Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2014 10:28:09 PM EDT
My FFL and I are looking for info to reload some 37 and 40 mm shells.

What are the best shells to use? Is black powder preferred over smokeless?

I am thinking mostly shooting smoke and other random stuff.

Thanks

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That is some heavy stuff...

Try google.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You might ask over on grog's DD forum.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a few Youtube videos on making them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I load for and make my own 37mm shells
The powder depending on the shells you have.
I have some plastic shells and aluminum shells I use real black powder fff grade. I have tried some other types but not work as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Ordered the 12" Havoc today. Should be here next week. I am ordering some shells and supplies later tonight.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
If you need any help feel free to email me I can try and help
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I reload every now and then. depending on the charge I really want, I typically stay between 40 and 80 grains of pyrodex fffg (remember black powder is measured by volume and not weight) I use standard aluminum hulls.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#8]
What do you load?. I have done some simple flying fish fireworks and test weights for smoke bombs. I have loaded some firework mortars into 37mm casings. With out Form 1ing it into a DD I don't know what else to do.

So what are you loading that isn't a DD.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Right now I make several types of projectiles
1) smoke rounds using potassium nitrate  (stump remover) and powdered sugar.
2) marker / "fire fighting" round. Made with abc fire extinguisher power mixed with orange chalk and a bursting charge.  this is a safer round for dry locations and makes a easy to see orange cloud
3) fire work round using flying fish and strobe fuse and bursting charge
4) flash with audible round. this works well  at night. it makes a nice bright whit flash with a  bang that get your attention. I use a bursting charge mixed with steel powder
5) Incendiary rounds for setting back fires or lighting  large bonfires. This is a simple mix of smoke mixture and magnesium or in place of the magnesium a mixture of iron oxide and aluminium powder.

From my take (and this is only my take) on the laws,  it is the intended use of the round and not the round it self that puts it in a D.D. category unless you use over 1/4 of of explosive powder in the round then no matter what the intent is it is still a D.D. round. If you  use it as an anti personal / equipment  round then it will fall under a D.D. so  If you use a flare round and shoot it at a person that will be considered a D.D. but If you use it for signal or other use that will not harm person or property you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]
you really should consider getting it registered as a D.D.  if you can legally do it is your area. it is well worth it just so you can shoot anything out of it and not worry.
My paperwork has been in since march,14 just so I can shoot anything from mine.

I have already worked up light recoil 12 ga shot shell loads for mine using trailboss powder and lead shot. I used a T/C encore single shot 12 ga  to test the loads. this is a light weigh shotgun and with normal shells kicks good. With the trailboss loads there was no recoil and I was able to hit clay skeet sitting  on a  post 40 yards out and destroy them. I don't know if this would be a great close range small game load but should work well enough.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have thought about registering it, but everything I want to shoot qualifies as a DD itself and is 40mm.  I still might just so I dont have to worry.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have thought about registering it, but everything I want to shoot qualifies as a DD itself and is 40mm.  I still might just so I dont have to worry.

MAHA
View Quote

Just remember that much of the legal theory re signalling vs antipersonell is speculation.  The BATFolks may disagree with your analysis and prosecute you.  I registered my launchers for peace of mind.  Now I am not worried about how my chalk rounds would be interpreted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top