Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2014 8:28:51 PM EDT
Just dropping this in here to get a second opinion on something.

I have an M72A3 launch tube that I'd like to Form-1 into a DD. I want to check to see if anyone else has already done this before and if so where did you mark it and/or did you get any guidance from the ATF on the placement of the markings?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I have an M72A3 launch tube that I'd like to Form-1 into a DD. I want to check to see if anyone else has already done this before and if so where did you mark it and/or did you get any guidance from the ATF on the placement of the markings?
View Quote

I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything but what are you planning on shooting out of it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything but what are you planning on shooting out of it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be determined. Probably the usual range of practice/fun rounds, solids, chalk, smoke, etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I am confused....it says you are from Ukraine.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]

ETA: Chalk rounds?  You thinking about of a M79?

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ETA: Chalk rounds?  You thinking about of a M79?

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=65289&d=1376568871  
View Quote

Yeah, I'm fairly sure I'm not thinking about an M79.

ETA: Still need an answer to my initial question about marking location.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You can place the markings wherever you want, provided they meed the ATF requirements (minimum 0.003" deep and 1/16" tall) and are not concealed by any grip/cover/etc.

Personally, I'd put them toward the middle of the launcher, as this is the least likely area for damage to occur due to a failure, and would experience the least wear.

Also if a failure does occur in that area, you may not have enough head left to worry about fixing your launcher!

Best of luck on your build!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren't the rounds themselves the DD component?  The 35mm  subcal are not Title II restricted to the best of my knowledge, they showup on Gunbroker from time to time about $200-300 per shot.

I believe the full-sized dia practice rocket is, too, although more rare than the 35mms

A fired LAW tube is considered expended ammunition like a pc of 5.56 brass

and I doubt Talley is going to be of any assistance selling to the civilian market anything including tube repair/replacement parts or decals.  I tried getting a  replacement shoulder strap assy and was told nothing was available.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I got fairly lucky in that this is an intact and complete launcher. Still have to DD the tube though if I want to rearm it. Thankfully I wont have to DD each projectile if I stick to training (solid or chalk filled) or signalling (flare or smoke) rockets.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have not done this nor have I heard of someone doing this.

But, what about a markings near the trigger assembly?

--

What is your plan with re-loading?

The firing train is simple, yet, a pain to currently reload:

Just a couple screws...

I would be very interested in your firing train from percussion to NONEL to ______ ?

~Will
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an M72 with the subcal adapter installed.  It's got an apparatus on the back that opens up to install the primer/firing train from the subcal rocket.  If I were going to do something like that, I would mimic that setup.  It looks just like the above picture, but it's designed to be reloadable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Could you post some pictures of that? An easier to reload primer system was definitely on my mind.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Could you post some pictures of that? An easier to reload primer system was definitely on my mind.
View Quote

~Will
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#13]
What he says ^^
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Flash tube is simple enough to make also. Plastic tubing with a dusting of flash powder inside. Primer sets off the flash powder dusting, which transfers first fire to the rocket motor. If you plan on using Estes solid propellant engines, they are known to CATO from time to time... which prevents me from using them in 40mm rounds, and doing this with my LAW tube. GROG
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Question:

If all you're gonna do is shoot model rockets out of it why does it have to be classed as a dd?

For instance, think bulb nosed model rocket with a festival ball at the end of the parachute charge....

Shawn
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
2.6" is the size body tube you would need for the  standard tube Like This you'd need the appropriate nosecone, reducer and then body tube/fin can/motor housing....the Projo isnt the hard part, the ignition is..when i was thinking about it myself i thought i'd try to lay hands on a subcal rocket and try to reproduce the primer housing, maybe in brass, and thin wall brass tube with 4f bp to start the Rocket motor..basically poor man's flash tube.  The downside IMO is Model Rocket motors have a certain catastrophic failure rate..and having one sitting on your shoulder even though it'll be a foot or so behind you when it CATOs is a bad idea
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:01:15 AM EDT
[#17]
All you'd have to do, is get some styrofoam, and make a sabot for any sized rocket you wanted to put in there. Not as accurate repro-wise, but a workable solution.

and try to reproduce the primer housing, maybe in brass,
View Quote

Hm

wonder if a certain sized pistol casing might be cut down and fit in there.

The problem is the legality of the flexible tube. When I did bomb stuff, I built a powder actuated tool. ATF had a fit and said that I could electrically or mechanically or time fuse the item, but using Nonel (a brand of tube) made it some kinda firearm-like device.

I don't know if using the pistol brass, and a piece of 1/8th inch brass tubing radiused to the correct profile, sprayed internally with some adhesive, then shake some black powder through the tube would pass legal muster, but again, could be workable.

Shawn
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All you'd have to do, is get some styrofoam, and make a sabot for any sized rocket you wanted to put in there. Not as accurate repro-wise, but a workable solution.

Hm

The problem is the legality of the flexible tube. When I did bomb stuff, I built a powder actuated tool. ATF had a fit and said that I could electrically or mechanically or time fuse the item, but using Nonel (a brand of tube) made it some kinda firearm-like device.

I don't know if using the pistol brass, and a piece of 1/8th inch brass tubing radiused to the correct profile, sprayed internally with some adhesive, then shake some black powder through the tube would pass legal muster, but again, could be workable.

Shawn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

and try to reproduce the primer housing, maybe in brass,

Hm

Shawn

Unfortunately, there are ALOT of ATF agents that no clue what they are talking about.

Ask an Explosives Enforcement guy, they tend to know more than the average BATFE Agent-iot.

Cheers.

~Will
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Ask an Explosives Enforcement guy, they tend to know more than the average BATFE Agent-iot.
View Quote

Unfortunately, it was an EEO threatening me. Plus, the owner of a company that makes disrupters said the same thing, shock tube without a cap is supposed to be a low explosive, and every thing that goes with it.

Hey, but if you can find me something solid on the topic, even though I have no need for it anymore, I'd certainly like to tuck it away.

I was gonna send you the pdf on the guy that got raided with all the live 228's but lost your email. I'll PM you mine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Note! The Shock Tube Breech Bolt Insert may not be purchased with a disrupter or kit at the same time. Attaching the Shock Tube BB Insert #8 makes the cannon into an NFA weapon & must be registered with ATF.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top