward to 2:27 for the KAC SLICK version and tell me is it doesnt look familiar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnevku6vJrQ
View Quote

KAC SLICK is a 552 operating system in a monolithic aluminum chassis upper, mated to an aluminum lower with AR15/M16 controls and using a Stoner 63 magazine. I love the concept and wish it would see production.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#14]
While informative, the motion graphics and editing of the video is pretty bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top