Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 3:44:01 PM EDT
I'm looking for a shotgun under $500-$600 with the below specs that would make a good SBS. Please help, I don't know much in the way of side-by-sides.

-fits budget
-double trigger
-EJECTORS
-Reliable/not prone to breaking
-20 gauge
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a shotgun under $500-$600 with the below specs that would make a good SBS. Please help, I don't know much in the way of side-by-sides.

-fits budget
-double trigger
-EJECTORS
-Reliable/not prone to breaking
-20 gauge
View Quote

find an old savage 311
look here for pics http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=769045 or click here
everything but ejectors and affordable too
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you look here: http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coach-gun-supreme-shotgun
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I like those but... No ejectors... That's what I'm finding to be the most difficult aspect.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.  Very "Mad Max"
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Mine is Stoeger-based, and it has been going strong for more than a decade and thousands of rounds. Still locks up absolutely solid. The extractors push the empties far enough up that it's easy to remove them -- half the time, I just tilt up the muzzle and they fall to the ground.

Here's a presentation case I'm making for it, so it can sit on my desk when it's not in its holster:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSC_01151.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1498bearinholster.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like those but... No ejectors... That's what I'm finding to be the most difficult aspect.

Mine is Stoeger-based, and it has been going strong for more than a decade and thousands of rounds. Still locks up absolutely solid. The extractors push the empties far enough up that it's easy to remove them -- half the time, I just tilt up the muzzle and they fall to the ground.

Here's a presentation case I'm making for it, so it can sit on my desk when it's not in its holster:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSC_01151.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1498bearinholster.gif

Well I just bout a Stoeger coach in 20ga. I finally gave up on ejectors. Did you cut your forward grip down? If so how?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Tony, very nice.  It's guns like yours that inspired me.  I went a bit of a different route after researching velocity vs barrel length for 12ga and the length (30cm+) of traditional Sicilian Luparas.

If anyone is looking for a more traditional look, I found that the Tripple K Style 1514 Howda Black Powder Pistol Holster will stretch to fit a Stoeger quite well.
The upper part is generously sized (for a hammer?) but the lower part is way too small.

I put the gun in 2 bread bags, dipped just the barrel portion of the holster in hot water with a tiny drop of Dawn for 15 seconds, and slid the gun in while still hot.  It is almost disgusting how much hot wet leather will stretch.  Left the gun in for about 48 hours as the leather dried completely.

It is a perfect fit now.  In fact it retains tightly without a strap and takes a little tug to release as it grips the back taper on the sides of the foregrip (I'm sure your could add a few more layers of bred bags if you wanted it looser).

I'm still working on a solution for the front grip screws bending under recoil.

Mike

PS.  The original thought with using a 1-trigger Uplander Supreme model (ironically a 30" Longfowler :) ) was being able to shoot the gun one handed without having to reposition the hand to change triggers.  Unfortunately with anything > 1 oz. 1100 fps (very reduced recoil like the discontinued blue shell Hornady TAP) the guns doubles and it is not safe the way an unexpected double causes the gun to sweep the shooting line, so it is still a 2-handed gun.  I have shot a lot of Herters Mini-shells (3/4 oz load at 1250) as a substitute but got a double once (sweaty hands?).  I only even try one handed when there is no one with me and I'm standing far from my truck.  I would ask anyone else to think long and hard about building a 1-trigger 12ga gun.  It makes a better two handed gun but a worse one handed one than a 2-trigger.  I could possibly increase the weight of the trigger (2nd trigger) but the gun is "sealed up" now.

PPS. Tony_K, as someone who had made more than one been using them for a while, how secure are the sears against a bump?  I've grown fond of my knees and calves and sometimes wonder about carry on the trail.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Stevens 311 20ga i built last year.
10" barrel
cut down and re-shaped fore end
i was pleasantly surprised to find it was a blonde once i started sanding the stain/paint off the wood.
Sanded just enough to remove the old finished but left the factory checkering alone making it looked burned in.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Is your a 20 or a 12 ga.?  You mention .44 mag recoil levels.  I wish mine had .454 casull recoil levels!

Mike
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn't an Aussie Arfcommer once post pics of his O/U with cut down barrels?

For hip holsters the idea is intriguing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish I could find a replacement for the TAP reduced recoil.  1 oz 1100 fps is like a 2.5 dram equivalent 16ga load in a 12ga case.  With the flight control wad, the 8 00 buck pellets patterned great.  The standard TAP load is 1600 fps!

Mike
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I also went with a Stoger. Mine is a 12ga though...  I cut the sides off the forend to match the one in Roadwarrior.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
AZ_Mike...  I also have a Stoger Uplander that I hunt with.  I have had it for over 20 years and have hunted hard with it and have fallen with it.  I have never had a discharge that I did not pull the trigger.  The safety on the Stoger is just a trigger block.  It is a bar that slides over the top of the triggers that stops upward movement.  Everytime you open the breach, it will automatically engage the safety.  I feel it is a very safe gun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AZ_Mike...  I also have a Stoger Uplander that I hunt with.  I have had it for over 20 years and have hunted hard with it and have fallen with it.  I have never had a discharge that I did not pull the trigger.  The safety on the Stoger is just a trigger block.  It is a bar that slides over the top of the triggers that stops upward movement.  Everytime you open the breach, it will automatically engage the safety.  I feel it is a very safe gun.
View Quote

I filed down the push rod to make my safety manual.  Of couse I carry it on safe.
Glad to hear the sears are pretty secure.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, you guys suck!

