Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2015 3:46:32 PM EDT
I know this is a highly subjective question, but I'm curious for those who have 40mm M203s, do you get a kick out of shooting chalk rounds?  I've never fired a M203, but watching a few videos, even the chalk rounds look pretty entertaining.  I'm just not sure for how long.  Will this be a novelty that quickly becomes dull?

As a collector/enthusiast, it seems to make sense to have one AR configured with a M203, but for $1800+ I would hope for it to bring a smile to my face and others a few times a year.

I guess bottom line, are they fun?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I enjoyed the shit outta shooting my 203 in Army but those rounds had a little more bang.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Ha, I can only imagine!  The more vids I watch the more I'm leaning towards it.  At least the orange cloud seems to give decent visual feedback.  I suppose if the recoil is the same then aiming and firing is going to be as realistic as it gets...without the boom of course.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a m203.  I have a 37mm Cobray "flare" launcher (actually I have 3). It's fun to shoot bird bombs out of. Looks just like a m203, but non nfa and easier to find ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It's really cool, but it's expensive.  You just have to have a boner for a '203.

You'll be pushing $2K just to join the club, then you've got to feed it.  If you've got the coin, and the boner, there is no question.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]
If we could own the frag rounds i would have one, but several thousand dollars just to shoot chalk rounds? No thanks! Ill use that money on other NFA items like suppressors or towards MG.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I think approaching this from a utility standpoint is probably the wrong answer.  

It has to be a labor of love, and something that you'll just enjoy owning regardless if you're getting enough "use" out of it to justify the price - the same reason that people spend the sums of money they do on building MP5, UMP, and G36 clones - could you argue that the weapon systems themselves are "better" in an absolute sense than other, non-HK, more accessible available options?  Sure.  

"Better enough" to justify ~$3K+ on a relatively "run of the mill" PCC or 5.56MM carbine?  Probably not.  

Then again, I own none of these things... But I do eventually really want to get an M203.

I think for "most" civilian M203 owners, there are shades of nostalgia involved in the purchase and ownership of one as well, I know there will be for me.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Another option would be to get a 37mm launcher and play with that for awhile. If after awhile you still want to go full scale then so be it, but the 37mm are substantially less expensive and require none of the paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate everyone's feedback.  It has helped for sure.  I guess I'm looking for something to diversify the collection a bit, instead of another rilfe or pistol variant, and a M203 would definitely add some spice.  I'm probably like everyone else who's interested in these...yeah there's nothing practical about them but they sure look the part!

I've looked at the 37mm before, and the Cobray actaully looks pretty good.  But I think I'll just get the pain over with and go for the 40mm, mainly to beat the 41p deadline, if it goes into effect.  Still hopeful it won't, but I don't want to risk missing out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I use mine as a handheld shotgun mostly, pending pics of a jackrabbit kill. The spread is surprisingly tight at 25 yards. The joy just comes from showing people how NFA works, nothing educates the "You can't buy those" folks faster than seeing a can or 203 and explaining the process.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The joy just comes from showing people how NFA works, nothing educates the "You can't buy those" folks faster than seeing a can or 203 and explaining the process.
View Quote

I have to admit, that is definitely part of the appeal!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate everyone's feedback.  It has helped for sure.  I guess I'm looking for something to diversify the collection a bit, instead of another rilfe or pistol variant, and a M203 would definitely add some spice.  I'm probably like everyone else who's interested in these...yeah there's nothing practical about them but they sure look the part!

I've looked at the 37mm before, and the Cobray actaully looks pretty good.  But I think I'll just get the pain over with and go for the 40mm, mainly to beat the 41p deadline, if it goes into effect.  Still hopeful it won't, but I don't want to risk missing out.
View Quote

Well you can always move to Ohio. As of right now i think we are the only state that has a "Shall" sign for NFA items instead of a "May" sign. Which the fear of not getting CLEO sign off is the main fear of 41P from what i understand.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it worth it? YES!! And chalk rounds?Yeah right.  Make your own, set back fuzes aren't that hard to make, centrifugal are even easier. Make your own smoke, flash bang, pop, and buckshot. You're only limited by your imagination, and machining of course    And yeah that whole 1/4 oz. ATF total explosive weight and being anti-personal, but the rounds can still be fun, especially on the 4th.

William

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#13]
As others have posted, you can fire a lot more than chalk out of them... Check out the CANNON rounds on gunbroker... Flechettes, buck, frangible shot, and so on... Yes, 40mm is very much fun, especially when you make your own. I personally have a lot invested in the 40mm area, two M203s, and an M79, so yes, I am partial. GROG
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I did end up taking the plunge!  Should be picking up the receiver Saturday, then I'll submit the Form 1 right away.  I haven't done a whole lot of research into the other kind of shells, but I think I better get on that  I did stumble across your site Grog and it looks like I need to order up one of your CDs.

Are there shells readily available that simply make a loud boom, or do you typically have to reload those?  Too bad you can't have a chalk round that has an audible bang at the end....or can you?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#15]
If you can pop off the gold top rounds it's sweet.
Flares & smoke, not so much.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you can pop off the gold top rounds it's sweet.
Flares & smoke, not so much.
View Quote

So you don't have one then?  You just got to 'play with one' while you were in the military...Amiright?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Take a visit to my safety page for the reason you don't want to make anything that explodes... There are plenty of other safe rounds to construct that will provide you with much pleasure, and no pain. GROG
http://www.freewebs.com/grog/safety1.htm

As a PS, I've had a lot of guys thank me for that page, and letting me know that they were heading down the wrong road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top