Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2014 9:16:55 AM EDT
Will these ever be available to us with 60s?

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Desert ord has out fitted a couple of 60's for civvie owners. I actually got to meet the owner at the show of shows. Nice guy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes about 7k for the kit when I asked.  I have a RIA and they said another 3k for receiver modifications for mine.  Ouch
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes about 7k for the kit when I asked.  I have a RIA and they said another 3k for receiver modifications for mine.  Ouch
View Quote

Yes.  I bought one direct from Desert Ordnance.  $7,500 for the kit, and $3000 to strip the receiver down to just the serialized part, then totally rebuild the entire receiver, and install the kit.  With a warranty.  The kits are $8,000 now though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
What has to be done with the receiver?  And pass on that price.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but the real question is, is the conversion cost-effective? I had a talk with the Desert Ordnance guys, at Knob Creek, about converting my M60, but in the end decided not to. I don't believe that converting the gun would add $10,000 to its value. In other words, you couldn't recoup the cost. And basically, the M60 is not one of my favorites anyway.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=402873649

I know; it's not an E6 conversion, but it should get you that much closer. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, but the real question is, is the conversion cost-effective? I had a talk with the Desert Ordnance guys, at Knob Creek, about converting my M60, but in the end decided not to. I don't believe that converting the gun would add $10,000 to its value. In other words, you couldn't recoup the cost. And basically, the M60 is not one of my favorites anyway.

View Quote

Eh, it's all a matter of opinion.  To me, the complete conversion of the receiver to new full mil spec, refinished, then the E6 kit installed, and a full warranty for that price was pretty great.  Considering the cost of the registered gun itself, it's just a fraction of the overall cost.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:03:42 AM EDT
[#8]
What gets done to the receiver?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anything need for it to be identical to a receiver they just built themself.  A friend bought an E8, not a typo, E8 kit at SAR Show for $8500 and installed all the parts himself easily.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as I know the only thing that happens with the receiver is properly mounting the ammo hanger on te left side. But there's numerous ways to do that in ones garage.  Does anything happen with the op-rod tube/housing?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
i just want that e6 buttstock and gas extension
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i just want that e6 buttstock and gas extension
View Quote

That's all I really want is the butt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes.  Here's mine.  They totally rebuilt, and refinished my transferable RIA M60, then brought it up to mil-spec before installing the kit for me.

I'm happy with it...

Short video of 100 rounds

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#14]
So what gets done besides the hangar that's done on all e 4s?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Full tear down to just the bare receiver that's serialized.  New trunnion, rails, rivets, finish, everything.  Then an E6 kit installed and test fired.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#16]
what's the difference b/w E6 and E8?

Also, how do you strengthen the receiver?

Thanks for the NFA/C3 education, guys!

Quoted:

Anything need for it to be identical to a receiver they just built themself.  A friend bought an E8, not a typo, E8 kit at SAR Show for $8500 and installed all the parts himself easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

E8?  I asked them about this after reading this, and they said there was no such thing that they know about.

More pictures of my E6 with it's brother.....

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]
NICE pictures!

What did they do to strengthen the receiver?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
NICE pictures!

What did they do to strengthen the receiver?
View Quote

They explained it all to me in January, and it sounded great, but honestly, I don't remember, and have no freaking clue anymore.  Sorry, work turns my brain to mush on a daily basis.

Call them up and ask.  Robert up there can tell you real quick over the phone.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Full tear down to just the bare receiver that's serialized.  New trunnion, rails, rivets, finish, everything.  Then an E6 kit installed and test fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So really sounds like nothing than normal overhaul and then a new butt stock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Very cool upgrade. (and nice pics by the way)

Its tempting to do the same thing you did.... but its hard to send in my perfectly functioning E4 and 10K off to get upgraded as I don't think it will buy me anything from a functional perspective. (since my current E4 functions without a hitch).

Will probably add a MM23eK to the collection before upgrading my E4 to E6, but maybe one day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Now that is a fkn Work of Art !!!  fkn aye bro !!!

what kind of rail forearm is that ? i have the US Ord one, looks smiliar.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#23]
No, they did change some stuff, I just don't remember. I can call and ask again to fill you all in.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

So really sounds like nothing than normal overhaul and then a new butt stock.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Very cool upgrade. (and nice pics by the way)

Its tempting to do the same thing you did.... but its hard to send in my perfectly functioning E4 and 10K off to get upgraded as I don't think it will buy me anything from a functional perspective. (since my current E4 functions without a hitch).

Will probably add a MM23eK to the collection before upgrading my E4 to E6, but maybe one day.
View Quote

Do it. I sold my e4 kit for $6k pretty fast on subguns.  Helped pay for this quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Now that is a fkn Work of Art !!!  fkn aye bro !!!

what kind of rail forearm is that ? i have the US Ord one, looks smiliar.
View Quote

UsOrd, just the e6 version.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#26]
looks similiar, i guess machined more for weight. very nice. now throw on some gear and run
that gun hard....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#27]
That does really look beautiful collegeboy.  Im torn because i like the nostalgia of my M60E1, but that looks bad ass.  I dont have a belt fed host for my HK sear, but I already have the 60 and a M249 SAW.  Do you like the HK a lot?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That does really look beautiful collegeboy.  Im torn because i like the nostalgia of my M60E1, but that looks bad ass.  I dont have a belt fed host for my HK sear, but I already have the 60 and a M249 SAW.  Do you like the HK a lot?
View Quote

Yes, it's a great gun. Being able to swap calibers in 2 mintes with no tools is cool too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, it's a great gun. Being able to swap calibers in 2 mintes with no tools is cool too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But having a SAW I'd rather a more user friendly 308 platform.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#30]
After more reading, it seems it's worth more of my time to just throw on the e6 stock on my E4 and spend the other money on beer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top