Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2014 8:16:52 AM EDT
I recently bought a demilled RPG-7 and thinking about getting a tax stamp to make it a DD.  The demil hole in the barrel is under the heatshields.  I've heard that the barrel is made from two sections that are welded together.  If so, does anyone have any experience getting a barrel made to replace the demiled barrel section?  Also has anyone seen the Czech 7.62x39 subcaliber rounds?  I should have jumped them several years ago when they were plentiful.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump...  Lots of folks looking at this thread, but I guess no one has reactivated an RPG-7 yet...
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't the Czech subcaliber rounds need to be registered as an SBR?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The last I saw a couple of years ago, they are treated as title I firearms.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't the Czech subcaliber rounds need to be registered as an SBR?
View Quote

No.  

Unless things have changed, these fall under the exception for guns like the Lakeside Machine .22 miniature copy of the 1919 - it lacks any traditional pistol grip and does not fit the definition of a rifle or a pistol.

There is also debate on whether sub cal devices are Title 1 or whether they are the same as an AR-15 upper;  both require a trigger mechanism to "function as intended."   However, many sellers choose to act with caution and treat them as Title 1 just the be abundantly careful.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm considering the same thing. Does your demil have a rod welded across the bore as well as the hole in the side under the heat shields? Mine has it welded into the firing pin hole. I'm curious if the rod MUST be in the firing pin hole, or if it can be back a bit further yet far enough ahead a rocket with booster charge can't be inserted. I recall someone who apparently had the pin back further and had a functioning firing pin but had someone machine a slot along the length of the Czech subcaliber dummy rocket so it would slide in all the way and seat correctly. The cut did not affect the sub-caliber firing mechanism. There was no need to repair the bore-sized hole in the barrel and thus I believe it didn't have a stamp. Then you get into the (at least to me) gray area of whether it's therefore a title 1 and there's not exactly a lot of RPG '922 compliant' parts out there, etc. I'm very curious, though, and it SEEMS it's possible to work around a stamp. If I do get my hands on a sub-caliber dummy I think I'd delve into it further, but I've not seen one in months.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
We finally received our approved Form 1 for our Bulgarian RPG-7. We will be using it to fire the Czech sub-caliber 7.62x39 "rockets" but in no way, shape or form would I ever attempt to fire a real rocket out of it. I don't have enough faith in rewelded metal that is placed directly alongside my (or any of the staff's) face.

I will get pics when we finish it.

V/R
Ron M Cheney
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been away from the forum for a while but I will be doing a build thread for the reactivation of my rpg7 here in a month or so when I get my the spindle back for my mill. I will also be modifying the cz subcal trainer to look a little more realistic.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If I were doing form 1 on a '7 to shoot subcal only, I wouldn't bother with the hole.

I have an approved form 1 for an RPG 2 in hand, and will be doing a full reactivation in the not too distant future.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you welding up the hole in the barrel or getting a new barrel made?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't know yet.  I like the idea of a commie tube.

So far, the idea I like best is cutting two demils in half, and welding them together.  Some have a hole under the heatshield (like the one I have now), some have a hole on the front end, exposed.  I could take the front of one, and the back of another, and could do a radial seam under the heat shield, with another piece of metal over the top of that, and it would all be hidden under the shield.  Obviously, the pin through the firing pin hole will need to be fixed, and the threads restored.

There are some other things to consider.  It's got a chrome bore, the welded area won't be chrome lined.  Black powder is nasty.  I'd probably have to take extra care to make sure it was clean and didn't rust after I fired it.  

I will consult with metallurgists and ninja welder dudes before I undertake the project.  If I can't convince myself it's going to work, I won't do it.  I'll probably go the new tube route.  Either way, It will be extensively tested before I put it next to my grape.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy an airtronics?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I would, but I've heard they don't sell to non-government entities.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

ah was just about to ask how much they cost.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other problem with the Airtronics is Airtronics.  It looks like an RPG7 that a 12 year old airsoft player would make.  I'm into historic military weapons.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

About 5 to 7.5k for an Airtronics the one time I've seen one for sale...

For an RPG.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top