Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2016 12:29:52 PM EDT
Ok, I know a 20mm requires a tax stamp as it is a DD, a mag fed Anzio is on my bucket list
When it comes to ammo, solid core practice and AP rounds do not require a tax stamp.

But What about 20mm high explosive rounds?
I found somewhere selling what appear to be live 20mm Semi-Armor Piercing Hight Explosivre (SAPHE) rounds.
Would these require a tax stamp for each round or are the rounds small enough that they contain less than the 1/4 oz of explosive Making them not restricted by the ATF? Similar to the variety of 30 and 50 cal HE and incindiary rounds.

And if that's the case at what size round do the restrictions take effect? 25mm, 30mm, 37mm, 40mm?

Thanks!

Edit: never mind, seller contacted me and it appears they are inert. Likely more than 1/4oz of HE anyways.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it has more than 0.25oz of HE compound. Mk 211 has only 1 or 2g IIRC so that's why it's legal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe it has more than 0.25oz of HE compound. Mk 211 has only 1 or 2g IIRC so that's why it's legal.
View Quote

Interesting, I wonder how They are able to sell them than. I emailed them but have not heard back yet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The PGU-28/B has 10 grams per wikipedia.  However, the cite link is broken.  It's possible that the 10 grams is both the HE and incendiary compound.   The actual HE content may be less than 7 grams.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The PGU-28/B has 10 grams per wikipedia.  However, the cite link is broken.  It's possible that the 10 grams is both the HE and incendiary compound.   The actual HE content may be less than 7 grams.
View Quote

I suppose I could always make/load my own HE rounds with just 7 grams in each. Apparently I know where to buy the inert empty rounds
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
20mm is right at the threshold.  Some are over 1/4 oz and DDs, some are under 1/4 oz.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The issue is finding someone willing to sell some...
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The issue is finding someone willing to sell some...
View Quote

This is one of two issues. The other is that 20x102mm must ship by freight as it isn't small arms ammunition, and the prices to freight anything considered explosive (other than 1.4S - which includes 20x102mm with inert projectiles - or 1.4G) can be high. I'm not entirely certain whether 20x102mm would be 1.4B or 1.4D if it was loaded in such a way to have under 7g of HE, but in either case it would be a headache to ship.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top