Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2015 9:26:21 PM EDT
I recently added an RPG seven to my inert ordnance collection of rocket/missile launcher and other related items.  My collection is mainly focused on the variety of disposable single use launchers and bazookas so this is my first RPG-7.  Does anyone have any information about it?  I was told it was Soviet by the collector I purchased it from but nothing else beyond that.  It appears to be in very good shape with a very good finish on it.  The serial number is stamped on everything(even inside the trigger mechanism) and all the parts match.  All I can really tell at this point is that it was made in 1987.  There are inspector marks on most parts that are numbers inside of either a triangle, oval, star, rectangle, or hexagon.  I haven't seen a double circle 10 to indicate that it is Bulgarian.  Another thing I noticed is the heat shields on the back, which appear to be Bakelite, don't appear to cover as much as the ones in pictures I have seen. Those pictures of RPG-7's appear to show the heat shields reaching from the back swing ring all the way up to the optics rail.  

Any info you guys know about it?  You're some pictures that I took. I tried to take them at angles so that the inspector's marks would show up.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My initial guess is Bulgarian, but the heat shield look more like the Chinese ones I have. And the heat shields look to be in the same position as my samples. Itis interesting that they are missing the factory codes though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been trying to do a little bit of research in the last couple hours to educate myself. I don't know how accurate this is but I think maybe these heat shields are a newer ribbed version that came out in the mid 90s and it appears that the RPG itself is a newer variation because the support handle is mounted directly to the optics rail.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice RPG Launcher.  It is actually in very nice shape compared to the ones imported from Israel lately.

If I had to guess Bulgarian would be the source due to the lettering and proofs, but it is missing the factory code.  Most Bulgarian RPGs have some of the same lettering, but lack the Russian style proofs and inspections marks on the major parts. I could b wrong though - but you can look yourself on some of the European DEWAT/DEMILL Militaria sites.

The heatshield looks'very nice but does not match the grips from the trigger group or support grip - as the trigger group is usually, but not always, polished bright on the side on the Russian/Bulgarian RPGs from that time frame  I have handled in Iraq and UAE for training perposes.  

From talking with a Navy EOD Chief I know who has several of these launchers in his training cadre/reference collection - your launcher has the newer Russian phenolic style heatshield.

It is still a nice one and if you dont have the optics and Russian style sling and muzzle caps, you need to get on acquiring some to make it complete.  Hard to justify spending the coin on a RPG, but they do look great hanging on the wall or in the corner of your gun room.  I had a lightly Inerted Russian RPG-7D for a time in the corner of my office at a Naval Base that was turned in by a Navy SEAL, who found it stashed in a pallet of his Teams gear being returned from a European Training Mission.  Folded up it could fit in a small 3 day pack and still snap together within 45 seconds by someone who knew what they were doing - neat collectible item!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice RPG Launcher.  It is actually in very nice shape compared to the ones imported from Israel lately.

If I had to guess Bulgarian would be the source due to the lettering and proofs, but it is missing the factory code.  Most Bulgarian RPGs have some of the same lettering, but lack the Russian style proofs and inspections marks on the major parts. I could b wrong though - but you can look yourself on some of the European DEWAT/DEMILL Militaria sites.

The heatshield looks'very nice but does not match the grips from the trigger group or support grip - as the trigger group is usually, but not always, polished bright on the side on the Russian/Bulgarian RPGs from that time frame  I have handled in Iraq and UAE for training perposes.  

From talking with a Navy EOD Chief I know who has several of these launchers in his training cadre/reference collection - your launcher has the newer Russian phenolic style heatshield.

It is still a nice one and if you dont have the optics and Russian style sling and muzzle caps, you need to get on acquiring some to make it complete.  Hard to justify spending the coin on a RPG, but they do look great hanging on the wall or in the corner of your gun room.  I had a lightly Inerted Russian RPG-7D for a time in the corner of my office at a Naval Base that was turned in by a Navy SEAL, who found it stashed in a pallet of his Teams gear being returned from a European Training Mission.  Folded up it could fit in a small 3 day pack and still snap together within 45 seconds by someone who knew what they were doing - neat collectible item!
View Quote

Any recommendations of places to ask, other than BOCN?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a good place to start: http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1042

It is just a primer on the RPG launcher types.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/rpg-7.pdf

Some of the Army, Navy, USAF and Marine Corps vets who have been in country would be your best sources since most have handled dozens of these in country.

Most of the black finished trigger groups were from Bulgaria, and the rear heat shield is distinctive in itself as an identifier.

Since the markings are Cyrillic that narrows it further - Russian Arsenals mark their parts with specific arsenal logos, which are not present with yours.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:13:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's some updates about information I found. Much of this confuses the issue more than necessarily helping clear things up.

