Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 8:26:57 PM EDT
After 14 stamps I swore I wouldn't venture into this forum (or really the website at all for a while ) but I have to ask, is there anything cool to shoot out of a 37mm launcher other than smoke/flares?

The only cool thing ive really seen is the beehive rounds and this adapter that shot like 10 22lr rounds at a time.. Both of which I never was able to find actual legality info on even if it is a DD.

Even being able to shoot 12ga birdshot from it with an adapter may be worth it (pretty pointless and "just because", but that's really the case with probably 13 of my 14 stamps lol) but there not a lot of info on legality or possibility of that either.

I REALLY do not want to get into reloading yet another round so being able to shoot something I could just buy or easily load would be nice.

Fell me in... Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The "reloading" is dirt easy as compared to rifle and handgun rounds. You pretty much just pour in powder by measure, and push and screw the stuff together.

I like this guys shot wads, and finned payload capsules http://reloadableshells.com/index.php?id_category=7&controller=category

I like these American Specialty Ammo cases better though. Much simpler, all you do is press in a 209 shotgun primer, with a little paper towel to make the primer tight, and it's otherwise one piece, the ReloadableShells ones, you have to mess with blanks and the copper burst-discs etc. which is much more complicated. Although perhaps worth it if you want things to be smokeless and cleaner.

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/37mm_Reloading.html They also have cheaper cardboard payload cups for smoke or fireworks/flare mixes.

You can get smoke mix, and firework "stars" and whatnot from places like here: http://www.skylighter.com/

Also, people on Grog's Launcher forum have occasionally had good luck just finding various Chinese fireworks, smoke bombs, fountains etc. that happen to fit inside various common 26.5mm, 37mm, or even 40mm launcher cases, and you pretty much use them as is, just stuff them in with an appropriate Black Powder or Pyrodex lift-charge, maybe put a cardboard spacer disk in there, glue a little BP onto the fuze to ensure ignition by the lift-charge.
View Quote

Ok so basically you're talking fireworks, which are cool, but what other stuff can I shoot once its registered? And on the firework type loads, isn't it "X" amount of charge is legal? Whats it end up equaling, like a big firecracker?

I ran across this, something that fits well in my "just because" category .. Any other stuff like this? And whats the word on possible 12ga birdshot shells being shot from an adapter? Possible?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I registered mine mostly just to not have to worry about 'gray' areas with some loads (chalk and PVC "recreational" batons).  $200 is a small price to pay to avoid malicious prosecution.  In this case is truely is easier and cheaper to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.

With that said, there are various baton type loads on gunbroker from time to time.  There are also adapters for other calibers.

I cannot find a beehive round in 37mm, but I'll buy one if I do.

I'm also looking for a rifled 20 gauge adapter to shoot those 14.5mm AAA Sims.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
No one currently makes a beehive round for the 37mm, you have to make you own unless you have a 40mm. You can get 12ga adapters and they are fun.
I made a 5 shot beehive for my registered 37mm, as well as a 12ga adapter and 20ga adapter
You can find random things that fit to shoot, but most things require some kind of fabrication.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
You can fire any commercially available 37mm munition out of a registered DD. Gas (OC, CN, CS), rubber/wood baton, rubber buckshot, long and short range smokes of various colors... I've seen all available on Gunbroker at some time. 12ga adapters are available, and yu can always find a machinist to make you any shotgun gauge you desire. I did that 20 years (wow) ago when I bought my 40mm. A good guy made me 410, 20, 16, 12, and 10ga adapters for mine, and i've used them all many times. I don't recommend using the 10ga much, but it works. The world of reloading opens up much more for you, but if you don't want to do it, there are alternatives available. If you want more, I'd go 40mm. Right now there are no commercial 37mm 10/22 or 18/22 adapters on the market, and I don't recommend lathing them down. Hope this helps you, GROG
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of info, thanks. What do most people here have, rail mounted or stand-alone with stock? And whats the average going rate I should look for? Thanks again... tempting...
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No one currently makes a beehive round for the 37mm, you have to make you own unless you have a 40mm. You can get 12ga adapters and they are fun.
I made a 5 shot beehive for my registered 37mm, as well as a 12ga adapter and 20ga adapter
You can find random things that fit to shoot, but most things require some kind of fabrication.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bjgunner/media/12E7F14C-533C-4265-ABB0-C606C1BAA777-17375-00000E5F603E6F12_zps66ce7801.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bjgunner/12E7F14C-533C-4265-ABB0-C606C1BAA777-17375-00000E5F603E6F12_zps66ce7801.jpg</a>

View Quote

I'd like to hear more about this
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can also shoot batons, make big-ass buckshot rounds using the wads/cups on the pages I linked.  You could also just fill the finned capsules with sand to make a big "thumper" baton round.  

