Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2014 5:29:58 PM EDT
So I'm sure I'm not the only one here that does this, but while my machine gun collection is pretty nice for a normal person, and they are very expensive, my methods of transportation to the range has always been crap. Anything ranging from a $50 range bag, to a damn towel wrapped around the gun.

A couple weeks ago, I decided that it was about time to stop that, and I have bought a Pelican case for every one of my machine guns. I love the cases, but good God, cutting them to fit is the biggest pain in the ass, ever, and it's impossible to make perfect cuts, even with a hot wire cutter.

Anyways, the first one I did was last week, and was for my RDIAS 10.5" AR-15. It turned out nice. Looks terrible when nothing is in it, but when it's loaded, it actually looks pretty nice. Anyways, at the end of the day, it's just to protect the gun and parts anyways, so I guess who cares right?

Today, I just finished my other one, now for the Uzi. It fits the Uzi, 4 9mm mags, a spare 9mm bolt, a spare 9mm barrel (waiting for the barrel to show up, then I'll cut it), a 9mm suppressor, a 22 bolt, a 22 barrel, 4 22 mags, and a 22 suppressor (Waiting for my suppressor to show up, then I'll cut it).

Overall, I'm pleased. Like the AR, it looks awful when empty, but once the parts are in it, it's ok looking, and I still have space for my spare 9mm barrel and my 22lr suppressor to be cut once they both show up. What do you think?

Now I still need to cut a case for the following machine guns.

-AKMSU
-AKS-74U
-HK23E/21E
-HK MP5
-Colt M16 A1 Carbine
-AR15 with 2nd RDIAS
-M60 E6

At the rate I'm going, I'll be done by summer lol. I wish some company could cut these if you gave them your templates.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Try caseclub.com maybe?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try caseclub.com maybe?
View Quote

Thanks! I just sent them an e-mail.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a couple of companies that offer pre cut cases. I've got them for the 60, MP5 and M16's. Some of the others you might have to cut on your own.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try here
View Quote

Perfect!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually have been meaning to finish mine off.  I got a Pelican 1700 case for christmas and haven't cut it yet.  I need to assess what I want to stick in it.  I know that I want to stick my M4-2000 in there, but I can't take it home yet.

I'll eventually get around to it...yours look really good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Great timing - I have been thinking about doing the exact same thing.  Only problem I have is how heavy it might get.  I have a couple of storm cases today and those babies are not something I really want to be carrying back and forth every trip.

Looking forward to seeing more pics, and for your overall opinions/thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I was trying to remember where it was I got mine for cheap, I finally remembered it was DSG Arms. Sign up for their newsletter, I got emails from them a couple of times for blow out on cases. My 60 case was $125 shipped on one of those deals, it was tan which I don't normally care for, but at that price I'll settle. Lol. They also sold me my MP5 case, I want to say it was about the same price.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was trying to remember where it was I got mine for cheap, I finally remembered it was DSG Arms. Sign up for their newsletter, I got emails from them a couple of times for blow out on cases. My 60 case was $125 shipped on one of those deals, it was tan which I don't normally care for, but at that price I'll settle. Lol. They also sold me my MP5 case, I want to say it was about the same price.
View Quote

Yeah I picked up a couple hardigg/storm cases on a super deal several years back.   I know when pelican bought storm, DSG was unhappy.  I didn't get or don't remember the full story, but something about not supporting troops overseas or something... I could be wrong, as it's been at least 4-5 years.   They blew out all their hard cases and I don't think they've ever stocked them again since.  They do carry other brands though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Use an electric carving knife for cutting your foam.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Hard cases are great if you have a giant car, or only take one or two guns to the range at a time.  I started buying hard cases, and realized that except for airline travel, they cause way more problems than they solve...god forbid you want to move that red dot forward on the rail.  I switched to soft cases, and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
foamfittools.com

My whole toolbox is done by these guys.  Pricey but worth every penny
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a thread on here by the members, who made their own cutters and cut out their own cases. It requires some patience, the gun is traced on poster paper, then cut out a little smaller than the outline. The gun cut out and the other cut outs are then arranged on the top foam of the Pelican case held on with push pins. Using the home made cutter which consist of a hot wire powered by a 12 volt transformer. The shapes are carefully cut like a wood shape through a jig saw.

