Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2014 7:19:45 PM EDT
I have a MKII sten that shoots with a normal POI at 100y of a few inches low when I use the 7 7/8" barrel but when I throw on the 4 1/8" bull barrel and AAC EVO9 it magically shoots about a foot high at 100y even though the velocity is about 1100fps or a few hundred lower than with the long barrel. Whats the deal with it shooting high with the short barrel and suppressor?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]

N/M

check to make sure you aren't getting baffle or endcap strikes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope no strikes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried without the suppressor on the short barrel?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I will have to do that. I didnt have time to test it on the day I shot it suppressed since we were loosing daylight and I was trying to get a video filmed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will have to do that. I didnt have time to test it on the day I shot it suppressed since we were loosing daylight and I was trying to get a video filmed.
View Quote

yeah, that's where my N/M came from. i had started to say that the perpendicularity between the bore and shoulder [barrel] may be bad, which would cause the same issue. seeing as how you said it was with the can on though, i figured thread concentricity was likely the culprit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

yeah, that's where my N/M came from. i had started to say that the perpendicularity between the bore and shoulder [barrel] may be bad, which would cause the same issue. seeing as how you said it was with the can on though, i figured thread concentricity was likely the culprit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

call me a 13er but what is N/M
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to go with 'Never Mind'.

Barrel change + Sten = POI change > This is not my surprised face.  I've never had a Sten, but they've never seemed much like precision instruments to me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with 'Never Mind'.

Barrel change + Sten = POI change > This is not my surprised face.  I've never had a Sten, but they've never seemed much like precision instruments to me.
View Quote

yeah, sorry. this.

anyhow, we've never noticed HUGE changes on my buddy's STEN, but barrel to barrel there is definitely a difference. a foot difference i'd worry about.

we started building about fifteen .22lr conversion kits for his MKII and to sell, and we really tightly controlled the flange thickness, as well as perpendicularity, in order to minimize POI/POA change. after all was said and done we realized it was a lot of additional expense for naught, as the 9mm and .22 POA/POI wasn't going to be the same anyhow...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I was hoping that there would be an easy answer but it looks like I will have to do more testing on my own to get the anwser
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top