As to the destructive device limits, you're limited to 1/4 oz. of explosives in the projectile, or they become DD's themselves. But 1/4oz of black powder is 109.3 grains, which is a pretty beefy powder/bursting charge. You're not limited by weight on smoke or signalling mixtures that create light etc.

Also, CS gas and OC pepper are NOT DD rounds. They're considered to be "defensive". Because in theory, you shoot those near people, and the gas repels them. I know some people have gotten their hands on CS gas powder and made their own gas-grenades.

Like the beehive .22LR rounds, adapters for 12ga for 37mm are scarce, because most of them are unregistered, and they don't want to make products that will unwittingly tempt people into making unregistered DD's, or knowingly tempt them. Although they might make you one if you send a copy of your F1 or F4.

You could also get the LMT bored out to 40mm, if that's one of the makes that has enough "meat" in the barrel. There are SOT's who offer that service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "reloading" is dirt easy as compared to rifle and handgun rounds. You pretty much just pour in powder by measure, and push and screw the stuff together.

I like this guys shot wads, and finned payload capsules http://reloadableshells.com/index.php?id_category=7&controller=category

I like these American Specialty Ammo cases better though. Much simpler, all you do is press in a 209 shotgun primer, with a little paper towel to make the primer tight, and it's otherwise one piece, the ReloadableShells ones, you have to mess with blanks and the copper burst-discs etc. which is much more complicated. Although perhaps worth it if you want things to be smokeless and cleaner.

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/37mm_Reloading.html They also have cheaper cardboard payload cups for smoke or fireworks/flare mixes.

You can get smoke mix, and firework "stars" and whatnot from places like here: http://www.skylighter.com/

Also, people on Grog's Launcher forum have occasionally had good luck just finding various Chinese fireworks, smoke bombs, fountains etc. that happen to fit inside various common 26.5mm, 37mm, or even 40mm launcher cases, and you pretty much use them as is, just stuff them in with an appropriate Black Powder or Pyrodex lift-charge, maybe put a cardboard spacer disk in there, glue a little BP onto the fuze to ensure ignition by the lift-charge.

Ok so basically you're talking fireworks, which are cool, but what other stuff can I shoot once its registered? And on the firework type loads, isn't it "X" amount of charge is legal? Whats it end up equaling, like a big firecracker?

I ran across this, something that fits well in my "just because" category .. Any other stuff like this? And whats the word on possible 12ga birdshot shells being shot from an adapter? Possible?
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/armorgod/40mmBeehiveRound.jpg

You can also shoot batons, make big-ass buckshot rounds using the wads/cups on the pages I linked.  You could also just fill the finned capsules with sand to make a big "thumper" baton round.  

As to the destructive device limits, you're limited to 1/4 oz. of explosives in the projectile, or they become DD's themselves. But 1/4oz of black powder is 109.3 grains, which is a pretty beefy powder/bursting charge. You're not limited by weight on smoke or signalling mixtures that create light etc.

Also, CS gas and OC pepper are NOT DD rounds. They're considered to be "defensive". Because in theory, you shoot those near people, and the gas repels them. I know some people have gotten their hands on CS gas powder and made their own gas-grenades.

Like the beehive .22LR rounds, adapters for 12ga for 37mm are scarce, because most of them are unregistered, and they don't want to make products that will unwittingly tempt people into making unregistered DD's, or knowingly tempt them. Although they might make you one if you send a copy of your F1 or F4.

You could also get the LMT bored out to 40mm, if that's one of the makes that has enough "meat" in the barrel. There are SOT's who offer that service.

Have any videos to convince me that 1/4oz is enough?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
-snip-
View Quote

Any tips or recommendations for SOTs that do this? I have an approved F1 for a 37mm to go 40mm and would like to do this, or have a 40mm barrel fabricated for it.

I am in the Midwest if that helps. TIA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top