Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2016 11:21:53 AM EDT
Does anyone have an M79 and a pair of calipers handy? The following is needed for suitable barrel blanks to be produced for them...

Basically what's needed is the largest dimension from the top lug to the bottom pivot, furthest away. Around 3" minimum, we know that much (thanks Mongo!) but Scot needs a closer idea so he can order stock ASAP and get the next run of larger barrel blanks made.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I checked several and averaged the dimensions.  The specific measurement you show was 2.915".  But if he is starting with a full round barrel blank with the chamber and bore centered, a 3" blank won't cut it.

The barrel locking lug on top finishes about 1.309" from the centerline of the bore to the top.  But the bottom pivot lug measures about 1.606" from centerline to the bottom flat.  Add to that the fact that the lower lug is 1.06" wide, making the maximum dimension from the centerline to the extreme corners about 1.668".  So a round barrel blank with centered bore would have to be at least 3.336" diameter, or better yet rounded up to 3.375".  

I'm sure originals were made from forgings for strength and to reduce waste.  But the cost of a forging die vs. a pile of chips in a modern CNC should make the decision to go with 3 3/8" blanks pretty easy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Perfect, thanks a million!
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey send me your email address and I'll send you the drawings for the M79, it's pg 24-26, they're sort of blurry but you'll figure it out.

William
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I emailed about the blanks but didn't hear back, assumed they would work for m79 which was my intent. Guess count me in for a run on m79 blanks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Any update on reproduction barrels? I am interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top