Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2014 6:18:24 PM EDT
For X-mas Santa bought me a 9" Havoc and folding stock set.  I ordered a ton of cases/reloading parts from American Specialty ammo and when I primer the plastic cases the Spike's won't close.  The metal shells do.  The primers don't sit flat as there is no pocket for their rims.  Any tricks I missed?  I also noticed the rims are thicker on the plastic shells.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I didnt have a problem with my launcher..but i have a break-open Def-Tek.  i would think that countersinking the area of the primer pocket shouldnt be an issue just to get the primers flush
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didnt have a problem with my launcher..but i have a break-open Def-Tek.  i would think that countersinking the area of the primer pocket shouldnt be an issue just to get the primers flush
View Quote

^This is what I was going to recommend.

Just like reloading any other round the primers should be just below flush, not protruding out of the case at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just like reloading any other round the primers should be just below flush, not protruding out of the case at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesnt make a difference with any hinged launcher, but i could see how it might be a problem with a sliding barrel system like Spikes, or the Cobray knock-offs
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, but I am not sure even that will make up for the difference with the rim size of the plastic vs Aluminum.  It's almost double.  Is American Specialty ammo not a good place to buy from? Other issue I had was the the aluminum shells have different sized primer pockets and half fit "ok" and half fall out.  I wrote them and they claim it's by design and to use tissue to hold in the primer?????
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, but I am not sure even that will make up for the difference with the rim size of the plastic vs Aluminum.  It's almost double.  Is American Specialty ammo not a good place to buy from? Other issue I had was the the aluminum shells have different sized primer pockets and half fit "ok" and half fall out.  I wrote them and they claim it's by design and to use tissue to hold in the primer?????
View Quote

AFAIC all of the Yellow plastic cases have the same Dimensions..there are a couple of other case designs out there, but i havent used them.  I would PM Grog, he's the 37mm Guru
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the same aluminum cases. The primer pockets and internal dimensions do vary. They reccomend using a piece of paper towel or paper to make a snug fit. I have done it and it works. For the yellow plastic ones you should be able to push the primer fairly flat agains the back of the case. I have the 12" slide barrel and have had no issues with high primers not allowing for the tube to lock.

MAHA
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Ill recommend reloadableshells.com.  The 37mm I use are $23 a piece, but completely worth it.  The work great in my Def-tech and I can see them lasting a very long time.

I know the plastic shells are alluring due to their availability and price, but I can't see those lasting more than a few loadings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top