Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2014 4:59:14 PM EDT
I see both are made so out of curiosity what are the pros and cons of each?  Rail mounted is free floated from the AR barrel but the barrel mounted would appear more secure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel mounting normally prevents free floating the barrel, but puts the firing stress on steel parts. Rail mounting allows you to free float your barrel, but puts all the firing stress on your rails.

I went with the option to do both and picked up one of the RIS II rails that let you free float the barrel mounted M203, so the firing stress is shared by the barrel nut and the rail, while the barrel stays free floated.

Now I'm just trying to save for the 203...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The LMT rail mounted 203 is really for their MRP platform.  Not all rails will hold up to repeated firing of the 203 especially with shotgun adapters etc.  The rails will bend where they attach to the barrel nut.  Don't think they will break, but you may mess up your rails.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Under stress i've seen traditional barrel mounts fall off twice (mounts work themselves open somehow, or shooters don't reassemble them properly), i've seen rail mounts on MK18 uppers but never seen one fall off.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The LMT rail mounted 203 is really for their MRP platform.  Not all rails will hold up to repeated firing of the 203 especially with shotgun adapters etc.  The rails will bend where they attach to the barrel nut.  Don't think they will break, but you may mess up your rails.  

View Quote

Funny that was what I was thinking.....that an MRP or Mega Arms upper would be a good candidate.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Under stress i've seen traditional barrel mounts fall off twice (mounts work themselves open somehow, or shooters don't reassemble them properly), i've seen rail mounts on MK18 uppers but never seen one fall off.
View Quote

That was another of my questions as to how much recoil one of these created?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
It feels about like a light shotgun load, to me... but there are a variety of things to shoot out of it, and not all are the same.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I decided to go with the traditional barrel mount since it just seems stronger and more durable to me. I do like the idea of the rail mount though, adds more flexibility to it, however the rails must be M203 rated. I have heard of a few instances of rails breaking also.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
rails break right off.
does barrel mount change POI much ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I built a rifle just to mount a '203.  It was considerably cheaper than a knights dedicated launcher mount, but it will never, ever get shot.  Because M203.  I've got other guns for shooting.

But yeah, I'd imagine it would affect the zero on your rifle if you cared about that sort of thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top