Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2016 8:13:45 PM EDT
I have been thinking about building a mortar for a little while now. With 41P going through I was thinking about efiling a form 1 so that I have approval out of the way.

I have a few questions since this is my first non-SBR/Suppressor NFA item:
-A mortar is considered a "DD" correct?
-Is there any reason I can't e-file a form 1 DD?
-Is the process of filling out the form 1 for a DD that you intend to make the same as doing a SBR? I ask this because I seem to recall people building suppressors thinking they can't make a suppressor longer than they listed on their form. Is there any restrictions like this for building a mortar?
-If I get approval, but don't build the mortar for ~1 year is there anything wrong with that?
-Anything else I should be aware of before going down this path?

Its a lot harder to find DD NFA information than common things like SBRs and suppressors so I just want to make sure I do this right since I might only get once chance before 41P kicks in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been thinking about building a mortar for a little while now. With 41P going through I was thinking about efiling a form 1 so that I have approval out of the way.

-Is the process of filling out the form 1 for a DD that you intend to make the same as doing a SBR? I ask this because I seem to recall people building suppressors thinking they can't make a suppressor longer than they listed on their form. Is there any restrictions like this for building a mortar?
-If I get approval, but don't build the mortar for ~1 year is there anything wrong with that?

Its a lot harder to find DD NFA information than common things like SBRs and suppressors so I just want to make sure I do this right since I might only get once chance before 41P kicks in.
View Quote

Yes if using fixed ammo.
No
No
Don't know.
Make sure you also follow state and local laws.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You should probably join Grog's forum.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes if using fixed ammo.
No
No
Don't know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes if using fixed ammo.
No
No
Don't know.

What is the difference between the SBR form and the Mortar F1? Also, what is the relevant information I need to provide. Caliber 60mm/1m length? Would it be better to be bigger on these measurements or exact?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Joined...It looks like they are mostly a grenade launcher group, but I will check them out when my account is approved. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Joined...It looks like they are mostly a grenade launcher group, but I will check them out when my account is approved. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ben,

I have two buddies that are both here and on Grog's who have built multiple mortars on Form 1s, including an M224. Interestingly enough, all three of us (you making number 4) are named Ben.  I  did my last two DDs on eForm1, one of which was a mortar. I'd be happy to help you out however I can.  I'm about to board an aircraft and will be out of pocket for a few days shooting things and playing warfighter.  Send me a PM if you want so I remember to hit you up when I am back.

Cheers,

Ben
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ben,

I have two buddies that are both here and on Grog's who have built multiple mortars on Form 1s, including an M224. Interestingly enough, all three of us (you making number 4) are named Ben.  I  did my last two DDs on eForm1, one of which was a mortar. I'd be happy to help you out however I can.  I'm about to board an aircraft and will be out of pocket for a few days shooting things and playing warfighter.  Send me a PM if you want so I remember to hit you up when I am back.

Cheers,

Ben
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ben,

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks Ben! IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What is the difference between the SBR form and the Mortar F1? Also, what is the relevant information I need to provide. Caliber 60mm/1m length? Would it be better to be bigger on these measurements or exact?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes if using fixed ammo.
No
No
Don't know.

That whole length issue is a myth.  Just list the length you plan to make it.  If it ends up longer or shorter, you can notify the ATF.

The Silencer length thing concerns repairs, not building.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks Ben! IM sent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ben,

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks Ben! IM sent.

I'm one of the other Bens.  I'm the one with the M2 mortar and frag grenade.  Can't help you with the M224, but can help with an M2 build.  Or a frag build.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not set on the 224 if the M2 would be easier to find information on I may go that route.

Wingnut, Do you know of any place to buy training rounds? That is my biggest concern at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not set on the 224 if the M2 would be easier to find information on I may go that route.

Wingnut, Do you know of any place to buy training rounds? That is my biggest concern at the moment.
View Quote

Working on that issue myself.  The M2 is infinitely easier to build and maintain.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

View Quote

There is a source for training rounds, although they aren't full range, and while reusable, they are expensive if you lose them.  I've been working several sources for new, cheaper training projectiles. Try CDVS for training rounds. You can reload them with a 28ga blank.

M2 mortars are most definitely cheaper (by thousands of dollars), simpler, and easier to find accessories and parts for.  I am also working on updating the M2 mortar design to an M2A1 design- which will be cheaper, lighter, and have better range.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top