Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2016 12:24:33 PM EDT
I was referenced to this newsletter when asking about the Mk-211 .50 Cal Raufoss rounds being reclassified:

JUNE 2013 ATF EXPLOSIVE INDUSTRY NEWSLETTER

I know there are several opinions, but, this is a cite able REFERENCE.

Has there been anything SINCE that has clarified the issue on MK-211 or even TRACERS?

I see alot of tracers for sale, but reading the newsletter kinda says they should be handled otherwise!

~Will

Excerpt:

Exploding
Ammunition Requirements

ATF was recently asked if .50 caliber or smaller
exploding rifle ammunition is exempt as “small
arms ammunition” under the Federal explosives
laws and regulations.

In general, firearms ammunition is an “explosive”
because it typically contains smokeless powder and other
explosive materials. However, 18 U.S.C. §845 generally
exempts small arms ammunition and components thereof
from the provisions of 18 U.S.C., Chapter 40.

ATF has long held that the term “small arms ammunition” pertains
to .50 caliber or smaller rifle or handgun ammunition,
as well as certain shotgun ammunition.

Further, under 27 CFR 555.11, ATF has defined “ammunition” in part,
as “small arms ammunition or cartridge cases, primers,
bullets, or smokeless propellants designed for use in
small arms…”

Accordingly, .50 caliber or smaller rifle
ammunition containing only smokeless powder, primers,
and other items specifically listed as components of small
arms ammunition, is exempt from the Federal explosives
laws and regulations.

In contrast, bullets containing other pyrotechnic mixtures or high explosives (e.g., exploding
ammunition, tracer ammunition, and “spotter” ammunition)
do not meet the definition of “ammunition” under
27 CFR 555.11, and therefore are not exempt as small
arms ammunition.

Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing .50
caliber or smaller ammunition containing explosive
materials other than smokeless propellants or other listed
components designed for use in small arms must have a
license to manufacture explosive materials and abide by
all other requirements imposed on licensed explosives
manufacturers, unless subject to a separate exemption
identified under 18 U.S.C. §845 (e.g., manufacture by
the U.S. military).

Likewise, persons acquiring such
ammunition must have a license or permit unless otherwise
exempt (e.g., a government entity).

Further, such ammunition would be considered “ammunition” under
the Federal firearms laws, 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(A), and
any such projectiles with more than ¼ oz. of explosive
or incendiary charge would be subject to the National
Firearms Act as “missiles,” 26 U.S.C. 5845(f)(1)(D).
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I suppose my biggest questions are:

#1.  Has anyone seen or read of ANY further guidance of this issue?

#2.  I wonder if GRANDFATHERING is applicable to this (headstamp of the casing should be easy enough to prove pre-2013), or is this a blanket interpretation that applies to everyone to be enforced as discovered?

As a hypothetical:  Lets suppose I have a couple boxes of 5.56 tracers (2007 headstamp xM856) - so up until 2013 they were fine to own, possess, store and fire (limitations in Utah) but then after this newsletter they are NOW to be treated as EXPLOSIVE MATERIAL and handled accordingly to include having to get a FEL?

Or does this only apply to newly manufactured?

Curious.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It's amazing how the ATF thinks they can just write a letter and make something illegal without having actually passed a law. This is basically what happened with the m855 ban only the flak they took was so intense they had to back down. This letter doesn't seem to align with the actual law which allows for 1/4 oz or less if HE in rounds 50 cal or smaller and without and justification they have decided that tracers and spotter rounds are not ammo... This is the only defends i know and feel like it would be hard to enforce, especially considering you can still purchase new Manufacturered tracer ammo. Not sure about spotter, incendiary or HE round, can't seem to find new production, not sure if that's something the ATF has cracked down on, there is no demand if companies and just choosing not to sell to the civilian market. Either way people, buy, sell, possess and shoot the stuff everyday and the ATF doesn't have the man power to track down millions of rounds of the stuff. Just cross your fingers for a trump victory which should help keep the ATF in check.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's amazing how the ATF thinks they can just write a letter and make something illegal without having actually passed a law. This is basically what happened with the m855 ban only the flak they took was so intense they had to back down. This letter doesn't seem to align with the actual law which allows for 1/4 oz or less if HE in rounds 50 cal or smaller and without and justification they have decided that tracers and spotter rounds are not ammo... This is the only defends i know and feel like it would be hard to enforce, especially considering you can still purchase new Manufacturered tracer ammo. Not sure about spotter, incendiary or HE round, can't seem to find new production, not sure if that's something the ATF has cracked down on, there is no demand if companies and just choosing not to sell to the civilian market. Either way people, buy, sell, possess and shoot the stuff everyday and the ATF doesn't have the man power to track down millions of rounds of the stuff. Just cross your fingers for a trump victory which should help keep the ATF in check.
View Quote

I know!  Its ridiculous that this law enforcement agency has the ability & leeway to INTERPRET what "IS" and "ISN'T" within the codified law!?!

That's why I am curious about being referred to this and there still being TRACER ammunition that is being produced, bought & sold.

Hence my curiosity if its a GRANDFATHER issue with pre-2013 tracers?

Confusing.

Will
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I know!  Its ridiculous that this law enforcement agency has the ability & leeway to INTERPRET what "IS" and "ISN'T" within the codified law!?!

That's why I am curious about being referred to this and there still being TRACER ammunition that is being produced, bought & sold.

Confusing.

Will
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confusing.

Will

It is confusing and I think the ATF likes to keep it that way, their rulings and laws or always a little bit vague and scary sounding to keep people from trying anything. They themselves often don't know the rules and if you call twice and ask the same question you can get two completely different answers from two different people working there. As for production of ammo I know federal still sells new m856 tracer  ammo, if you could find some with a post 2013 head stamp it would help indicate that atleast the major manufacturers aren't following their ruling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top