Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 11:39:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody that I know of makes a 37mm chalk round commercially.  If you did find them, however, you would need to register your 37mm as a DD.  "only" flares, smoke and other signaling rounds can be used out of a 37mm without DD'ing it.  I registered my 37mm and got a spare tube which I had bored out to 40mm so I could use Chalk Rounds.  I also have a 40mm BeeHive round I use out of it.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#3]
After doing a bit of searching on here it seems like it all comes down to INTENT.

Flares are not INTENDED for launching at ground targets.  Could they be?  Sure, if launched at a PERSON then that person would get charged with using and possessing an unregistered DD.  (Anti-personnel)

Chalk MARKER rounds are INTENDED to be fired at ground targets and marking the impact.

Not signaling.  MARKING.

That's about all I gathered from a quick search.

Damn BATFE - a person NEEDS a lawyer to figure out what the hell their INTENT is from their decisions & rulings!

~Will
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Is anyone currently making and selling 37mm chalk rounds?

View Quote

There is no such animal. Only 40MM rounds that use orange dye for marking round impact.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Since when have 37mm chalk rounds been determined to be DD?  Last I knew, which was some years ago, chalk was still considered signalling rounds, which were not DD....
View Quote

The exception for flare launchers provided in the NFA specifies flares, smoke, and gas, or line launching. It does not exempt 37mm from DD requirements for ANY other ammunition, specifically anti-personnel ammunition.

Since there are no commercially manufactured "chalk" marking rounds in existance, the question about them being covered by the exemption has not been answered as of yet. IMO, if you desire to manufacture this type of ammunition, write a letter to ATF FTB, and ask for their ruling. Don't take legal advice from an internet forum. GROG
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top