Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2014 5:41:21 PM EDT

Hi...

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a M-10/9mm.

It is a mint MAC/RPB double stamp.  I have all packaging, owners manual, etc.  I am missing the mag loader and front strap.  It doesn't seem to be an issue to replace those parts.

Here's the question....

I understand that I have a double feed bolt, and the original magazines are not cheap.  I see the FTF industries has a bit more affordable RPB magazine for around the $50.

Being a cheap bastard, I am looking for advice/tutorials/experiences with converting the Suomi 36 round magazines to work in the gun.

I'd love to hear from those that have traveled this road before.

I was planning originally to have a uzi magwell conversion done, but I really don't like the idea of permanently modifying this gun.

Thanks for any input and advice.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Uzitalk.com has all the information you need, there are pluses and minuses to the uzi conversion, but i wouldnt do it.

Conversion see post 16 here
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?43559-MAX-10SD
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't convert the magwell.

Don't bother with the front strap, they just get in the way or trap you fingers if you have large hands.

Get a Lage side folding stock, you'll need it for effective shooting.

Heat resistant gloves are helpful, Blackhawk makes some that don't make you look like a lost welder.

The mags are difficult to find but not impossible. You want a bunch of them so you don't have to wait and reload after a 3 second mag dump.

USMG has magazines and some can be found on GB.  

May want to look at a USMG sidecocking upper, as well. Love 'em on my M10/45's keep my M10/9 with original upper but added the upgraded buffers from USMG.

AMMO (round tipped FMG only) and feed angle of the mags is important to reliability

And 'being a cheap bastard' and being a machine gun owner won't work. It's a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ hobby unless you're into safe queens
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't convert the magwell.

Don't bother with the front strap, they just get in the way or trap you fingers if you have large hands.

Get a Lage side folding stock, you'll need it for effective shooting.

Heat resistant gloves are helpful, Blackhawk makes some that don't make you look like a lost welder.

The mags are difficult to find but not impossible. You want a bunch of them so you don't have to wait and reload after a 3 second mag dump.

USMG has magazines and some can be found on GB.  

May want to look at a USMG sidecocking upper, as well. Love 'em on my M10/45's keep my M10/9 with original upper but added the upgraded buffers from USMG.

AMMO (round tipped FMG only) and feed angle of the mags is important to reliability

And 'being a cheap bastard' and being a machine gun owner won't work. It's a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ hobby unless you're into safe queens
View Quote

Thanks for the advice.

Truthfully, after shooting the one I have, I think I am going to keep it more "stock" than I had originally planned.  I had planned on a Lage Upper, uzi magwell, PS stock, wrap-around grips, etc. etc.

I can see the utility of a side-cocker upper, but after shooting this one, I don't think I'll be putting an aimpoint on it like I had planned.  I'll probably just keep the top-cocker on it.

I do think I'll put a stock adapter on it.  I wanted to try to keep the original wire stock on it, but I now know what it would be like to be raped with a wire coat hanger.

I have a few ideas about it.  I like the PS side-folder.  However, I see that Masterpiece Arms sells their side-folder separately, and I think it will fit.  It is only a question of durability.

As for being a cheap bastard.  I have no illusions.  I'll shoot the thing some, but I know I'll not be burning ammo through it on a regular basis.  For that reason, it will be more of a defacto safe queen-- out of budgetary necessity rather than desire.

I reload.  So that may help.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Uzitalk.com has all the information you need, there are pluses and minuses to the uzi conversion, but i wouldnt do it.

Conversion see post 16 here
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?43559-MAX-10SD
View Quote

Thanks.  Yeah, I have decided against the conversion.

If it were not such a mint gun, I would have considered it.

I appreciate the link on the Soumi mag conversion.  I don't think that is outside of my skills or equipment.  It seems like a viable option.  Sadly, I am looking at months before I can get my lower to hand-fit.  I'll probably just spend the next few months collecting magazines and stripping all I can down and getting ready to hand fit the mag stop and mag catch.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, if you have tools, nothing is really "permanent".  I modded one of my M10s - an SWD-built Stephenville M10/9. a couple years back with a removable grip housing to let me use it as an M10/45 with greasegun mags, zytel mags with the stock cobray 9mm magwell insert, and sten mags with my converted sten magazine grip.  

Still working on a removable Uzi grip housing as I get time to fiddle with it, and also working on sten mag inserts for the GG 10/45 magwell, as well.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=22&t=355167

I also recently finished adapting them to use the buffer inside an AR-15 stock, which can be used for slowfire conversions, and allows them to be used with the S.A.B.R.E. 5.56 uppers...

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I do think I'll put a stock adapter on it.  I wanted to try to keep the original wire stock on it, but I now know what it would be like to be raped with a wire coat hanger.
View Quote

Aw, 'cmon.  You haven't lived until you've had one of these stocks collapse on you in mid-mag dump.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My mac10/9 came with the single feed bolt, and I wasn't a fan of the Zytel mags or the conversions.
It was pretty much a jam o matic out of the box.
I shot it for a while before ordering the Lage upper with a dual feed bolt.
The FTF mags have worked great for me, I say buy one and try it out.
I have also had alot of success with the silver bear 115gr, and the wwb.
Find what your gun likes, and stock up, mine would not feed alot of other brands.
Lurk over at Mac10talk.com, there is a shitload of experience and knowledge over there.
Good luck
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
OK... new question.

Is there any way to determine year of manufacture by the serial number on a RPB doublestamp M-10/9?  Is there some published date range for serial numbers?

Mine has the serial number B29XX.

The only date that I have found is the copyright date in the owner's manual which is 1971-- which I know is meaningless for an RPB.

I am just curious.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless you can find some old RPB records through Wayne Daniel or a former RPB employee, your best bet would be an FOIA request to the ATF for the Form 2 registration date of your M10.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]
B964 May 79  - B3047 October 82
So I would bet sometime in 82
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
B964 May 79  - B3047 October 82
So I would bet sometime in 82
View Quote

Thank you!!!

Your date seems about right.  And it is right enough to satisfy my curiosity  A range and ball-park is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Circuits, how much does the Sabre (complete gun) weight and how does it shoot?
Not flaming, but I admit being very skeptical of the design.  I thought the YouTube video was an April Fools joke.  31 screws, 3 jacking bolts, 4 trunnion bolts, some dowel pins (I stopped counting).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPqA7lUxofk

Mike
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Circuits, how much does the Sabre (complete gun) weight and how does it shoot?
View Quote

As noted in the reply above this one, they're heavy mothers.  Empty and with no bipod(s) or sights, mine weigh in at 14lbs 11.2oz and 14lbs 13.3oz, respectively.  The one with the magpul stock weighs the extra 2oz.  Add in a coupla red dots or BUIS so you can actually aim, and 15lbs empty is about where they'll come out, I think.

They do shoot, though, and shoot pretty well.  Certainly an exciting option for the MAC owner who doesn't have an M16 in his budget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top