Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 3:54:29 AM EDT
I understand that the definition of "Destructive Device" includes poison gas.  However, in attempting research, I have been unable to locate any evidence than anyone has actually tried to register poison gas with the ATF.  If this has been done/attempted before, I am interested in hearing what was required.  Particularly, what did the ATF require with respect to serial numbering the gas?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#1]
This has my interests

Considering THIS could be construed as being DD.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I understand that the definition of "Destructive Device" includes poison gas.  However, in attempting research, I have been unable to locate any evidence than anyone has actually tried to register poison gas with the ATF.  If this has been done/attempted before, I am interested in hearing what was required.  Particularly, what did the ATF require with respect to serial numbering the gas?
View Quote

There are all sorts of "POISON GAS"'s out there, can you be a little more specific?

The 'Destructive Device' is the DEVICE not the FILLER material.  The term 'poison gas' is relative to the CONTAINER that it is used in.  

(f) Destructive device
The term “destructive device” means
(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas

(A) bomb,
 (B) grenade,
 (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces,
 (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
 (E) mine, or
 (F) similar device;

(2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and

(3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.
View Quote

Some other toxic industrial chemicals or toxic industrial materials (TIC's & TIM's) are regulated by OSHA and by the DEA (that are on the schedules for drug manufacture precursors).

Really, it comes down to the States that have laws codifying the illegal nature of making devices that dispense toxins or chemical agents of a terroristic nature.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/emergencypreparedness/guides/chemical.html

http://deploymenthealthlibrary.fhp.osd.mil/Product/RetrieveFile?prodId=301
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
What about those "bombs", which you get from a Veterinarian, to kill fleas?

You have to leave the house, once you trigger one, so do we now need permission from BATFE to kill fucking fleas?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have to leave the house, once you trigger one, so do we now need permission from BATFE to kill fucking fleas?
View Quote

Yes.  But ONLY in Kommunist Konnetikut.  $200 stamp and only available on leap years, fourth Thursday of February.

Seriously though, just because a retailer calls something a "BOMB", like bug bomb or fogging bomb, doesn't make it  a "BOMB" in the eyes of the ATF.

The ATF is subject to suddenly reverse course in their decisions & interpretations.

But don't let me dissuade any anti-GUV'MINT rants though, this is ARF after all !

Will
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seriously though, just because a retailer calls something a "BOMB", like bug bomb or fogging bomb, doesn't make it  a "BOMB" in the eyes of the ATF.

Will
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will

This week.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Poison gas is against the Geneva convention.
I'm no expert, but I would think you would be rejected from ATF approval
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Poison gas is against the Geneva convention.
I'm no expert, but I would think you would be rejected from ATF approval
View Quote

Really?  Which part of "the Geneva Convention"?  And WHO does the Geneva convention pertain to again?

Is that why we (the USA) have stockpiles of chemical weapons?  Or that we STILL produce it?   Hmmm.

Here you go though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Protocol

Education is key.

~Will
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Potentially a (1)(F) 'poison gas other device' could be applied to certain active denial devices marketed for safes in the old days. Otherwise, I think that was codified as a catch-all in interests of completeness.

But I could be wrong....

Shawn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top