Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2016 5:03:08 PM EDT
I recently received my Form 1 to reactivate my Bulgarian RPG-7 with the intent to use it with a Czech subcaliber device.  Does anyone know of someone that can either patch up my existing barrel or machine a new one?   The internet is sparse on manufacturers or design drawings.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
way too late now, but you should have research all this  this before registering it.

I would imagine, if you found someone to make you a tube, that  it would cost you a fortune. finding a top notch welder to weld a thick plate over the hole, then having someone  X-rayed to look for defects in the weld, is probably your only option. good luck
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol.  If you don't know anything about RPG7s, don't offer your pearls of wisdom.

The Czech subcal doesn't pressurize the tube like a live round will.  You could leave the hole in the side, or if it's not under the heat shield, a plug for cosmetic purposes.  Any machinist should be able to fix the firing pin.  I bought spare firing pins, firing pin springs and the retainer somewhere online... maybe Numrich, it's been a while, I don't remember.

I have an RPG2 rewatt project that I have an approved form 1 for, but I've been traveling and haven't had time to throw money at.  Mine is going to fire live rounds... some day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I did a lot of research on reactivating the tube a couple of years ago when I got the RPG and couldn't find too much concrete information other than what you suggested.  I was hoping that there would be new options in the market and just asking around.  Since 41F was coming, I went ahead with filing my Form 1 and having that part of the reactivation process done.   I've got the firing pin kit and I'm aware that that is the minimum amount of work to get the tube ready for the Czech subcaliber unit.  I've got a suppressor manufacturer that would love to do it, but since his business has taken off, he isn't taking any custom work for the time being.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is the hole and crossbar located? For the hole could you have somebody machine a plug and have it TIG welded in then band it if it is under the shield for aesthetics.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not too late at all!  Great project - especially since you already have the sub cal device.

Here is a video of the recoiless RPG launcher (in English) and the sub cal being fired at the end:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/the-ubiquitous-rpg-7-video/
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be reactivating an RPG 2, but I'm just replacing the tube altogether. I'll keep an eye out for RPG 7 data while I research. Do you know a source for any more subcal rockets?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never seen a subcal for the RPG 2, but I've seen three different styles for the RPG7.  One of the styles for the RPG7 is like a bolt action rifle with a folding bolt handle, shaped like a PG7G.. the firing pin activated the trigger.  If I was going to make one, I would make it similar.  It even had a fake launch motor to screw on before loading.

I will be making original style black powder launch motors for mine.  I was able to purchase 200 tail fin assemblies.  I'll be casting the shaped charge section of the projectile out of rubber or similar, and making my own launch motors.  The PG2 uses a straight black powder launch charge, so it will be easy to load compared to a PG7 with a smokeless launch motor and sustainer (rocket) motor.  Mine will be 100% interchangeable with actual PG2 motors, with proper ballistics.  Besides the 'Nerf' projectiles (anatomically correct cast dense foam), I want to 3D print an anatomically correct shaped charge section full of orange chalk, and maybe do one with PD fuze and a spotting charge.

Do you mind telling me where you are having your tube made?  I had a guy set up to make mine, but his day job keeps bumping my project back...it's been delayed over a year now.  I have plenty of money to throw at it, and an approved form 1.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never seen a subcal for the RPG 2, but I've seen three different styles for the RPG7.  One of the styles for the RPG7 is like a bolt action rifle with a folding bolt handle, shaped like a PG7G.. the firing pin activated the trigger.  If I was going to make one, I would make it similar.  It even had a fake launch motor to screw on before loading.

I will be making original style black powder launch motors for mine.  I was able to purchase 200 tail fin assemblies.  I'll be casting the shaped charge section of the projectile out of rubber or similar, and making my own launch motors.  The PG2 uses a straight black powder launch charge, so it will be easy to load compared to a PG7 with a smokeless launch motor and sustainer (rocket) motor.  Mine will be 100% interchangeable with actual PG2 motors, with proper ballistics.  Besides the 'Nerf' projectiles (anatomically correct cast dense foam), I want to 3D print an anatomically correct shaped charge section full of orange chalk, and maybe do one with PD fuze and a spotting charge.

Do you mind telling me where you are having your tube made?  I had a guy set up to make mine, but his day job keeps bumping my project back...it's been delayed over a year now.  I have plenty of money to throw at it, and an approved form 1.
View Quote

I don't have an answer for you...  but I like your style
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#9]
There may be others but the only person ild trust to weld that one back is IRA sellers of big bore llc
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There may be others but the only person ild trust to weld that one back is IRA sellers of big bore llc
View Quote

I'm looking to make a new tube entirely for my RPG2.  I don't want to risk having a marginal weld right by my head.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Excited to see how it turns out for you. Same project in mind. Will be using one of the Czech trainer rockets.

You are much further ahead than me. Hoping to fill out and submit the Form 1 in a few months. Haven't gotten the subcal rocket yet...but have a line on them at a price I'm willing to spend. Lined up a local SOT who is excited to assist once I'm approved.

I have a Bulgarian (Circle 10) launcher. Has the 1/2' rod running thru the firing pin hole and the other side of the barrel and welded in place.

I'll be skipping over the expansion chamber patch. Will have the hole above the firing controls where the 1/2" rod ran through patched for cosmetic reasons.

So....I have some access to property in Southern Oregon with the landowner being overrun with Ground Squirrels. When we get tired of stacking them waist deep...I'll make it a bit more challenging and pull out the RPG-7 and subcal to hunt that way. Should be fun. May even YouTube it. Will be good for some chuckles.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely interested. I'll be getting my RPG2 in late March to start my project.

Squirrel hunting with an RPG. I think that would make a good companion video to my idea to hunt white tail with a 60mm and elk or buffalo with a 203.

Stay tuned for more activity when it comes to destructive devices. My Type 7 FFL (to become type 10 soon after) is in process. This will be fun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Any particular reason some have chosen to rewat an RPG-2 instead of RPG-7?
I've been kicking around the idea of doing one for some time now.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]
RPG2 rounds use a black powder projection charge and no rocket motor. Easier to make rounds for.

RPG7 has subcal rockets available that shoot 7.62x39 rounds. Depends on what you wanna do.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#17]
FYI - There is a sub-cal adapter on gunbroker.  I have no financial interest.  Just thought I might help someone out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]
It's not too late even if he decides to abort. ATF will refund his $200 if he hasn't made the DD and requests a refund.

I have a LAW sub-cal adapter and am interested in rocket recipes. I suppose a hobby rocket engine would be acceptable. What about the spotter charge? Impact detonation?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Progress.

Got a PGO a couple weeks ago and the Czech 7.62x39mm insert this last Saturday.

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Now that's cool!
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Where can one of these sub cal items be bought?
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
They are out there.

I forget which Class III dealer has some.  Originally they were cheap, for some outfit like GPC or Sarco.  You'll pay more for one today though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
RPG7 has subcal rockets available that shoot 7.62x39 rounds. Depends on what you wanna do.
View Quote
What's a setup like this cost?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sure anymore. The Czech subcal devices were cheap and plentiful. Now you have to search and they are pricey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top