Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2015 3:09:22 PM EDT
So I've got me a little problem, schee?
I've got myself a busted deftech 37mm rotary launcher. It's NOT a DD, but i figured my predicament might be best helped by the 37mm/40mm aficionados on here.  

Now I'm not too keen on the actual nomenclature of the parts within so I will describe them to the best of my ability.
And just a little on how the launcher works to my understanding: The cylinder has 6 detents on it that stop the cylinder from directly lining up with the barrel.  When the trigger is pulled, an indexing detent on the rear of the drum retracts and the cylinder lines up with the barrel.  The double action hammer falls, the round fires, and when the trigger is released the indexing detent moves back forward, pushing on the detent on the cylinder which passes over a "ramp" on the rear of the drum and the cylinder's spring tension brings the next chamber around whereupon it is stopped by the indexing detent and the process repeats. The first few minutes or so of this youtube video of one might better help to explain the mechanism. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMzeIyqHW4Y

When I was letting the cylinder index with some new shells I got the other day, the exposed part of the indexing detent broke off, presumably after years or so of being smacked by the cylinder detents. (I have no idea just how old this launcher actually is. It was cerakoted and came with the tri-rail when I bought it.)  Now since it can't push in the detents on the cylinder, the cylinder won't index. So my question is, what can I do to get a replacement part or fix the old part?  My understanding is that if you aren't MIL/LE the manufacturer won't even talk to you.  (I haven't tried yet but I've got a hunch that's how it'd go)  So anybody out there who might be a little more knowledgeable on these things, if you could help my out and get my thumper thumpin' again, it would be much appreciated. Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
" />
Now with 100% more pictures! Ain't she a beaut?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Here is a picture of the broken detent. The rough part is about the shape of the bit that broke off.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Here's another picture of the detent.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't look like it'd be all that hard to turn a new one, maybe 30min of work once you get the broken one removed.

Best of luck finding a DD friendly smith to help with that though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Might be worth posting this on Grog's board.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
bradcliff10 is in the process of working on one of those, he might have a source for parts, or at least the parts list. his thread about his launcher is on the next page
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't even know his forum was still active. I may mosey my way over there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top