Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2016 1:26:20 AM EDT
This is awesome, and I couldn't help but purchase after watching this video.  A little bang on impact does make it a lot more fun.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Little help:
Very cool!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Dupe
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to see a Trump 40mm projo for a 20 gauge 1/2 blank.  Only because I don't have a 60 mm mortar yet.  Very cool video.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
pretty cool
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty cool but I imagine that's a rather expensive toy
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]
That exact kit is on gunbroker now $6K for the M2, and $2400 for 8 new TRUMP rounds

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/609210209

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/609630106
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That exact kit is on gunbroker now $6K for the M2, and $2400 for 8 new TRUMP rounds

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/609210209

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/609630106
View Quote

That's funny, I was actually going to guess it cost about $8k

I would pay about $2k tops. Unless you have access to real HE mortars this thing is just a over priced firework launcher to impress your buddies on the 4th of july.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I am willing to bet it is just so expensive because its a custom job. Looks cool, well made, and a great reusable concept for the mortars..
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
That would be fun.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Less paperwork, what's the cost of a real-deal 60mm HE mortar round?

I realize I know very little about DD laws, especially with explosive ordinance, but wouldn't it be possible (Pending what state you're in) to do a form 1, use a binary compound (Or similar) and have a mostly cheaper , one time use round that'd be way, way, way more fun?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I realize I know very little about DD laws, especially with explosive ordinance, but wouldn't it be possible (Pending what state you're in) to do a form 1, use a binary compound (Or similar) and have a mostly cheaper , one time use round that'd be way, way, way more fun?
View Quote
You could do that, and while the round would be cheaper to make, the $200 tax per round would add up quickly.   Reusable non DD rounds are the only practical way to go.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You could do that, and while the round would be cheaper to make, the $200 tax per round would add up quickly.   Reusable non DD rounds are the only practical way to go.
View Quote
Not to mention having to have an off site ATF inspected bunker to store the HE rounds.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Let me caution you. NEVER use shock sensitive explosives in projectiles. You aren't knowledgeable enough to make that work. I'm not knowledgeable enough to make that work.

Commercially available binary is certainly not the filler you should use in such a round. Most especially not the estimated pound of filler that would almost certainly turn that 60mm barrel into a pipe bomb once dropped.

This is one facet of the DD community I really want to make sure no one cuts corners on. Get your type 20 FEL, build the magazine, be legit. Buy TNT, fill the projo with good HE.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Let me caution you. NEVER use shock sensitive explosives in projectiles. You aren't knowledgeable enough to make that work. I'm not knowledgeable enough to make that work.

Commercially available binary is certainly not the filler you should use in such a round. Most especially not the estimated pound of filler that would almost certainly turn that 60mm barrel into a pipe bomb once dropped.

This is one facet of the DD community I really want to make sure no one cuts corners on. Get your type 20 FEL, build the magazine, be legit. Buy TNT, fill the projo with good HE.
View Quote
Isn't black powder shock sensitive?

I'm pretty sure BP has been used in projectiles for at least a few centuries.

Not suggesting anyone use ANAL or similar in a projectile.  I just think that your statement was a little broad.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are knowledgeable to the point you can quantify exactly how much less shock sensitive filler A is vs filler B and analyze that through the lens of the launching impulse that you also have to know, go for it.

I paint in these generalities only because modern, commercial explosives are very safe. There is a large margin of safety. However, when mistakes are made, there are precious few minor 'oops' moments when dealing with destructive devices and doubly so when it involves explosives on top of it.

The last thing I want to see is someone fragging themselves when they roll the dice on a DIY explosive DD. If you need one, jump through the hoops, get the magazine, cast TNT in the projectile like it was designed for.

The learning curve is quite steep in this hobby.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've read the magazine requirements from years ago and it didn't look too difficult to build/meet their specifications. One thing ive never found was the actual cost of explosive filler. When you've met the requirements , how do you go about ordering TNT?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]
A type 2 outdoor mag can be easily constructed with a Jobox, 4in concrete block and 5/8 plywood. Toss it on a small concrete slab and use a pair of high security padlocks.

As far as ordering explosives, companies crawl FFL and FEL lists and routinely mail out catalogs. There are plenty of companies out there like Omni to order from.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#18]
What I dont get is where are the 20 gauge half bpanks going when these things fire.   Is there a pressure wave that drives the empty hull out of the mortar tube?

It is pretty clear that the mortar pushes the fired blank out the back but the timing of it makes me wonder where the empty hull winds up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:13:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anyone who questions this should check out Grog's warning page.  Fingers and hands are valuable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top