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hard cases are great if you have a giant car, or only take one or two guns to the range at a time.  I started buying hard cases, and realized that except for airline travel, they cause way more problems than they solve...god forbid you want to move that red dot forward on the rail.  I switched to soft cases, and haven't looked back.
View Quote

Im the same way.  If I have to use a case its the cheapest one can buy and if I dont need a case the guns can just ride in the floor or trunk.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There was a thread on here by the members, who made their own cutters and cut out their own cases. It requires some patience, the gun is traced on poster paper, then cut out a little smaller than the outline. The gun cut out and the other cut outs are then arranged on the top foam of the Pelican case held on with push pins. Using the home made cutter which consist of a hot wire powered by a 12 volt transformer. The shapes are carefully cut like a wood shape through a jig saw.  
View Quote

I think you are referencing the cutter by Mark Fingar of LaRue Tactical. Here is his thread on how to make the cutter and how he cuts his foam.
Mark Fingar foam cutting thread
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Those wire cutters is what I used.  Trust me....it's way harder than it sounds.  I found someone that can cut my stuff for me with a laser. so I'm set now!
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Those wire cutters is what I used.  Trust me....it's way harder than it sounds.  I found someone that can cut my stuff for me with a laser. so I'm set now!
View Quote

I used a bread knife. worked fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want someone else to do the work I'd endorse Dulles Case Center - they did a fantastic job on my case with MANY cutouts for my M11/9 (but with two Lage uppers, two supressors, plus drums and magazines).
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
www.sstmfgllc.com

Lots of pics at the FB link.

View Quote

Good find.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

beautiful
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Man, I can not wait for my M60 E6 conversion to get back to me.  I was told it was finished today!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 3:03:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Man, I can not wait for my M60 E6 conversion to get back to me.  I was told it was finished today!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dude, you should have a video already. I look forward to your videos and expect one for the AK47's too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been thinking about some kind of violin case setup for my Micro Galil/Suppressor

Something that doesn't scream "GUN CASE", or "STEAL ME NOW!" like a pelican case tends to do.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have been thinking about some kind of violin case setup for my Micro Galil/Suppressor

Something that doesn't scream "GUN CASE", or "STEAL ME NOW!" like a pelican case tends to do.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag151/theclay10/DSCN0393_zpsebd6a515.jpg

View Quote

Wow!    That is absolutely gorgeous.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#28]
will be getting one of these once i get my SBR, wish i could afford a MG to put in it
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I recently tried this company out, http://www.mycasebuilder.com/

I had a case laying around and before I dropped a lot of money on a custom case I decided to try them out.  They have standard gun patterns or a design your own using a photo and measurements.  This one was a custom size (being a case they do not have in their files) with the stock cut outs.  I jammed too many guns in there and I would recommend using at least 1" between items.  I forgot to give room for magwells etc in my layout.   Cost was $45 delivered.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had a case laying around and before I dropped a lot of money on a custom case I decided to try them out.  They have standard gun patterns or a design your own using a photo and measurements.  This one was a custom size (being a case they do not have in their files) with the stock cut outs.  I jammed too many guns in there and I would recommend using at least 1" between items.  I forgot to give room for magwells etc in my layout.   Cost was $45 delivered.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/supercrewd/Guns%20and%20Ammo/7D8169BE-BE3F-4F5E-8A0F-BD398C4A361F_zps8irhusd2.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, it might be a little close but still - that looks very nice.  I need to get around to doing this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/supercrewd/Guns%20and%20Ammo/7D8169BE-BE3F-4F5E-8A0F-BD398C4A361F_zps8irhusd2.jpg
View Quote

I checked that place out, and it is awesome!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, it looks good.  I need to get some custom cases for my weapons.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#33]
This is how my first Pelican turned out. Used a handheld hot wire knife.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top