There are marks all over the tube, sights, trigger housing, etc.  These are basically numbers inside of shapes.   From what I understand these are typical of Soviet production items and are inspector/factory marks.  The serial number matches not only all of the trigger housing parts (including all the internals), but also the support handgrip that is attached to the rail, the sights(both front and rear), and the front and rear site guards.

I posted pictures of this on BOCN and only got one person to reply. They checked with their friend who is located in Ukraine and he said that my RPG was made by Kovrovsky Mechanical Factory.  I'm not sure exactly how he came up with this but supposedly for a short time this particular factory made RPG's without a factory marking on the trigger housing.  So that answers the question of why there isn't a factory marking on my trigger housing.  

Also from doing online research I discovered that there is usually a tube serial number underneath the heat shields in the back, which is an area I hadn't checked before.  From taking off my heat shields I was able to find markings underneath there. I have posted pictures of those markings below.  I don't know if the tube markings are supposed to match up with the serial number that is on all of the other parts but it does not.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks to be a in good shape. Just out of curiosity where do you get one these? What did you pay?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I got this one from another collector but these pop up for sale on gun broker often and currently Numrich is selling some that they have imported.  Values can vary widely depending on rarity. The ones that were recently imported are much more common then other variations and so are currently cheaper.  Numrich prices start at $699
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Do these have a pin welded in the bore or is it just the hole cut into the tube? I was wondering if one of the inert rockets like this would fit or do you have to cut off a part of the rocket/booster to properly insert it?
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1365810.htm
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The PNR-7B makes me think it is a Russian the only thing missing is the oval arrow factory stamp
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The PNR-7B makes me think it is a Russian the only thing missing is the oval arrow factory stamp
View Quote

That would correspond to what I had posted above. Somebody in the Ukraine said that at least the trigger housing and other serial number parts were made at the particular factory I wrote about above. It is a factory that made arms for Russia/Soviet Union.  Evidently, according to this guy, that particular factory left the factory marking blank during the time period that this was made.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do these have a pin welded in the bore or is it just the hole cut into the tube? I was wondering if one of the inert rockets like this would fit or do you have to cut off a part of the rocket/booster to properly insert it?
View Quote

It is demilled so I wouldn't be able to mount one of those inert rockets.  However, I am planning to submit a form 1 for this so then I can remove all of the demill things and return it to original condition legally.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It is demilled so I wouldn't be able to mount one of those inert rockets.  However, I am planning to submit a form 1 for this so then I can remove all of the demill things and return it to original condition legally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a different tube?

I wouldn't shoot a PG-7 out of a rewelded tube.  Just me though.  my vocation allowed me to shoot plenty, they just were NOT that nifty.  But I was getting paid to shoot them, not the other way around.

Do you have rockets or munitions to fire out of it, or just doing a form 1 because $200 is couch cushion cash?

EDITED: Read below, sounds like a plan!   GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

With a different tube?

I wouldn't shoot a PG-7 out of a rewelded tube.  Just me though.  my vocation allowed me to shoot plenty, they just were NOT that nifty.  But I was getting paid to shoot them, not the other way around.

Do you have rockets or munitions to fire out of it, or just doing a form 1 because $200 is couch cushion cash?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a different tube?

I'm not concerned about having the demil hole in the high-pressure area repaired to be able to handle the same force as a real round because I don't plan on ever shooting a real RPG round in it. They are next to impossible to get a hold of.  I do plan on making the firing pin active after my form 1 is back and using the RPG to shoot those 7.62x39 training adaptors out of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Any pics of how they demil these?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any pics of how they demil these?
View Quote

Demil the RPG-7 tubes?  The main part of any reloadable DD demil is to have a hole cut in the high pressure area of tube that is equal or larger than the size of the bore.  Depending on the age of the demil and the item being demilled, there are often other requirements like welding a rod or plate to prevent a round from being loaded.  Many RPG's that have been imported in the last couple decades have that rod welded though the firing pin hole and across the tube.  Other types of DD items, like the Spanish bazookas, have a plate welded over the breach to prevent a round from being loaded.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#17]
agb104983

Finally found some approved BATF Form 3's by a local Class 10 manufacturer on RPGs.

Length of barrel was 39 inches, overall length was 39 inches, caliber was listed as 37 MM versus stats as 40mm.  Model was listed as RPG-7V.

Another set of paperwork on a RPG-&D manufactured by Neil Smith of Mentor, OH back in the 1980s shows the diameter/caliber as 37mm also.

The custody card on a command registered war trophy RPG-7 made by China (launcher is really a Russian one) has the stats as length 37.4 inches, caliber 40mm.  That is also listed on a English manual I have copies of and two sets of User guide style articles I have also.  

Sorry it took so long.

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top