Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2015 8:21:33 PM EDT
So, this forum has got me wanting to do more damage to my wallet.  I've decided I'd like to purchase a M203.  Based on this site:
States that allow DD's
it appears that I can legally purchase one here in the great state of SC.  While there are numerous places to buy silencers and whatnot, I have not been able to find a place to transfer a DD.  So my first question is, does anyone know where someone in SC can purchase a M203?

I do own other NFA items, but this is my first time with a DD.  I'd appreciate any advice those here can offer.
Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm afraid I can't offer much advice, except maybe enough to help get you started...
First, I would call ATF (seriously ) and ask them to list for you all of the type 09 and 10 FFL's in SC. There may be zero. That's ok...
Try these online lists:

http://rkmerting.com/south-carolina-gun-shops/

http://carolinaguntrusts.com/sc-class-iii-dealers/
Even if there are no DD FFL's, call around and see if anyone is knowledgeable about M203 sales. You'll probably get tired of doing this, and get asked if you want a flare launcher unbearably, but you may strike gold.
If you don't strike gold, pick your favorite "normal" class II or III SOT, and advise them that it is OK with the ATF if they transfer one DD per year, especially if there are no DD SOT dealers in your area. This would work just as if they were a DD SOT for the purposes of this once annual transfer. When the place with the DD you want sends in the Form 3 to ATF, just have the sender/transferor include a note on the transferee's (the incoming SOT you're using as a dealer) letterhead stating that the DD is for you, their customer, and you wish to have it transferred to you on a Form 4 for individual use, and this will be their once annual DD transfer. (It may help for the shop to call NFA Branch and have a chat with whomever  their normal examiner is.)
That's pretty much it. You can have a DD shipped to them from any state, new from LMT, etc.
The other path you could take to M203 ownership would be purchasing a receiver without a barrel (this would just be a normal Title I firearm), do the 4473 (as "other") for it, then file a Form 1 to make a DD yourself. You'd then have to engrave the receiver with your making info, but once approved, just order a 40mm M203 barrel and slide it right on there. If you can find a reasonably priced smooth bore 37mm M203 barrel (and good luck with that ) in the meantime, then you could certainly play with that until your F1 comes back approved. Don't own a 40mm barrel for it until then though.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If you go here, you can download the list of all FFL's by state in XLS and TXT format. I'm not seeing any Type 9's in SC. There are some 10's and 11's but I'm not sure if they can deal/transfer too or if they'd even want to. If you have excel, you can sort them by FFL type. You'll have to use the files from April, as the May ones don't exist yet.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/listing-FFLs
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help.  I may go to a gun shop that I frequent.  They know me by name (I feel like Norm on Cheers whenever I walk in).  They sell silencers so I may ask them if they can help me with a DD.

Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They know me by name (I feel like Norm on Cheers whenever I walk in)...
View Quote
Haha nice!
jrpett, thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for earlier. You're right; there are no 09 FFL's in SC. Of the few Types 10 & 11 listed, they could act as dealers if they want to.
Here are the 10's (manufacturers):

FNH USA (who recently changed their name to FN America LLC)

DSE Systems LLC, Gaffney, SC 29340

General Dynamics

American Tactical Imports, 231 Deming Way, Summerville, SC 29483 (585) 328-0945
The following have a Type 11 (importer):

M G SUBER & ASSOCIATES LLC, 3830 FOREST DR, STE 207, Columbia, SC 29204 (803) 760-7008

PLATTMOUNTS-USA INC, 405 JESSEN LANE STE D, Wando, SC 29492 (843) 971-4256

PTR INDUSTRIES INC, 101 COOL SPRINGS DR, Aynor, SC 29511 (860) 676-1776
I put the phone numbers of the ones which may possibly be of some service to you. Good luck!

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i went the route like Kitbuilder mentioned, picked up a non-barreled receiver from Clydes and did a F1, engrave the barrel if you don't want to mark the receiver. Going that route was actually cheaper than buying it DD right off the bat.

William
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i went the route like Kitbuilder mentioned, picked up a non-barreled receiver from Clydes and did a F1, engrave the barrel if you don't want to mark the receiver. Going that route was actually cheaper than buying it DD right off the bat.

William
View Quote

Honestly, if there wasn't a stocking dealer nearby, that's what I would do too. By doing a Form 1, you knock off the time and additional $200 of a second transfer (the initial transfer from dealer to dealer or manufacturer to dealer.) I think the tax only applies if it is a non DD dealer doing one of his 2 lifetime DD transfers as previously mentioned but I'm not certain about that. But then you will have to find an engraver and the cost associated with that, but in the end, going the Form 1 route will save time & money. I did the Form 1 route years ago with a Randy Shivak receiver when that was the only name in town other than spending 5K on a real Colt.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checked Clyde Armory's website and they have both rail mounted and barrel mounted M203 Title-1 receivers available! Buy one, Form-1 it, and purchase barrel from Clyde or LMT once Form-1 is approved.

LMT-M203 Title-1 Receiver
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just checked Clyde Armory's website and they have both rail mounted and barrel mounted M203 Title-1 receivers available! Buy one, Form-1 it, and purchase barrel from Clyde or LMT once Form-1 is approved.

View Quote

Thanks for the link.  I was wondering about how to find one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered one, picked it up today, and immediately filed a Form 1. It effortlessly fit onto my Daniel Defense RIS II. This thing is going to be sweet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#10]
It seems they charge quite a premium for simply removing the barrel. I prefer factory engraving, especially if it's cheaper. I know prices have risen, but when I ordered mine from LMT in 2010, I paid $995. That was dealer price back then.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top