Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 10:10:42 PM EDT
Help me out guys.  I'm looking for a specific ATF ruling or letter to reference that the 1/4 ounce burst charge includes the booster propellant. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that there is no interpretation in writing on this.  I think that everyone includes the propellant to be on the safe side.

I could be wrong, however.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
From The "Federal Firearm Regulations Reference Guide"
Page 5, 921-1
(4) The term "destructive device"
means—
(A) any explosive, incendiary, or
poison gas—
(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
(iv) missile(Projectile) having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
(v) mine, or
(vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;

The way I see it, IANAL, They are on 2 separate lines so they are separate.  The ATF also defines Missile as Projectile.  I have been looking into this recently as well.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Maha:

I'm read it as such as well, implying two different criteria that is independent of each other.  What does arfcom say? Does this warrant a letter to the ATF asking for clarification?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maha:
I'm read it as such as well, implying two different criteria that is independent of each other.  What does arfcom say? Does this warrant a letter to the ATF asking for clarification?
View Quote

Most see it as all inclusive.  A lot are not willing to talk about it openly for what ever reason.  

I have thought about writing and asking about it, but I dont want to be "That Guy" that writes a letter and screws everyone.  I doubt anything negative will come from it but you never know with the ATF.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I am wondering  if they are pushing the 1/4 oz rule for safety reason. A 1/4 oz of powder is quite a bit. If you have a failure  it could be very dangerous.

I have also seen where bird bombs are illegal. Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am wondering  if they are pushing the 1/4 oz rule for safety reason. A 1/4 oz of powder is quite a bit. If you have a failure  it could be very dangerous.

I have also seen where bird bombs are illegal. Any truth to this?
View Quote

It is a lot of powder, and think of what you could do if the limit was higher.  A 60mm Mortar goes for over a mile.

IIRC Bird bombs are considered Anti Personel, so they must be fired out of a Registered DD.  Some states my have a ban on them but federally I have not seen anything.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:32:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Most see it as all inclusive.  A lot are not willing to talk about it openly for what ever reason.  

I have thought about writing and asking about it, but I dont want to be "That Guy" that writes a letter and screws everyone.  I doubt anything negative will come from it but you never know with the ATF.

MAHA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maha:

MAHA

I've thought about writing the same letter. IMO these situations call for some sort of official statement. Better to figure out black and white definitions then to operate in the grey. A lot of people already assumes 1/4 includes lift charge. ATF either confirming or denying this would do no one any harm.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
1/4 ounce is about 110 grains.  If the propellent charge was included in the net explosive weight, most rifle cartridges would be DDs.  Everything you need is in the regulation, writing a letter is unnecessary and probably lead to more confusion.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm leaning towards warhead only...
(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas, (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than 4 ounces, (D) missile having an explosive charge of more than 1/4 ounce, (E) mine or (F) similar device.
Missiles, I mean real missiles, have propellant and a warhead. There were solid-fuel and early liquid-fuel rockets in 1934. Solid-fuel rockets already had a history as military weapons.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Where I come from, rocket means a rocket motor with an explodey thing on the front.  A missile is a rocket with a guidance system stuffed in it somewhere.  I don't think this is what they mean.

I believe in this usage, 'missile' means 'thing that flies through the air however it may have gotten there', and would include what I would call a 'projectile'.  They address propellant charges specifically and separately.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
IIRC Bird bombs are considered Anti Personel, so they must be fired out of a Registered DD
View Quote

Last time I checked, they were simply restricted thanks to the CPSC. To purchase, you hafta have an agriculture or aviation issue, sign a form, and something else I forget.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I was wrong.

http://www.suttonag.com/epcd_license_help.html

In order to possess a firecracker in a shotgun shell made by someone else, you gotta have the same license a blaster needs....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top