Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2016 3:05:40 AM EDT
New toy we can't have, from South Africa.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/06/truvelo-cms-20x42mm-anti-materiel-rifle/

It fires the same round as the PAW-20 Neopup, only bolt action.

I wish they made a big bore hunting version.  A brass solid or hollowpoint (or buckshot) would be fun from this thing (with 16" or 20" barrel), and keep the local velociraptor problem in check.  Hell, I'll settle for just shooting training rounds.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
HEI, because if you're going to blow it up, you may as well set it on fire too.

-
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HEI, because if you're going to blow it up, you may as well set it on fire too.

-
View Quote

Just think about the Liberal meltdown!

Here's how their heads SPUN over our beloved .50 BMG!

Heat Seeking Bullets
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Way back in the 60s when I was in highschool, a buddy of mine aquired a 20mm bolt action anti tank rifle.
We shot the thing at a old delivery  truck parked on his ranch from about 400 yards w a tracer.

Very cool, it went through the engine block then flew off into the wild blue.

I wonder what ever became of that thing .

Kids don't get to have that much fun these days.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a shame HEI rounds are restricted, would be a blast at the range (no pun intended)
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Subsonic projectile with a 1000m range?

That scope must have a shitton of elevation in it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
When i heard fun size i was thinking pistol version......
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Folded, it's pretty dainty!  ;)
Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Get me an action without a barrel and I'll build one for recreational purposes. Without it being a DD.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get me an action without a barrel and I'll build one for recreational purposes. Without it being a DD.
View Quote

How? Wouldn't the fact that it's 20mm make it a DD?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unless you intend to use them for anti-materiel or anti-personnel use rifles are not DD's regardless of caliber.

ETA:  The Law:

The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

ETA2:  Also direct from the ATFs webpage.

ATF Guide
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unless you intend to use them for anti-materiel or anti-personnel use rifles are not DD's regardless of caliber.
View Quote

Exactly, the law reads that if it is a rifle the owner intends to use for recreational, cultural, or sporting purposes it is not a DD.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have religious cultural reasons that I need that
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Interestingly enough, a china lake 40mm is rifled, and has a stock.  If the barrel was 2" longer you could posses one without it being a DD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Lake_grenade_launcher
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]
How would another 2" affect its status?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How would another 2" affect its status?
View Quote

It would then have over a 16" rifled barrel. So it wouldn't be an SBR, but since it has a rifled barrel and is shoulder fired it wold technically be a large bore rifle.  Then it could fall under the above exemption.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Anything over 1/2" bore is subject to being a DD unless exempted.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Unfortunately this. We don't get to decide what's exempt. The BATFE does.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Ed Hubel (The 12 Gauge From Hell fellow) has gotten a number of big bore rifle wildcats through the sporting exemption process.  JD Jones got that .950 beast a sporting exemption.  
It can be done.

Most >.500" shotgun bores already have sporting exemptions.

10 Gauge is nominally 19.7mm

Develop a 18"+ long rifled slug barrel, and go from there.  
You might have to CNC turn solid slugs, but it can be done.
Or, go 10 Gauge smoothbore, and sabot your slugs.

Either way, you can still fire normal 10 gauge loads, if you chamber it right.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:54:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Subsonic projectile with a 1000m range?

That scope must have a shitton of elevation in it.
View Quote

I heard they just used a m203 red dot quadrant sight.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#21]
OK cool! Didn't know that.

So let's say I'm a small manufacturer just wanting to make a new 12 gauge pump model... Do I need to obtain a sporting exemption prior to putting it into production and marketing it? What is the first step to obtaining that?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK cool! Didn't know that.

So let's say I'm a small manufacturer just wanting to make a new 12 gauge pump model... Do I need to obtain a sporting exemption prior to putting it into production and marketing it? What is the first step to obtaining that?
View Quote

12ga would need a sporting exemption because it is not a rifle. Rifles which are used for recreational purposes and not as weapons do not.

Many posters here cannot grasp that you don't need to apply for a sporting exemption for recreational rifles, provided you don't use it as a weapon.  Often times manufacturers request sporting exemptions out of an over abundance of caution, or because they would rather avoid having to defend whether their rifle is recreational or a weapon.  I have said this before, and they mistakenly continue to insist otherwise.  I'm not ATF, but Ive been through FLETC, I've been to the ATF Academy, I've asked their legal instructors.  I've also spoken to numerous senior people at NFA branch and Supervisory Special Agents at field offices that have worked with my agency.  The only thing keeping me from building a 20mm rifle without a DD stamp is money.  I'd post pics and video to silence the naysayers, but no one wants to "risk" their cash while they think I'd be risking jail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top