Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2014 5:21:44 PM EDT
Ever since about 2008 I have been interested in MG's... I have watched prices fluctuate like crazy and honestly don't know if it is a good time to buy or not.

My limit is probably an AC-556, but I have been looking at MAC's pretty hard.

There just isn't any way for me to get into an M-16 at this point in my life.... What say the hive?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd probably buy the MAC.  It will be cheaper to feed.  It has a lot of aftermarket support.  I would think it would be easier to sell when and if you feel the need to use the money to upgrade.  But in reality, ALL machineguns sell so I really wouldn't be worried about dumping off an AC556.  MACs just move fast.  They are the entry level machinegun and people are always looking to pick them up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have watched prices fluctuate like crazy and honestly don't know if it is a good time to buy or not.

View Quote

The time to buy a full auto is right now, because prices will continue to climb as the supply continues to decrease.
Factor in the chance that future ownership may become more difficult due to restrictive regulations, or even an out right ban, and that makes buying now even more desirable.

A MAC type weapon is a great entry level MG, and about the cheapest and easiest to find.

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Very wise man....

Every year, newcomer wants to purchase MG and the supply is fixed since 86.
I see more and more people holding off their MG for good reasons... I will not sell my LL or HK sears.
Every month,  year, I see people posting "should I buy now or wait?".... just remember, today's crazy price is tomorrow's deal of the year.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

The time to buy a full auto is right now, because prices will continue to climb as the supply continues to decrease.
Factor in the chance that future ownership may become more difficult due to restrictive regulations, or even an out right ban, and that makes buying now even more desirable.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to move to a full auto state.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very wise man....

I see more and more people holding off their MG for good reasons... I will not sell my LL or HK sears.
Every month,  year, I see people posting "should I buy now or wait?".... just remember, today's crazy price is tomorrow's deal of the year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Very wise man....

This is exactly why I bought one now. I figured if I didn't do it now I never would be able to.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a Mac 10 with a Lage upper.  That makes my 3rd MG.

If you have the cash buy now.  The prices are always moving up.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ever since about 2008 I have been interested in MG's... I have watched prices fluctuate like crazy and honestly don't know if it is a good time to buy or not.

There just isn't any way for me to get into an M-16 at this point in my life.... What say the hive?
View Quote

Prices vary a lot for any given gun, but they have trended upwards except for a 2 or 3 year period after the '08 crash.

If you're thinking about it, go ahead. By the time your approval comes in the prices will have gone up even more, and if you wait, you have to save up more to buy it.

I just wish I bought more back in 1999 when I started buying MGs... or even better, when I started getting interested in them in 1975.

If you can sell off your semi-autos to gather up more cash for an M16 conversion (about $15k), you can always buy uppers for it to suit your wants later.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
there's been no price fluctuation

in 2010 the worldwide supply of money fell by 25% as the full force of the 2005 bank scam hit

so there was a dip in MG prices (and all other collectables) as everyone sold off all their Harleys and boats to pay for their underwater 3rd mortgages

then when the tsunami of mortgage defaults was over, the prices of MGs started marching right back up again.

anybody who thinks MG prices are going to drop is kidding themselves

there is always a spread on NFA gun prices since the marketplace consists private sellers all over the entire country

suppose you want a particular gun

some guy somewhere will be bragging on some net forum about how he got one for $8,000

you'll see ads on subguns for $10K to $12K

and reuben will have them for $14K

and they'll be some knucklehead who has his on gunbroker for $20K for some unknown reason

that's not a fluctuation, that's just a normal price spread.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just because the MAC's are usually the cheapest doesn't necessarily make them any lesser of a gun, especially these days. The MAC's have more options available second only to the M16/AR platform. Calibers in .22/.380/9mm/45/5.56, various uppers, stocks (folding, fixed, collapsing), rails vs. fixed sights, grips, mags, suppressors that work really well with a MAC...I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys...

I really want an M-16.... I mean, that is what I will lust for for until I get one. They are just pricing themselves out of my range. I guess I could part with some semi-auto guns but I have refined my collection to a point that I really like most of what I have even if I don't shoot it much. I could theoretically (ahem), finance an M-16 with a 401k loan and pay myself the interest (I'm young... I know still stupid).

I think I will keep an eye out for a month or two and take the plunge for an M-11/9. $5000 just seems insane when I was seeing them go as low as $2200~ after the 08 meltdown.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thanks guys...

I really want an M-16.... I mean, that is what I will lust for for until I get one. They are just pricing themselves out of my range. I guess I could part with some semi-auto guns but I have refined my collection to a point that I really like most of what I have even if I don't shoot it much. I could theoretically (ahem), finance an M-16 with a 401k loan and pay myself the interest (I'm young... I know still stupid).

I think I will keep an eye out for a month or two and take the plunge for an M-11/9. $5000 just seems insane when I was seeing them go as low as $2200~ after the 08 meltdown.
View Quote

That's exactly what I did. I'll have it paid back in 3 years. By then, the gun will have gone up in value a couple grand i'm betting.

I also bought a M11/9 with the bonus money I got back in Jan

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Arghhhh....

Ok, looking through the safe today, and realized most of my stuff is NFA/NFA related besides the fudd guns. Not going to sell any NFA stuff.

Looks like this may be less easy than what I thought. Saw a converted AR-15A2 on Sturm for 16.5 today. That doesn't look too bad.

Are there any conversions to specifically avoid? A real deal just isn't going to happen I think.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's how I look at it -

most MGs still cost the same or less than a sort of lame used car, like 2010 Ford F-150 with 50,000 miles on it.

I'd rather have a clone M16 or an UZI than a F150.

The F150 is a consumable, same as a roll of paper towels or a pair of bluejeans.  It's guaranteed to be worth nothing at some point.

The M16 or UZI, on the other hand, is a high end collectable.

Given our bizarre political environment today, I would not have $100K invested in MGs.  

But I'd have the price of a new car wrapped up in them.

You only live once, if you're too careful about everything you'll end up playing computer chess in a football helmet while eating tofu.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Get in where you can and while you can.

I passed up a chance to get an Uzi back in '02 when they were selling for 2K.
And now they are 8K+

NFA rarely gets cheaper...
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL more like 12K now

Quoted:

And now they are 8K+

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And now they are 8K+

View Quote

snicker
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

snicker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And now they are 8K+

snicker

See what I mean??
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

See what I mean??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And now they are 8K+

snicker

See what I mean??

LOL

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And now they are 8K+

View Quote

The list price advertised for years in the inside front cover of SAR was $2995. JLM in NH sold them for $2750, the price I paid in 2000. I was debating getting 2 of them, but ended up getting the one because I had already bought an M60, an MP5SD sear gun and a Colt M16a1.

I would have, but there was no more money...
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, thanks fellas. I kind of needed the encouragement. I was buying for collection, but mostly for fun so ended up with an 86 SWD M-11/9. Even got the whole kit with Lage upper, .22 kit and a bunch of mags and stuff.

Pretty happy about my meager little toy. Now the wait begins. I'm thinking about switching from going the individual route to trust route to expedite the process a bit.

May start saving for something to just oil and love like a Schnelfeuer. Always like those things.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think anyone has mentioned this... It seems to me that if the CLEO signoff requirement for every entity purchasing a MG goes through, that could reduce the pool of buyers. That could be a temporary reduction or permanent. Seems to me that a reduction in buyers would equal falling prices. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top