Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2014 11:25:47 PM EDT
I read on the internet (Yes, I know how that sounds) that the U.S. military pen flares, or at least the launcher, is considered a destructive device.  No help from the ATF website.  

Can anybody confirm/deny this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you can buy the civilian versions online, also remember seeing a military version for sale at gunshows.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
No, the pen flares are not DDs, they are a pyrotechnic signaling device. However some states may have restrictions due to fire risks.

There are numerous companies that make pen flares for civilians and mil, and if you can place an order for thousands (or tens of thousands) of them, you can get the same ones the mil are using.

Here is the main one that sells to civis: http://www.truflareusa.com/product_catalog.htm

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The real deal

Don't know if they take small orders or sell to non .gov

Update: I called the company, they do not sell individual kits. Minimum order is 100 units and price is based on terms negotiated. They do not have distributors. The only way to get one is to get issued one, unless some company was to sweet talk them into selling some for resale, and then I am sure it would be for military only.

Just a FYI.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Pen Flares are not NFA items.

If you have the adapters to fire cartridges then it is a AOW/smooth bore any other weapons.

The old pen guns are AOW's.  From my understanding a manufacturer can make them and transfer on $5 transfer, but for some reason it is a $200 transfer for an individual to make one and then $5 each subsequent transfer - or that is what I am told by someone who used to be head of the NFA Branch back in the early 1980's who retired to my area. So subject to revision.

Pen flares are ok, even the bird bomb style - which should not be readily available on the civilian market since none were imported from Germany.  I think they were made by Feistel, who made the first stun grenades used by the SEALs, SF and the SAS.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I read on the internet (Yes, I know how that sounds) that the U.S. military pen flares, or at least the launcher, is considered a destructive device.  No help from the ATF website.  

Can anybody confirm/deny this?

Thanks.
View Quote

Not that ive ever heard of...the changed the design from the screw-in flare to the press-fit because people were using surplus ones as the basis for Pen guns..but the device and rounds by themselves are not regulated AFAIK
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pen flares are POS' there are better signalling options on the civilian market.
View Quote

I personally think, for the size & weight they are pretty damn good.

What other options are there and are they available?

Will
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Are the old style ALS smokes still considered DD's?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your talkin about m18 smoke grenades they never where a dd
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the ALS branded smoke with the instant activation fuses.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

it never got that far...BATF started talking about classifying the fuses as DD's, and in response the Industry basically stopped selling anything with an M-201 to the general Public.  You can still find them out there..but they're about 3 times the price they used to be.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

it never got that far...BATF started talking about classifying the fuses as DD's, and in response the Industry basically stopped selling anything with an M-201 to the general Public.  You can still find them out there..but they're about 3 times the price they used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they weren't specifically labelled DD's then from what you're telling me. Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So they weren't specifically labelled DD's then from what you're telling me. Good to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope the companies like ATS stopped selling to the public to keep them from being designated that way....
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nope the companies like ATS stopped selling to the public to keep them from being designated that way....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My apologies to the OP on the thread derail. And I meant no offense with my question. I have a couple ALS pockets, and didn't know if they were verboten.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top