I'm going to get one of these made up. A couple questions please...

1) I'm thinking 20 g is the way to go?

2) Any trouble with having the stock screw being too long?

3) Is there a way to access the stock bolt after you've stuck the "plug" on the back of the pistol grip?

4) Are there any viable single trigger models that would be good host guns?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, you guys suck!

I'm going to get one of these made up. A couple questions please...

1) I'm thinking 20 g is the way to go?  Pussy

2) Any trouble with having the stock screw being too long? I had to get a shorter screw.  The original is not fully threaded.

3) Is there a way to access the stock bolt after you've stuck the "plug" on the back of the pistol grip?  Not on mine.

4) Are there any viable single trigger models that would be good host guns?  Probably, but 2 triggers,2 guns...

Thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Double triggers it is.

Has anyone got experience with these Russian ladies? Would they be a viable host?

Baikal/USSG MP220
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#24]
In general O/U guns are recoil reset regardless of number of triggers.  SxS guns are self-resetting regardless of number of triggers.  Single triggers are much more common on O/U guns.
Any of the SxS made by Stoeger are self-resetting.

My 12ga Stoeger can double single handed on anything stronger than 16ga equivalent loads (once on such a weak load with a sweaty hand).  Two handed it can shoot magnum loads and never double.  I am having issues with bending forestock screws shooting two handed however.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#25]
OP here, I went w/ a 20ga Stoeger coach gun. Decided ejectors weren't really that big of a deal. Also, wanted 20ga so that shooting with a pistol grip or pulling both triggers wasn't a wrist killer. Will update with photos when I'm done. Form 1 submitted 5/30/14.... So we got awhile to wait.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#26]
To make one of these one would have to submit a form 1 for a sbs? $200 tax and wait? Or would it be a destructive device or aow? Very interested in making one of these.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#27]
$200 on a F1 for a Short Barrel Shotgun...  It is still $200 to make and AOW, and $5 to transfer an AOW.  I have never seen a double with a pistol grip from the factory.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
$200 on a F1 for a Short Barrel Shotgun...  It is still $200 to make and AOW, and $5 to transfer an AOW.  I have never seen a double with a pistol grip from the factory.
View Quote

Thanks for clearification
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Double triggers it is.

Has anyone got experience with these Russian ladies? Would they be a viable host?

http://www.galleryofguns.com//prod_images/489696.jpg

Baikal/USSG MP220
View Quote

Paladin Armory makes them and I've heard good things about Paladin so the assumption is that they're viable.

Paladin Armory SBS
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got a couple Stoeger 20g coach guns. Should be a fun project. I'm fixing to cut the stocks, but was wondering if a shorter stock screw is needed. Has anyone done this conversion themselves? I guess I'll find out!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Double triggers it is.

Baikal/USSG MP220
View Quote

I was actually going to suggest those. They have a good reputation for reliability. The main knock against them is stocks that are too short and don't "fit" that well. Since you're not going to be firing from the shoulder those are moot issues. The other knock is fairly heavy/gritty triggers but there's information online about improving them. These guns have found some favor among cowboy shooters so a lot of the legwork has already been done.

Personally, what you're doing doesn't appeal to me at all, but if I were going that way, the Baikal would probably be my first choice.

ETA: IIRC, the Baikals use a stock draw bolt that is accessed under the buttplate. Not sure if that's an issue, but I suppose if the bolt is too long, you could just substitute a shorter bolt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#32]
The problem with the Baikals is that they are not being imported due to the Russian drama.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The problem with the Baikals is that they are not being imported due to the Russian drama.
View Quote

Plenty of them out there used, though. In fact, most of the used ones for sale have been BARELY used. May have something to do with the fact that they kick the shit out of you due to awful stock dimensions.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been looking into something like this for some time, mainly being inspired by Tony's SBS.

How difficult would cutting and shaping the stock be for a newbie to woodworking?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
, but was wondering if a shorter stock screw is needed. Has anyone done this conversion themselves?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
, but was wondering if a shorter stock screw is needed. Has anyone done this conversion themselves?

I needed a shorter screw for my Stoger.  I took the stock screw to the hardware store  and found a shorter bolt with the same thread pitch.  

Quoted:
I've been looking into something like this for some time, mainly being inspired by Tony's SBS.

How difficult would cutting and shaping the stock be for a newbie to woodworking?

I am more of a metal worker.  I don't think the wood is hard, but I have no idea what your skill level is with tools.  I also have the proper tools to do the job (band saw, belt grinder, Dremel, files and sand paper).
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I tagged this thread as I'm also interested in building two SBS. Always wanted the ones from Mad Max, but The one in Desperado looks even nastier. I think it's a prop though, it looks too short to be safe.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Double triggers it is.

Baikal/USSG MP220
View Quote

It's what I used, of course I still need to get the barrel cut and the wood reshaped...I'm actually more concerned with the wood part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top