Posted: 12/2/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
are these regulated? DD?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, not by federal regulation.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Flamethrowers are "agricultural implements" not firearms, and are thus not regulated in any way.

Though I guess they are self regulating in that if you use/build one wrong you can end up covered in burning fuel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, even restored military flamethrowers are not regulated in any way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:18:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Not regulated, but not sure why you would want to use one either.

Maybe if you wanted to burn some weeds.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because:

Historical value,
technological marvel,
FIRE!,
Freedom Bonerz!

What is the cause of your uncertainty?

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." ~George Carlin~

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one. The only negative thing about LA NFA registration going away is that I'll never have a registered flamethrower here. That's ok though, I don't want those regulations back. lol

I suppose the safest way to operate one would be from within a fire proximity suit, but that would be really uncomfortable except in the cold months. I think after a thorough technical inspection, I'd just take my chances. It's much safer than the 2-way ranges our forefathers used them on.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Already stated, not regulated by the ATF and not considered a FIREarm (still entertains me); however, get your wallet out: a good, safe one would cost you $10k+ if you can even find one for sale (don't come up regularly). Not too mention, you would be owning a 70 year old piece of equipment, that's alot of explosives and a weapon failure would be catastrophic.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Already stated, not regulated by the ATF and not considered a FIREarm (still entertains me); however, get your wallet out: a good, safe one would cost you $10k+ if you can even find one for sale (don't come up regularly). Not too mention, you would be owning a 70 year old piece of equipment, that's alot of explosives and a weapon failure would be catastrophic.
View Quote

Valid.  IMO, there is only one avenue that I would trust if getting a flamethrower, or having it checked to ensure it's GTG... Charles Hobson.

Charles' website *Clicky thing right here*

Charles Hobson in Small Arms Review. Japanese Type 100 Flamethrower
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Weren't some of them surplussed after ww2 to wildland fire agencies and farmers?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Teach a man to build a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Weren't some of them surplussed after ww2 to wildland fire agencies and farmers?
View Quote

Yes, many surplus units were given to farmers for land management (burning brush).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top